Thread: Garage Heater

Post Thanks / Like

Garage Heater

Received an email today from Rural King with some crazy deals on garage heaters. I have never run a heater in my garage before, but would like to continue detailing through the winter so this has become a necessity.

There is a 4kw on sale for $$49.93
    Comfort Zone 4,000W 240V Electric Mount Garage/Industrial Heater CZ245 by World And Main (cranbury, Llc for $49.93 in Heating Clearance : Rural King

There is also a 5kw on sale for $69.99
    Comfort Zone Industrial Steel Electric 5000 Watt Ceiling Mount Heater - White (CZ220) by World And Main (cranbury, Llc for $89.99 in Electric Heaters - Heating - Cooling - Heating - Hardware : Rural King

Not on sale, but there is a 7.5kw for $149.99
    Comfort Zone Fan-Forced 7500 Watt Ceiling Mount Heater CZ230 by World And Main (cranbury, Llc for $149.99 in Electric Heaters - Heating - Cooling - Heating - Hardware : Rural King

The 4kw heater states that it can heat up to a 1800 sq ft area - I have a 3 car garage with 12` ceilings, so no issue with that. I just don`t want to buy 2 of something, or have to buy larger down the line. On the flip side, any time I can save money, the happier I am!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Garage Heater

shakinghorizons- I`m pretty ignorant about the whole heater thing, but I wouldn`t be *too* quick to say you don`t want more than one. FWIW I do prefer numerous (if smaller) units to more evenly distribute the heat. (In my first shop we used a kerosene torpedo-style heater and I ended up hating it, but not as much as I hated the cold.)

Post Thanks / Like

With electric heaters electric bill will go through the roof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes trashmanssd, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Civicclutch View Post
    With electric heaters electric bill will go through the roof
    True. My wife has a fairly small one she runs in her study and the diff on our bill was immediately apparent.

Post Thanks / Like

Not concerned about this unit on the electricity bill. It would be run rarely and the solar panels should offset the "extra" cost.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

For the small price difference on units I would say go big or go home. Unless you have a long run from where ever your main or sub panel is then may want to go medium as that unit should require smaller wire and may be a big difference in the price to install. I am adding one these to my attached garage next year for convince, I want it to run off a real thermostat and be able to set it at 40-45 degrees as protection from getting to cold so I can leave everything in the garage and stop bring stuff in for the winter. When I warm it up I usually just open door to the house and put small fan in the door way takes no time to warm up. Also got a look in the attic space above my garage and there is no insulation (I insulated the walls when I had it sheetrocked last year) so I am having a hatch put in this summer and having it insulated, that should make a big difference on holding the temp more stable. Detached garage is getting the interior finished this summer also. Putting in a heat pump system to do heat and A/C. Also adding more lights and more outlets and having it insulated and sheetrocked. Lots of man cave up grades. Also may add nice wall mounted metal cabinets to the house garage if there is enough money left over when I finish the rest the work.

Post Thanks / Like

Bumping this from earlier this year as temps are starting to come down around here and I never purchased anything.

The 4kw unit is out as it just isn`t big enough.

The 5kw and 7.5kw confuse me though.....they are both listed as max BTU of 17060. I can`t see a fan consuming 2.5kw, that would be insane.
    Reflective Impressions
    www.instagram.com/reflectiveimpressions
    Authorized Feynlab Installer

Post Thanks / Like

The price difference is so small, go big, you can always turn it off. Too small and you`ll be doing this again.
    Likes ShakingHorizons liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

How nice that you have Solar !!! I have been playing with the idea for awhile..

I would start first with insulating the entire garage, all walls, the ceiling, and get a thick insulated garage door..
    And of course, that means all the walls are also drywalled, 3/4" fireblock drywall if possible..
    And then if you are going to that much work, get it all wired up for extra 20 amp circuits throughout on their own breaker/s..

Then, whatever heating unit you pick, it can probably be much smaller but will still do a very efficient job, since the garage is now almost equivalent to the interior of the house in terms of achieving a more even temperature and then holding it for a longer time..

