Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Police don`t shoot to kill they shoot to protect or survive

I have several close friends either on the job or recently off. I know what they deal with, what they are forced to smile through and what the toll is on your personal life.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I`m biased. My dad became an LEO in 1970 when I was 4 years old and had a 33 year career. I became an LEO in 1990 and am still active. The thing that I have noticed most is how much more scrutiny LEOs are under now than they were in 1970. We have to everything by the book and by the letter although the book doesn`t and can`t cover every possible scenario.

In my dad`s day, actually fighting or initiating an assault on the police was a rarity, nowadays, it`s almost the norm. Criminals don`t seem to run away anymore, they are out for blood and too often we shed it. Criminals are nowadays seen as victims, or more specifically, "victims of society" while police are being seen as the villains, particularly if we have to use ANY level of force to control or stop a violent subject. Most people don`t understand why it takes 5+ cops to bring down & control 1 man (or woman). Most of the officers I know can and have handled fights one on one, BUT one of both of them ALWAYS gets hurt. When there are multiple officers, each officer only has to use a little bit of force on the subject which by itself isn`t much but the cumulative strength of 5 officers each using a little force, is more than enough (usually) to control a subject WITHOUT ANYONE getting hurt.

As for LEOs "scanning" or "profiling" ... how many of you know what is "normal" for your own neighborhood? You know which neighbor drives what car and the kind of hours they normally keep and you know when a car or pedestrian that is lingering around "just isn`t normal for that area" and you tend to watch it a bit more closely. I know about all that in my neighborhood. Like the older guy who walks down my street every morning about 0900 to go the the store and get his newspaper. Or that the silver Pontiac Grand Prix with the loud muffler and missing tail light belongs to the neighbor two doors up.

THAT`S what police do, they get used to their `beats` and after time, they recognize who and what is `normal` for their areas of patrol. So when there is something out of place, they watch a bit more closely. License plate scanners are an interesting tool. I`ve used them on several occasions and they DO hit on stolen cars and cars whose owners have warrants, but they`re not perfect and everything the plate reader comes up with is double checked by the operating officer.

When there is a pack of cars speeding down the highway, why don`t we get them all? When you`re fishing, have you ever caught the whole school of fish? People forget that driving a car is not a right, it is a privilege. Nowhere in the Constitution is it mentioned that The People Have the Right to Drive a Car (or back in the times it was written it wasn`t a `right ` for a man to own & ride a horse). Your Driver`s License and your License Plates do not belong to you, they belong to the State, which gives me the right to check your plates through LEADS (or whatever system I use) at will, I don`t need a reason. Which is why you can be driving perfectly and still be pulled over for a plate or Driver`s License violation. You`d be surprised at how many people don`t realize their DL or plates are expired or that their license is suspended. So instead of going on the defensive right away, calmly ASK why you were stopped. I`d say it`s safe to say that 99% + of the time if you are calm and reasonable talking to the officer, they will be calm and reasonable with you. In my experience, it`s ALWAYS the person with the biggest mouth & worst attitudes that have a warrant out for them or a suspended license.

An officer`s #1 rule is to go home after his shift. Period. So it`s when people start getting loud and putting off aggressive signals, that officers go on the defensive and prepare to go on the offensive to protect themselves, their partners and the public. We learn to rely on our gut feelings when dealing with people. Which is simply an experience driven sense that compares the current situation to past situations and how the past scenarios played out to determine our course of actions. None of this is consciously done, it is all subconscious and fairly quick. Many of you have the same ability. You can "read" people and this lets you decide within minutes or seconds if you could get along with this person or not. ANY combat veteran knows what I`m talking about.

We ARE NOT the enemy. Yes we are prepared to use violence, we are trained to use violence IF NEEDED. Like the video said, in this fashion we are similar to the wolf (criminal). but unlike the criminal, we are trained to use violence against those who would come after use or the general population, NOT the general population as a whole. I will agree that there are a few bad cops, but just a few. If it were a wide-spread issue, then it wouldn`t be newsworthy and wouldn`t make the papers or CNN.

