Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

To Suds or not to suds?

I`ve been around for awhile but have never quite figured out car soaps. Easy right? Pour some in a bucket, add water and wash. But what about suds/foam? Is a soap better because it foams up or is it better not to? For years I always equated high foaming with good cleaning. Now Rupes comes out with a high dollar soap that does not foam, and that is supposed to be a good thing. I`ve got several bottles of Einzeitt soap that is also formulated not to foam. I used it and really didn`t know what to think. Anyone know which is better high sudsing or low sudsing and the science behind low sudsing shampoos?
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: To Suds or not to suds?

I don`t value suds, to me suds`re just air/bubbles that don`t contribute anything functionally beneficial, at least not as best I can tell. Wonder how my foamgun-centric wash technique factors in though....

I want slick shampoos that clean, encapsulate, and rinse away OK. Don`t see how suds contribute to that, though admittedly they look good, like..."I bet those bubbles must be lifting the dirty away from the paint so it doesn`t mar!", but I don`t *think* that`s really happening.

Curious what others think..
    Likes tom p., Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The Rupes one feels like there`s not enough soap in the bucket. Probably just me though. I like optimum car wash it has nice silky suds

Sent from my iPotato using Tapatalk
    "I can shine your car if you don`t shine me on" -Mr. $lick

Post Thanks / Like

I like a nice white slurry from my foam cannon. Not really the "pop bubbly" type soap. Almost like shaving lather that you whip from a cream or tub/cake of soap. Oddly, I`ve found several soaps at a wide range of prices that seem to have the ability to do this. It is pretty easy to see that it works. If you just let it set until the foam runs off the vehicle most all of the grit is gone, that`s what I`m after.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

I like Ultima and Reload because they produce mountains of suds, but it is more work to rinse the suds away. A waterless wash has no suds, but it incapsulates the dirt. It`s got me confused. Or does it matter?

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I am only after the best lubricity - how slick it works across the paintwork with a really great, clean, soft, chenille mitt..

Suds mean nothing to me and I still cant see the value of foaming a car - even harder to do in California with the water restrictions for the past 5+ years...

But then, I dont believe in gritguards either... Its just me and Jared Pointer I believe...

Rlmccarty2000 - I have only a couple bottles of Einszett Perls Shampoo - "Gentle carwash cleans and protects with polymer waxes"..
    It has very little sudsing - is that the one you also have ?

Another really great slick car wash is Zaino car wash... Yeah, I still have at least 1 more bottle left that survived the last move...
    Dan F
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, the slickness is what saves the finish and is most important. The foam holds the wash in place longer so it softens the stuck on muck, like a foam cannon but to a MUCH lesser extent.

I like the Super Slick and Suds. Honestly, I over use it because in my mind, its worth it to me not to have polish the car again and I hate swirls caused by washing. Its priced very well and I cannot see that it is any harsher than any of the so called boutique soaps. I use it on my DD and it does not knock the beading off and faster than the Ultima paint wash, or the p21S body shampoo, or the optimum car wash or the PA glisante (this smell`s amazingly good, suds just a tad to almost none, and it is $$$). Love the Luso and it super mild, rinses the fastest and its some $ but not too bad.

I know I over use the SSS wash because my pavers suds when it rains hard
    Likes Stokdgs, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I never really valued foaming and suds a lot, and like many I prefer good lubricity. I am currently working down my CG C&G soap, and it does have good lubricity and somehow kills anything less than a fresh sealant.. all my beading dies.. but its pretty slick when I run my mitt on the paint.

I may feel this way because I don`t use a pressure washer and foam cannon, but I do have a foamer hose attachment and used it a few times when a car is so dirty that if its white it became a combination of gray and brown... yeah thats when I use a foam gun to let it really pre-soak just in case my mitt doesn`t carry enough solution to the paint... just in case... its that dirty.

I`ve used a few soap (also CG) that is very sudsy... but uh.. it did nothing for me, and I didn`t feel it actually is slick enough to prevent any potential damage.... I used it all anyway since I don`t like to stash soap and let it stale out... hence my slowness in using up/trying new soap.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I have a few bottles of Einzeitt Perls Shampoo and it was made not to foam. I did a two bucket wash with it and there was almost zero suds. I did some research and it was designed that way. I still don`t know if I like it or not. I will have to give it another shot.

Post Thanks / Like

I have moved past the "suds vs no-suds" and agree with Dan. As long as the soap cleans well and provides good lubrication I will use it.

Due to some of my soap testing I have really moved past the foaming of cars as well. As foam on a car doesn`t really do any cleaning and a pressure washer does most of the heavy lifting.
    Likes Stokdgs, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I do prefer the formulas that suds. To me, they seem to have more lubricity. Perhaps, it`s due to the soaps that I have and I wouldn`t feel this way about all soaps that suds?
    I do know that non-sudsing soaps seem to rinse much easier, as in faster, possibly resulting in a small savings on the water bill. Also, I feel, I get less spotting with many of the soaps that don`t foam-up.
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m finding this an interesting discussion!

I bet that the wash technique being used factors in big-time with regard to which side of this fence one`s on.

And I always find some amusement in how differently people use/consider "foaming", who woulda thunk there could be such variety in such a thing?!?

Post Thanks / Like

How do you even determine a soap lubrocity? I need a chart like the one for polishes. All soap feels slick to some extent. Subjectivity would be tough. I know some hair shampoos strip the oil out of my hair better than others, so I assume the same with car shampoos. Poorboys just created a new shampoo, I wonder if they care to join the discussion?

Post Thanks / Like

rlmccarty2000- I find the shampoos with *really great* lubricity do feel a lot more "slippery" than the norm. E.g., when I tried Gold Class I was *immediately* struck by how its lubricity wasn`t even close to what I`m used to.

Hmm, maybe these days I notice a *lack* of lubricity more than I notice an abundance,k given what I`m currently used to. I do remember when I switched from cheap stuff like TW Zip Wax and Westley`s to M62 and Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo and was really impressed by how slippery the more expensive stuff was, but that was way back in the `80s.
    Likes Mr. Slick, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

One important function of foam is to allow a little bit of product to go a long way. Foaming agents are added to soap for this purpose, and to increase the perceived value of the product (according to me). Soaps, by nature, have more to do with fats and oils than they do of things we`d think of that make foam. If a soap maker wants lots of suds, just add more foaming agent. Foam will eventually become problematic, as the air gap between the soap and the surface becomes too great. Thing is, we just move around those bubbles to disperse the soap. No problem.

On the other hand, a good wetting agent will not foam. In fact, the purpose of a wetting agent is to reduce the air gap between the liquid and the surface - and all of it`s pores and bumps. This is why ONR can claim that it encapsulates dirt. ONR is a stellar wetting agent, as opposed to a foamer. Ever added ONR to your soap bucket? The suds will go down somewhat in response to the wetting agent, and the ONR acts as a defoamer.

Pick you poison. Suds are fun, but are not necessary.
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information