Post Thanks / Like

Glass cleaning tips?

Hey Autopians!

One of the biggest challenges I have is cleaning glass, especially on cars that have been neglected, which seem to be most of my customers vehicles.

Any process or best practices folks on here are using they`d like to share?

I Typically use megs glass cleaner and a glass towel and just keep working it till I see no more film/ road scum. Sometimes that could be 2 or 3 times per glass. Then I finish off with Stoners.

The windshield is always a PITA.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Glass cleaning tips?

I use either Nanoskin fine grade pad or 80 gram clay. Both do well on windows to clean when combined with a quality detail spray.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
    Thanks RaydiantDetail thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Glass Science, Glass Scrub works to get all the gunk off (for me). Everything seems to just "melt" away. Followed by a clay bar, and a saturation of glass cleaner. Then a ridiculous amount of towels with two or eight rounds of spraying and wiping.

Alternatively, a clay bar round then Car Pro Ceriglass and Rayon glass pads with a DA buffer will obliterate anything and everything.

Post Thanks / Like

You can polish or you can clean. Right now you are cleaning and, I hope, charging accordingly. Polishing would require a machine, pad and polish. You will be amazed at the amount of gunk you will pull out of a "clean" windshield. The first time I did it I just laughed out loud. I turned a yellow pad black on my "clean" windshield. Wolfgang Perfekt Vision Glass Polish works for me (shake well to mix).

Post Thanks / Like

Inside or outside glass?
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etnops View Post
    Glass Science, Glass Scrub works to get all the gunk off (for me). Everything seems to just "melt" away. Followed by a clay bar, and a saturation of glass cleaner. Then a ridiculous amount of towels with two or eight rounds of spraying and wiping.

Alternatively, a clay bar round then Car Pro Ceriglass and Rayon glass pads with a DA buffer will obliterate anything and everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhonshell42 View Post
    I use either Nanoskin fine grade pad or 80 gram clay. Both do well on windows to clean when combined with a quality detail spray.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    You can polish or you can clean. Right now you are cleaning and, I hope, charging accordingly. Polishing would require a machine, pad and polish. You will be amazed at the amount of gunk you will pull out of a "clean" windshield. The first time I did it I just laughed out loud. I turned a yellow pad black on my "clean" windshield. Wolfgang Perfekt Vision Glass Polish works for me (shake well to mix).
    yes right now I just clean as part of my correction packages. However many times I find that when the glass is very neglected and probably has not been cleaned for a long time, especially the inside of the windshield it is very time consuming to get them clean. Often many rounds of glass cleaner and towels as etnops mentioned.

Maybe I need to upsell the glass polishing service for windows in very bad shape. I do have ceriglass and rayon glass polishing pads.

I do always clay the glass as part of the decontamination process.

Thank you for all your inputs! Sounds like its just one of those things you just have to deal with.

Anyone ever use a degreaser likes Megs Super Degreaser on exterior glass?
    Thanks Civicclutch thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail View Post
    yes right now I just clean as part of my correction packages. However many times I find that when the glass is very neglected and probably has not been cleaned for a long time, especially the inside of the windshield it is very time consuming to get them clean. Often many rounds of glass cleaner and towels as etnops mentioned.

Maybe I need to upsell the glass polishing service for windows in very bad shape. I do have ceriglass and rayon glass polishing pads.

I do always clay the glass as part of the decontamination process.

Thank you for all your inputs! Sounds like its just one of those things you just have to deal with.

Anyone ever use a degreaser likes Megs Super Degreaser on exterior glass?
    Perhaps instead of degreaser on windows, try an IPA mix of 90%-10%. The alcohol dries quickly and streaks are easily removed if any appear.

Post Thanks / Like

My new favorite is a Poorboy`s bug towel soaked with glass cleaner as my scruber then a short nap or terry type microfiber to dry. Works great on the windshield and avoids spraying window cleaner inside the car. Outside I use it but also spray the windows with a few squirts also. My favorite window clear is Meg`s D120.

Towel
    Likes RaydiantDetail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mike Phillips has a recent article up on hand polishing the inside of the glass, doesn`t seem too time consuming to maybe offer it yourself. Remove the glare from where you stare

Thread Information