Want a closer look at our life? Take a Civilian Police Academy Class if there`s one in your area, go for a ride-along. Or just start talking to different LEOs to see their side of things. We are people too, of all different backgrounds and upbringings. I`m sure you`ll find we are more alike than we are different.

Post Thanks / Like

I just retired as a LEO after 28 years on the job. I am waiting to start a new chapter and will remain in this field. However, the changes and attitudes towards law enforcement that I have witnessed since starting this career are dramatic.

There is no respect for law enforcement anymore. Every move you make is gonna be under scrutiny or filmed by so law enforcement "know it all" and put on YouTube for the media to over hype.

If someone younger who asked me about considering this career I would say take up plumbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Just a little south of the Mason Dixon Line
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a very interesting video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwQEKcKjASw
    The devil made me do it the first time.
    The second time I done it on my own.

The only good thing about getting old is no longer having to worry about dying young.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    I just retired as a LEO after 28 years on the job. I am waiting to start a new chapter and will remain in this field. However, the changes and attitudes towards law enforcement that I have witnessed since starting this career are dramatic.

There is no respect for law enforcement anymore. Every move you make is gonna be under scrutiny or filmed by so law enforcement "know it all" and put on YouTube for the media to over hype.

If someone younger who asked me about considering this career I would say take up plumbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pat, you are exactly right. Fortunately my sons have no interest in law enforcement. They are also both Autistic which would prevent them from following me to begin with. My wife once asked my oldest if he would like to be a policeman like daddy ... he said: "No, I don`t want to get shot and die." This coming from a 12 y/o. I know MY dad didn`t want me to follow him due to all the growing animosity and negative views of police that occurred during his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutbread View Post
    This is a very interesting video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwQEKcKjASw

Nutbread, that IS a good video and it proves that people really DON`T know what an officer is subjected to on an almost daily basis. I thing that the more ... how shall I say ... `enthusiastic non-supporters of the police` should be required to do something similar, so they at least they have an idea of what it is they`re protesting, instead of blindly chanting slogans without knowing what they`re actually saying. Saying "I hate the police," is no better than saying "I hate the *fill in the blank* " A blanket statement is almost always wrong and shows that the person saying it hasn`t bothered to think through exactly what they just said and how ignorant it makes them seem. It`s OK to dislike a SPECIFIC thing or person for what ever SPECIFIC reason, but to dislike an entire group of people "just because" or "I don`t know why, I just do" is simply wrong.

I think you all get where I`m going with this. so I`m going to stop now before I really get on a rant.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    ...but to dislike an entire group of people "just because" or "I don`t know why, I just do" is simply wrong.
    This is a past time of many and it is not just against law enforcement but groups of common race, religion, political beliefs, and detailers using certain products. Law enforcement is a challenging job and we need tough, well trained, and fairly compensated (many underpaid) people but what they do should not be hidden (like no body cameras) as it only spurs distrust.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Pats300zx- Hey, welcome to retirement, you served through some, uhm...interesting times, glad you made it through in one piece. I`ll be interested to hear what you do next, given your "staying in the field" comment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JBM View Post
    With enough laws everyone is a criminal.

I dont want anyone scanning me for any reason, I dont even need a reason why, I just dont.
    I`m all for the police, it`s the law makers that are the retards...

https://www.amazon.com/Three-Felonie.../dp/1594035229
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.
    Likes Don liked this post
    Thanks Don thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JBM View Post
    With enough laws everyone is a criminal.

I dont want anyone scanning me for any reason, I dont even need a reason why, I just dont.
    I agree, there are far too many nonsensical laws on the books already. Too many of which were passed by "educated idiots" for the "Greater Good of Society," without thinking of the repercussions they will have on the 99.9% of the population that DON`T commit crimes. And if someone wants to run a check on me, I say go for it because I know I`m clean (except for my love of bending speed limits occasionally).
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Likes The Driver liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information