My current garage is at those specs and I find after awhile, I get too hot out there because of the extra energy I`m using, and I turn the small space heater down or off.. But of course, I am nowhere near the cold you are getting up there in Colorado; it`s only getting down to the 40`s and sometimes in the 30`s..
    Good luck with your project !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I have been bugging the wife for last week or so to get a hold our electrician and get him started on putting in a electric heater in the house garage. I want to go with a little more expensive of a unit so I feel comfortable leaving it on all the time on a thermostat (hoping more money means better quality and saver to leave running un attended). Also want one that can do 5K and 7.5K watts just in case i need more or less power to heat the garage. I got a Nest smoke detector/ carbon dioxide detector to put in the garage so I will get alerts if there is a fire or problem while I am not home. I am installing them all over the house also for peace of mind, my dogs left home alone and as silly as it is we couldn`t have kids and have way over compensated with the darn dog and I worry about the little monster all day.

With a 3 car garage I would go 7500 watts and maybe a extra fan on the opposite end of the garage pushing air back to get good circulation going for even heat distribution. Can just use a box fan or small escalating fan or invest in a decent wall mount that will help in the summer and bonus for winter for circulation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    How nice that you have Solar !!! I have been playing with the idea for awhile..

I would start first with insulating the entire garage, all walls, the ceiling, and get a thick insulated garage door..
    And of course, that means all the walls are also drywalled, 3/4" fireblock drywall if possible..
    And then if you are going to that much work, get it all wired up for extra 20 amp circuits throughout on their own breaker/s..

Then, whatever heating unit you pick, it can probably be much smaller but will still do a very efficient job, since the garage is now almost equivalent to the interior of the house in terms of achieving a more even temperature and then holding it for a longer time..

My current garage is at those specs and I find after awhile, I get too hot out there because of the extra energy I`m using, and I turn the small space heater down or off.. But of course, I am nowhere near the cold you are getting up there in Colorado; it`s only getting down to the 40`s and sometimes in the 30`s..
    Good luck with your project !
    Dan F
    SO glad to have you back on the forums again Dan!!!

The garage is completely insulated and sheet-rocked, along with the garage door being insulated.

The main reason I want a heater is to still be able to offer ceramic coatings in the winter and so I don`t have to bring my detailing supplies to the basement.
    Reflective Impressions
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    I have been bugging the wife for last week or so to get a hold our electrician and get him started on putting in a electric heater in the house garage. I want to go with a little more expensive of a unit so I feel comfortable leaving it on all the time on a thermostat (hoping more money means better quality and saver to leave running un attended). Also want one that can do 5K and 7.5K watts just in case i need more or less power to heat the garage. I got a Nest smoke detector/ carbon dioxide detector to put in the garage so I will get alerts if there is a fire or problem while I am not home. I am installing them all over the house also for peace of mind, my dogs left home alone and as silly as it is we couldn`t have kids and have way over compensated with the darn dog and I worry about the little monster all day.

With a 3 car garage I would go 7500 watts and maybe a extra fan on the opposite end of the garage pushing air back to get good circulation going for even heat distribution. Can just use a box fan or small escalating fan or invest in a decent wall mount that will help in the summer and bonus for winter for circulation.
    Thank you for the comments. I currently have 4 wall-mounted fans, so circulation is not a problem.
    Reflective Impressions
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Last year I bought a 4kw 220V heater for my 840sq/ft garage fully insulated 13 in walls 19 in ceiling and 5 on the 2 doors. Even on the coldest day last year ~18F I didnt have to turn the "thermostat" past the lo setting and it would warm up to over 55 in less than 15 minutes and stay nice and toasty, I leave it on all winter at the first dot which is 2 dots from lo and it keeps the garage/products from freezing. ITS AWESOME and I do not need anything bigger. I would bet money that the 4kW would do you fine but if the 5kW is the smallest thing available then go with that one. ITS SUPER QUIET and not stinky. I bought a Farenheat model so I dont know about the brand you posted but I paid $200 on Amazon for mine. I also installed it myself but the wire and breaker cost about $80 ish.

I dont think you will regret the purchase! Its so nice walking into the garage and its 40F out there!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cars and snowblower are all thawed out and dry the next AM!
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe
    Likes Stokdgs, trashmanssd, ShakingHorizons liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Went ahead and ordered the 5kw as it is on sale for $58.99 today!
    Reflective Impressions
    Likes SWETM, trashmanssd liked this post

Thread Information