Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Door rubbers stick to door jam paint

Quote Originally Posted by carnage View Post
    Would you use a black microfiber cloth on wheels because of the brake dust?
    NO. I do the first passes with a Boar`s Hair Brush then follow up with a sheepskin mitt.

When I do a quickie wheel/tire job with a Rinseless Wash (between regular washes) I still start with a BHB and then use a MF in a color that shows dirt, including brake dust. That way I can see where the towel is soiled and avoid letting that touch anything. If/when the towel gets/stays stained I don`t care.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    ..On any surface color of the MF doesn`t really matter it`s personal preference. Pink yellow white blue black whatever
    Though I still can`t figure out how anybody can tell if a black/dark MF gets soiled (with dark dirt). I have a dark gray one I got from the PO of my Crown Vic, and I`d never touch my paint with it as I can`t tell if its contaminated/not.

Hey, Pink and Yellow would be good! I do have a yellow WWMF Bug Towel (and some orange ones), but Pink would be kinda cool IMO.

Oh, and thanks for clarifying my earlier post; apparently, I`m not communicating too well on this thread

Post Thanks / Like

@ Accumulator Thanks for the replies!

Post Thanks / Like

carnage- You`re quite welcome, though I feel that I somehow didn`t communicate all that well.
    Likes carnage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    carnage- You`re quite welcome, though I feel that I somehow didn`t communicate all that well.
    It`s your opinion and that whats count.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m using the Gummi pfledge on rubbers & fk1000p on paint, no stick at all. However the rubbers leave a residue of the gummi pfledge on the paint & had to use alcohol to clean it off. You can see it clearly on the dark black strips in the door jams.

Is this because I have applied too much coats of gummi pfledge or didn`t let the product air dry enough?

I applied one coat per day for 3 days just to allow the product to sink in the rubber. And kept doors open for about 20-30mins before closing after each application. I noticed a few days after the rubbers are soft & feel almost wet so maybe this is just unavoidable?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Manix View Post
    I`m using the Gummi pfledge on rubbers & fk1000p on paint, no stick at all. However the rubbers leave a residue of the gummi pfledge on the paint...
    You`re using the 1Z/NextZ version, right? I found the Wurth stuff a little better in this regard but it`s awfully pricey.

Is this because I have applied too much coats of gummi pfledge or didn`t let the product air dry enough?
    Yes.

Unless you have a really good reason to apply so much, just do one coat. Rub that in pretty well. Wipe off any significant excess (yeah, that can precipitate the need to reapply..chance you take) with an old MF (don`t use cotton, can leave obvious lint) and leave the doors open until the stuff is genuinely dry.

Per usual, there are a whole lotta reasons why YMMV, so IMO it`s just one of those things. But if you apply less and let it dry better you might solve the problem. I don`t think I`d spend for the Wurth unless you`re just into the whole Trying New/Different Stuff approach to this stuff.

Ya know, I`m a little surprised you had to resort to IPA to get the residue off..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    You`re using the 1Z/NextZ version, right? I found the Wurth stuff a little better in this regard but it`s awfully pricey.

Yes.

Unless you have a really good reason to apply so much, just do one coat. Rub that in pretty well. Wipe off any significant excess (yeah, that can precipitate the need to reapply..chance you take) with an old MF (don`t use cotton, can leave obvious lint) and leave the doors open until the stuff is genuinely dry.

Per usual, there are a whole lotta reasons why YMMV, so IMO it`s just one of those things. But if you apply less and let it dry better you might solve the problem. I don`t think I`d spend for the Wurth unless you`re just into the whole Trying New/Different Stuff approach to this stuff.

Ya know, I`m a little surprised you had to resort to IPA to get the residue off..
    Hi Accumulator.

Yes I have the 1Z/NextZ product.

I applied a few coats so it would soak into the rubbers as they clearly haven`t had anything on them in years, that was my thinking. Getting the residue off was very hard with just water on tissue so I just reached for IPA. Perhaps watered down would have worked to.

Post Thanks / Like

Manix- I`ve done a lot of really dried-out seals that`d never been treated before. Even in those cases, I try to not over-apply the stuff, figure I can just improve things incrementally. I never close the doors/hatch/etc. until the seals feel dry to the touch, often leaving them open overnight or even for a day or so.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information