Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars MF pads questions

I recently purchased the 3,5 and 6 inch Finishing Discs. Trying them this week once we do a few family day trips.
    Anyone know where the thread is that suggests the Finishing discs for most applications.
    Can`t you just up the aggressiveness of the compound.
    I thought I had read that somewhere.

I really don`t have any trashed vehicles and try to stay away from CUT on my own vehicles.

I`m thinking of getting the Cutting discs in my next order, (or do you not really need them) just in case i get a car i might need them on.
    Then they even have Xtra Cut.

Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiars MF pads questions

If your vehicles are not trashed then there are no need for the xtra cut discs. I like to have the cutting discs for those you never know moments. They work well on harder paints.

But to answer your question, plenty of people have used M205 on a finishing disc for a one step as it cuts and finishes well. That is all dependent on the paint hardness. As always, the test spot is the way to go.

Just as an FYI the 3" microfiber cutting discs have been discontinued. Whatever you find online is all that is left. This was confirmed to me by Mike Stoops. Car Pro was the last place that still had some but that was about a month ago.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes JustJesus, ShawnF350 liked this post
    Thanks JustJesus, ShawnF350 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guz, I was going to try the Meguiars Ultimate Polish since I have those twins. I guess it`s close to 205 until my stock depletes or expires.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Are they discontinuing all 3" mf pads?
    I`m not finding any available.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Just as an FYI the 3" microfiber cutting discs have been discontinued. Whatever you find online is all that is left. This was confirmed to me by Mike Stoops. Car Pro was the last place that still had some but that was about a month ago.
    Thanks for posting that....sigh...Those are basically the only thing I use to do what little (spot) correction I do these days.

Post Thanks / Like

Many of the cars I see have had nothing more than a wash done to them for many years and I like to use Meg`s Microfiber cutting pads on those. It makes getting to the "finishing" part of the job much easier. A Meg`s cutting pad with Menz 400 does wonders on a neglected finish. I usually finish up with a foam pad unless I am using Essence, then I use a Meg`s microfiber finishing pad. The heat from the microfiber pad seems to make Essence work its magic better. I hope Meg`s is not discontinuing its 3 inch pads, they work great on my Rupes mini. I bought some B&S microfiber pads but haven`t tried them yet. (Side note: why doesn`t B&S label/stencil their pads with a name?!) I hate it when a manufacturer has a great product then stops making it. I understand discontinuing the X-tra Cut pads, even on awful cars the micro cutting pads work well enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Even on Amazon, no 3" MF Cutting pads. Only their finishing discs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnF350 View Post
    Are they discontinuing all 3" mf pads?
    I`m not finding any available.
    I had to go back and look at the replay Mike posted on a facebook group.

Michael Stoops Unfortunately, guys, both versions of the 3" microfiber discs have been discontinued and no longer exist. We have zero inventory in our warehouse, so anything you find at a given retailer will be the last they will have. Sorry to bring this bad news.
    Michael Stoops no plans for a new version, sorry. To be completely honest, they just didn`t sell very well. I know to this small detailing community it looks like EVERYBODY uses them, but in reality the numbers were very small. We sometimes forget just how small this world of pro/hard core enthusiast detailers is. Heck, you guys would be amazed at how many events I go to where people have never even heard of the DA Microfiber System - no clue at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Thanks for posting that....sigh...Those are basically the only thing I use to do what little (spot) correction I do these days.
    I know. Glad I stocked up as soon as Mike mentioned that both were discontinued. Great little pads.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I hope Meg`s is not discontinuing its 3 inch pads, they work great on my Rupes mini.
    3" Meguiar`s microfiber pads (finishing and cutting) are discontinued.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Thanks ShawnF350 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

the last batch of six I bought...better make sure i keep those in excellent shape.

Post Thanks / Like

On `soft` paints, I`ve found nearly zero difference between the cutting and finishing pads. This is using a Meguiars G110 (not v2) DA machine. On soft paints, typically use their D300 and D301 compound/polish.
    I`ve even made a mistake and swapped a cutting and finishing pad, and had not noticed until a panel was done. No difference (to my eyes).

On harder paints there is a somewhat noticeable difference between the pads...however, as one can imagine, there was a more discernible difference on the harder paint system, by using a more aggressive or different compound such as Menzerna FG400 or Wolfgang Uber Compound (over the D300).

Take it for what it`s worth - but I`ve found the biggest factor to these MF discs is to be the compound/polish used. In all instances, they cut and finish just "great"...whether it`s the cutting or finishing pad. Outstanding products.
    Thanks ShawnF350 thanked for this post

Thread Information