Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Door rubbers stick to door jam paint

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Would not be very extended use as you`d prep them once and then maintain with something like the Gummi Pflege (which I`ve used, with zero issues, for decades).

I use 1Z Cockpit Premium on the door seals. Every time I wipe them down my microfiber cloth gets black. I`m not sure if i`m getting them clean or there just also getting dirty. I wipe them down at least once a month.

What do you use on sunroof seal to clean and to protect if you have one? Will a coating work on sunroof seal?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carnage View Post
    I use 1Z Cockpit Premium on the door seals. Every time I wipe them down my microfiber cloth gets black. I`m not sure if i`m getting them clean or there just also getting dirty. I wipe them down at least once a month...
    Huh, in all the times I`ve use the 1Z CP (like..every time I wash an Audi) I`ve never used it for the seals! It seems awfully...uhm..."light" for that sort of thing. With interior surfaces I want that..minimal residue after flashing off. BUT for seals I want *lots* of residue..I want as much of that stuff to soak into the seals and saturate them (and keep `em that way) as possible.

My seal-wiping cloth gets stained sometimes, if I`ve let it go for a while, but that staining is limited and quits by the time I`ve finished applying whatever I`ve used (it`s never just a "one pass" situation any more than any other aspect of the wash seems to be). When I do a "big job" and prep/seal them the staining doesn`t happen again for a long, long time (I only do that big job very infrequently).

When you get the seals/etc. thoroughly clean...zero staining...and treated (additional applications don`t soak in), do they start staining again very quickly? The big job will hold mine for months on end; a quicky job lasts pretty much from wash-to-wash but even then the staining only happens on the first pass of a few particular seals.

What do you use on sunroof seal to clean and to protect if you have one? Will a coating work on sunroof seal?
    I just wipe them with whatever I`m using as my Drying Aid. All three Audis have sunroofs, but I don`t open them once per decade and to be honest, I just don`t worry about their seals as they don`t leak/etc.

Eh, there are all sorts of different "sunroof seals" and mine have felt-like "cat`s whiskers" stuff so I`m just glad I can basically sidestep the whole issue.

BUT...yeah, same thing. If a sunroof had a rubber seal around its perimeter, I`d prep it with Griot`s Rubber Prep (keep going until zero staining) and then I`d seal it with Ultima`s Tire & Trim Guard+ (multiple applications until you`re satisfied it doesn`t need any more) . I know I`m a broken record on that combo, but it simply *WORKS* for me, on all sorts of plastic/rubber surfaces that I had originally never planned to use it on.

If somebody would rather use Wurth Rubber Care or one of the Gummi Pflege sticks instead of the Ultima I can understand that...but I`d be using one of those approaches instead of the 1Z CP.

Post Thanks / Like

@ Accumulator The reason I use 1Z CP is because it light cleaning and non oily. I read it on other forums and gave it a try. The only down side is it weak on cleaning the door seal but great on interior.I think I`m going to try a weak solution of D101 and make it stronger as needed and see if that works. I also have the Ultima trim & tire plus and Gummi Pflege never used them yet. Does the Ultima washes off easy like during washing the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Carnage- No, IME the Ultima TTG+ doesn`t wash off, it stays put and lasts quite a while. Eh, I never like to say just how long stuff lasts for me since my vehicles are pretty pampered these days, and I`m *not* using the Ultima on the two dailies at present (just a situational thing, will probably use it on them too eventually). But I *am* pretty confident that it`ll last longer than anything you`ve used so far. I`m still a little surprised how much I like the stuff, even put it on a bunch of underhood bits.

I`d sure use the Griot`s Rubber Prep instead of an APC, but OK OK, sorry... I`ll quit harping on that.

Are you able to get the seals to quit shedding the "black staining"? I`d think that would be a sign that you got through the "dead"/oxidized rubber, down to the "still OK" level which is what I`d be treating with the Ultima TTG+.

And yeah, the 1Z CP *is* great for interiors! Just not the right stuff for the seals IMO. If the seals are shedding "black stain stuff" then I`d want to deal with that better than the 1Z CP can do.

Post Thanks / Like

Manix- Your experiences make that Rejex sound like the worst LSP ever.

AFTER cleaning the seals *THOROUGHLY* with Griot`s Rubber Prep (and no, I don`t know of anything else that`d be as good... including IPA), I`d use the Gummi Pflege on the seals (let it dry thoroughly before closing the doors) and (after proper prep of course) a better LSP (e.g., FK1000P) on the painted surfaces that the seals contact.

Might need to do the seals over and over and over again...I lost count of how many times I did it to the `00 Tahoe and the `93 Audi, both of which had really dried-out seals, but they eventually stopped soaking it up (and just drying out again within a few days or a week) and they`ve stayed nice ever since with very infrequent reapplications. Don`t give up after just a dozen applications if it seems they could still stand more...at that point you might just be getting started!

The Gummi Pflege from Wurth costs a lot more, but is just a bit "cleaner", and IMO incrementally better over all, but not enough so that most people would ever notice. Both it and the 1Z/NextZett (is that the right name now?) do dry cleanly; no dirt-retention nor staining if you rub against them.

I don`t hate on silicone/etc. lubes or grease but those`re never as clean as I`d want for something that might contact paint, glass or clothing.

And, heh heh...you guys who act like a 16YO car is *old*...
    Hi.

All these products appear to be nothing what their advertised, even 303 surface protector for my interior. Sitting in my room for 4 months on my headlight covers Rejex was still noticeable on there covered in dust. Outside though it gets stripped so easy. I liked rejex as it was easy to apply, just wipe on with a rag straight out of bottle & wipe off haze 10mins later. FK1000p looks a bit too much work with needing to heat it up, will see.

