Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coating or Not?

Post Thanks / Like

Coating or Not?

When I sold my pair of Rupes polishers, I had a BF Crystal Coating kit that I threw in as they were leaving. I only gave the coating first but figured he would need the whole kit for good results.
    I had the kit since Feb of 2015 and didn`t really think it would get used within 2 years of having it. (I didn`t want problems using an old coating)

This Weekend i plan on Trying Hydro2 that my SS sent me. ( can`t wait)

Having FK1000 work so well for me lately, is a coating really worth it or something else?
    Would BF coating be a good choice again? Or are these spray on ones a better choice?
    I still want to try one if It`s something I cant mess up.
    Just trying to see if I should order something with the big sale going on.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating or Not?

dunno if the hydro will work over 1000
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    dunno if the hydro will work over 1000
    Haven`t done anything since Oct of last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnF350 View Post
    Haven`t done anything since Oct of last year.

Fk 1000 is pretty tough stuff
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well i haven`t touched my 2010 merc marquis i picked up in feb.

Post Thanks / Like

Was impressed with Gloss Coat - particularly on top of Essence. http://www.autopia.org/forums/click-...tml?highlight=
    Likes The Guz, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Gloss coat is some good stuff. It`s probably even easier to apply than Blackfire. PBL is good as well.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Thanks ShawnF350 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

PBL is very easy. I have used it on 5 vehicles without any kind of problems. The last two I used Essence and then PBL over the top. On the Hydro2, you might want to try to remove any previous applied lsp before using. Hydro2 likes bare paint (or metal).

Post Thanks / Like

Is PBL just sprayed on?
    I`m looking for easy.

Optimum gloss coat is an option too since i have the hyper polish to prep with.

Post Thanks / Like

Is PBL just sprayed on?
    I`m looking for easy.
    Yes it is. I have PBL V2 on my mom`s car right now. I was sent this bottle for review from Nick over at Autogeek. I had to vary the amount of sprays per area that it was applied to. I went a little heavy with it because of this. It still does not take up a lot of product when using it. It`s very easy.

The only thing I have yet to try is to use PBL without using the dedicated surface cleansing polish prior to applying it. Something like Eraser or IPA instead of the surface polish. The reason being is I am trying to avoid an additional polishing step to save more time.

Optimum gloss coat is an option too since i have the hyper polish to prep with.
    Gloss Coat is just as easy. It self levels and requires very little wiping to remove any excess. If you have hyper polish then you don`t have to remove any polishing oils. This was stated on the Optimum Synergy Podcast that the products are meant to work together.

Both are easy and you can`t go wrong with either.

If I had to choose between these two, Gloss Coat would get my vote. It would be a real close vote.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

gloss coat- blackfire is a not worth the hassle

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO... Blackfire is THE one you`d want to stay away from, RE being easy. That puppy goes on much stickier/thicker than the rest.

As far as application, go ahead and go with the CarPro method. Get a pair of the foam applicator blocks, then get the 10 pack of the 16x16 (40cmx40cm) suede applicator cloths. You can cut each cloth into SIXTEEN 4" squares! The 10 pack is still $19.99 (I think). Where if you get the pre-cut 4" cloths they are $12.99 for TEN. That makes them $1.29 each. That`s ONE DOLLAR AND TWENTY NINE CENTS PER CLOTH. WOW!

Where if you cut the 16" cloths you`ll get 160, for $19.99 which is like 12.5¢ each. Now THAT is easy.

The reason I recommend using the suede cloth applicator is you tend to use MUCH less product, and get that product applied much more evenly. Where if you use a round foam applicator you`ll not get it as even. Then there`s the Lake Country wedge applicator, which is capable of a more even application, but the applicator itself is pretty darned thirsty. (All foam applicators are thirsty in that respect.) As the foam gets more loaded, then your application gets more loaded the farther you go. Where if you`re using the suede cloth you`ll get the same application on the last 2 sq feet that you got on the first one. Also... you`ll want to flip, maybe even rotate the cloth after say doing the hood. Use it for the fenders afterwards, maybe the front bumper after that. Then get a new cloth and do the roof, doors, etc. I`ll tend to use from 2~3 depending on how large the vehicle is.

Once you`ve used them on the paint, you can use them on your fingertip for tight areas around the mirrors, around the cowling, trim, etc.

I would suggest also if you`re doing your glass with a coating that you use a separate one for that. But at 12.5¢ each, you can use TEN for less than the cost of one pre-cut cloth.
    Later,

Cardaddy aka/Tony
    DetailedReflection@charter.net
    Thanks ShawnF350, 4u2nvinmtl, BadgerRivFan thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Having FK1000 work so well for me lately, is a coating really worth it or something else?
    I`d say yes. The coating was the clear winner in my LSP winter faceoff. Not that I don`t love FK1000P but coatings are definitely a step up in protection, IMHO.

Would BF coating be a good choice again? Or are these spray on ones a better choice?
    I`m too under experienced with coatings to give a personal opinion but when I asked around Kamikaze ISM/Miyabi and CarPro CQuartz were the two most highly recommended coatings by far.

I still want to try one if It`s something I cant mess up.
    I find WG Uber Coating very easy to use. Finishes slick, looks great and lasts. If I compare to CarPro Dlux, I find WG Uber Coating much more user-friendly. Just this past weekend I applied WG Uber coating to my whole car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    IMHO... Blackfire is THE one you`d want to stay away from, RE being easy. That puppy goes on much stickier/thicker than the rest.

As far as application, go ahead and go with the CarPro method. Get a pair of the foam applicator blocks, then get the 10 pack of the 16x16 (40cmx40cm) suede applicator cloths. You can cut each cloth into SIXTEEN 4" squares! The 10 pack is still $19.99 (I think). Where if you get the pre-cut 4" cloths they are $12.99 for TEN. That makes them $1.29 each. That`s ONE DOLLAR AND TWENTY NINE CENTS PER CLOTH. WOW!

Where if you cut the 16" cloths you`ll get 160, for $19.99 which is like 12.5¢ each. Now THAT is easy.

The reason I recommend using the suede cloth applicator is you tend to use MUCH less product, and get that product applied much more evenly. Where if you use a round foam applicator you`ll not get it as even. Then there`s the Lake Country wedge applicator, which is capable of a more even application, but the applicator itself is pretty darned thirsty. (All foam applicators are thirsty in that respect.) As the foam gets more loaded, then your application gets more loaded the farther you go. Where if you`re using the suede cloth you`ll get the same application on the last 2 sq feet that you got on the first one. Also... you`ll want to flip, maybe even rotate the cloth after say doing the hood. Use it for the fenders afterwards, maybe the front bumper after that. Then get a new cloth and do the roof, doors, etc. I`ll tend to use from 2~3 depending on how large the vehicle is.

Once you`ve used them on the paint, you can use them on your fingertip for tight areas around the mirrors, around the cowling, trim, etc.

I would suggest also if you`re doing your glass with a coating that you use a separate one for that. But at 12.5¢ each, you can use TEN for less than the cost of one pre-cut cloth.
    What pair of applicator blocks Do you suggest?

Post Thanks / Like

What pair of applicator blocks Do you suggest?
    The ones from CarPro.

Here ya` go...
    CarPro Cquartz Applicator 2 Pack
    Later,

Cardaddy aka/Tony
    DetailedReflection@charter.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information