Post Thanks / Like

FAA: Auto Detailers Not Suited To Clean Aircraft

From FAA: Auto Detailers Not Suited To Clean Aircraft | Business Aviation News: Aviation International News

While the FAA considers the physical act of washing an aircraft, by itself, as neither maintenance nor preventive maintenance, the agency is warning aircraft operators about using auto detailing companies to perform this task, since they cannot ensure compliance with maintenance-related procedures that are part of the washing process.According to the FAA, manufacturer recommendations and corrosion prevention and control programs usually include sequential steps that are considered maintenance or preventive maintenance. These include aircraft preparation tasks, such as covering static ports; post-wash procedures and maintenance checks/inspections; lubrication and other preservation tasks; replacement of defective environmental gaskets and sealant materials; and documentation.
    Thus, the agency is recommending that “appropriately authorized” or certified personnel perform or supervise the work and that operators follow return-to-service procedures for the aircraft. Information and recommended procedures can be found in manufacturers’ published manuals and in Advisory Circular 43-4, “Corrosion Control for Aircraft,” the FAA noted.
    Likes Stokdgs, ShaneB liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FAA: Auto Detailers Not Suited To Clean Aircraft

They are correct, De-icing etc are all technical procedures that need to be learned.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This makes sense. Wax in the wrong spot on a Porsche = an eyesore. Wax in the wrong place on a Gulfstream = potential catastrophe. I would love to see what an aircraft detailer gets paid to polish out a G650. Or better yet a corporate 737

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    They are correct, De-icing etc are all technical procedures that need to be learned.
    Yes ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And a lot of external objects on aircraft that absolutely cannot be hit with something that will break them or change the calibration and cause an accident if not caught before take off... And this includes propellers...

And, don`t even get started me started on how important it is to know how to treat Plexiglass or better still, use thick brown Painting Paper and carefully tape all the Plexiglass off so you do not scratch it....

A lot of aircraft leak oil and you have to know how to handle it and be prepared for it...

Aircraft with lots of Rivets = Pad Killers...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see that so many here appreciate how tricky this can be.

[Sidenote- IIRC, the Cyclo polisher was originally developed for aluminum aircraft.]

Post Thanks / Like

Well, crap, I was so wanting to detail a 747.
    Likes tropicsteve liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, it`s just a thing that flies through the air and rain storms; should be able to just power wash it, hit it with some Windex and old newspaper, then call it a day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EXPDetailing View Post
    Eh, it`s just a thing that flies through the air and rain storms; should be able to just power wash it, hit it with some Windex and old newspaper, then call it a day.
    Sounds like a corvette show comment.......
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

there SHOULD BE A CERTIFICATION JUST SO THAT THE RICH GUYS HAVE TO PAY MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!

JUST KIDDING

It so that a well meaning detailer does not step on the flap that says, do not step here and so that the products used do not corrode aluminum, electronics and mess with deicers and air slip.

I got news for you, I never did boats after I doid one, Hard as all heck and you can mess a gel coat easily. I was 20 y/o when I did it, but I still have nightmares 29 1/2 years later.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree and if I own a plane, why wouldn`t I be asking for your credentials anyway? Just me I guess. I would love to learn how and be certified

Post Thanks / Like

So I guess using OTC Simple Green is a no-no for airplane detailers/cleaners.

I also remember from long ago within this forum that a car detailer was asked to do someone`s plane until the airport hanger/maintenance company where the plane was kept asked the detailer for proof of his $2,000,000 liability insurance policy. Needless to say, he had to decline the job.

To give you an example of how extreme FAA requirements are, I worked at a Enstrom helicopter company in Menominee, Michigan as a contract CAD technician. I found out in the assembly shop that even grease used in bearings (engines drives shafts to rotors) or wire cable guides (for tail flap and rotor controls) needs to be certified. I did not know that different greases mixed together can cause corrosion because of chemical-incompatibility!! There have been three different airship (FAA lingo) crashes from FAA investigations nation-wide (not with Enstrom helicopters) due to grease-related corrosion causing part corrosion and subsequent part failure contributing to the crash. So, yes, following correct and approved FAA maintenance procedures on airships is critical.
    GB detailer
    Likes rlmccarty2000, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post

I also remember from long ago within this forum that a car detailer was asked to do someone`s plane until the airport hanger/maintenance company where the plane was kept asked the detailer for proof of his $2,000,000 liability insurance policy. Needless to say, he had to decline the job.

To give you an example of how extreme FAA requirements are, I worked at a Enstrom helicopter company in Menominee, Michigan as a contract CAD technician. I found out in the assembly shop that even grease used in bearings (engines drives shafts to rotors) or wire cable guides (for tail flap and rotor controls) needs to be certified. I did not know that different greases mixed together can cause corrosion because of chemical-incompatibility!! There have been three different airship (FAA lingo) crashes from FAA investigations nation-wide (not with Enstrom helicopters) due to grease-related corrosion causing part corrosion and subsequent part failure contributing to the crash. So, yes, following correct and approved FAA maintenance procedures on airships is critical.
    EXACTLY

I work for a turbocharging company, if we wanted to do helicopters we would literally have to get insurance 10x the amount of what we have now. The FAA is very strict, I think people fail to realize these machine encounter very extreme temp changes, G forces and speed. Also keep in mind if something comes hurling out of the sky there will be a ton of damage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    So I guess using OTC Simple Green is a no-no for airplane detailers/cleaners..
    Which oughta be a clue for the [individuals] who keep saying how it`s perfectly OK to use OTC Simple Green on aluminum auto stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Back in my day it was just a little paint.....
    (or white wash)

::::::: now where`d I put my leather helmet..... :::::::
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

""I also remember from long ago within this forum that a car detailer was asked to do someone`s plane until the airport hanger/maintenance company where the plane was kept asked the detailer for proof of his $2,000,000 liability insurance policy. Needless to say, he had to decline the job""

If the aircraft is located in a hangar full of other aircraft, the Liability of course is much higher for anyone working in there on any of the airplanes..

And on top of that risk alone, the clean up - and there will be a lot of it - has to be done every day when you stop work, because people are trampling through there all the time to get to their Baby`s, and they do not want to track compound dust into their aircraft from your work over there...
    Yet another reason why I dont ever want to Detail another one again...
    Dan F
    Likes Old Pirate liked this post

Thread Information