I will try the Gummi Pflege on door rubbers, but i think IPA is sufficient at cleaning them, unless my ride was a Ferrari. Seems to be more the rubber that causes the sticking, front rubbers are alot better than rear doors.

Thanks for advice

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Manix View Post

FK1000p looks a bit too much work with needing to heat it up, will see.
    FK1000 I find very easy to work with. Just remember a little goes a long long long way. Apply it thin and you will have no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Manix View Post
    Sitting in my room for 4 months on my headlight covers Rejex was still noticeable on there covered in dust. Outside though it gets stripped so easy. I liked rejex as it was easy to apply, just wipe on with a rag straight out of bottle & wipe off haze 10mins later. FK1000p looks a bit too much work with needing to heat it up, will see...
    Heh heh, sitting inside I`d expect something like a Quick Detailer to last that long

I don`t heat up the Fk1000P or do anything fancy, just apply it nice and thin like any LSP. I`ve never *once* given its user-friendliness a moment`s thought.
    I will try the Gummi Pflege on door rubbers, but i think IPA is sufficient at cleaning them, unless my ride was a Ferrari. Seems to be more the rubber that causes the sticking, front rubbers are alot better than rear doors.
    Heh heh, I`d be a lot more concerned about using the best stuff on the door seals of a daily driver than I would be about the seals on an exotic, especially if there`s an issue such as what prompted this thread

Does the IPA actually get the seals thoroughly clean, as in...zero black transfer? I`m leaving aside the Q of whether IPA is good for rubber on a regular basis (I don`t know but suspect it might not be due to potential drying-it-out issues). If I seem extreme about this, note that IMO the prep of any surface is at least as important as whatever you put on it afterwards.

Post Thanks / Like

@ Accumulator I do have D108 if I need something stronger for cleaning the seals. Do you have to go over the seal with something after the APC cleaning like car wash soap and hose it down or APC and wipe dry?

Can the Ultima TTG+ be used on plastic like mailboxes to prevent it from faded (sun uv)? The neighbor mailbox is turning white from the sun uv and I want to prevent that from happening to mine. I wonder if a plastic coating would work.

Post Thanks / Like

@ Accumulator I do have D108 if I need something stronger for cleaning the seals. Do you have to go over the seal with something after the APC cleaning like car wash soap and hose it down or APC and wipe dry?
    AFAIK all APCs should be rinsed off, or at least the ones I use do but I don`t really know from the ones you`ve mentioned.

I guess you just need to use *something* and get down to "good rubber" that isn`t leaving the staining. This is *almost* always possible IME but some cpmpromised/old rubber just always keeps transferring the black stuff and in those cases I just don`t worry about it; I clean it pretty well and then seal it and quit caring.

Note that it can sometimes take a *LONG* time to prep neglected seals. Pick a section and use whatever you`re gonna use and see how it goes. If it takes [however long] then you`ll have to decide whether you really care all that much, but at least you`ll know more about the situation than you do now. On a few of my vehicles, I spent countless hours over the course of many days getting them prepped, but they`ve stayed pretty decent since that Big Job with only minimal upkeep.

Can the Ultima TTG+ be used on plastic like mailboxes to prevent it from faded (sun uv)? The neighbor mailbox is turning white from the sun uv and I want to prevent that from happening to mine. I wonder if a plastic coating would work.
    Huh, good question...I have no idea at all how well the Ultima TTG+ *really* protects against UV exposure, but of course the ad-copy says it`s great for that. I guess I`d try it and maybe maintain it with something easier/cheaper like OCW. Yeah, those black plastic mailboxes *do* usually start looking awful after a while (never had one myself..).

Post Thanks / Like

I have a week off from work and I`ll experiment with what I have and see what works.

Didn`t Corey (ceedog) did a experiment with the Ultima TTG+ on a plastic trash can lid or something?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a week off from work and I`ll experiment with what I have and see what works....
    That sounds good, see how it goes. Get down to "good rubber".

Didn`t Corey (ceedog) did a experiment with the Ultima TTG+ on a plastic trash can lid or something?
    Hmmm..must`ve missed that one.

Post Thanks / Like

@ Accumulator Should I use a black microfiber for the first couple wipe down then finish with a lighter cloth to see if there any black residue coming off?

Post Thanks / Like

@ Accumulator Should I use a black microfiber for the first couple wipe down then finish with a lighter cloth to see if there any black residue coming off?
    I wouldn`t use a black MF for anything, period. Why use a color that doesn`t show contamination as readily as [some other color]? Stained is stained, and I want to *SEE* such stuff so I`m informed. I dunno how anybody sells a single black MF.

Sure, I have towels (MF and cotton) that`re obviously stained. Some stains matter to me, other stains don`t. But at least I can readily see what`s-what.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn`t use a black MF for anything, period. Why use a color that doesn`t show contamination as readily as [some other color]? Stained is stained, and I want to *SEE* such stuff so I`m informed. I dunno how anybody sells a single black MF. Sure, I have towels (MF and cotton) that`re obviously stained. Some stains matter to me, other stains don`t. But at least I can readily see what`s-what.
    Would you use a black microfiber cloth on wheels because of the brake dust?

Post Thanks / Like

The color of MF doesn`t matter the point he is trying to make is about seeing the lack of black transfer when cleaning rubber and or plastic pieces. You want that transfer to end and know you have a clean surface.

On any surface color of the MF doesn`t really matter it`s personal preference. Pink yellow white blue black whatever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information