Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 0 bucket wash

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 0 bucket wash

Quote Originally Posted by DetailZeus View Post
    ...[how about].. pressure rinse + foam + pressure rinse + waterless wash with multiple microfibers possibly working on slightly dirty cars with great dirt-shedding lsp (has anyone actually done this???)..
    Noting that I have trouble differentiating between Rinseless and Waterless..that oughta work at least as well as any other approach using Waterless washes. The shampoos I use don`t do much cleaing without mechanical agitation, the "presoak with foam" doesn`t actually clean as much as just soften up the dirt a little, but other shampoos might be better at that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Noting that I have trouble differentiating between Rinseless and Waterless..that oughta work at least as well as any other approach using Waterless washes. The shampoos I use don`t do much cleaing without mechanical agitation, the "presoak with foam" doesn`t actually clean as much as just soften up the dirt a little, but other shampoos might be better at that.
    Yeah I`m just making a play on the whole "zero bucket" concept. I think you`d need a good coating, fairly strong soap, and proficiency in waterless washes. The idea is you get the dirt down to *waterless wash* level, then you`re washing and drying in one step. I think most would rather just wash the car.

I understand the blur between rinseless and waterless. For you, they`re both *wiping* steps, so the dirt on the car needs to be at *wiping* level (i.e. essentially none)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by d33p View Post
    The only thing Ive learned from this thread:

there are many ways to wash a car so pick the one that works best for you
    EXACTLY! Variables include your environment, as well as personal preferences! Me, I don`t have to deal with mud, snow, or salts. BUT, I do have to deal with water restrictions in California! And sometimes I *don`t* want to spend two hours on my daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by DetailZeus View Post
    Yeah I`m just making a play on the whole "zero bucket" concept. I think you`d need a good coating, fairly strong soap, and proficiency in waterless washes.
    For a short while, I was doing a "zero bucket wash." - On a weekly basis, I`d drive down to the local coin-op self serve HP wash, during my lunch break. I`d show up, heavily saturate the car with their "pre rinse", follow it up with their "high pressure soap", and follow that up with the "high pressure rinse" - at about this time, I would have to add another batch of coins to the machine. I`d finish off the HP rinse and follow that up with the "spot free rinse." - To dry the car, I`d jump on the freeway and drive about a mile at about 70mph. this would "blow dry" the car. Get back to work, and only touched up a few spots where the water dripped a little. NO...BUCKETS...USED.

This worked for *me* but only up to the point where they switched the car wash soap. Unfortunately, I haven`t run into the owner, or the maintenance guy, since they switched soaps. So i can`t tell them to switch it back!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    ..sometimes I *don`t* want to spend two hours on my daily driver...
    I sure wish I could get a wash done in just two hours...that`d be a dream come true.

I can remember when I *did* wash that quickly, sure wasn`t the dreaded chore that my current wash regimen is. It`s a pity the results weren`t something I could live with these days

Post Thanks / Like

This has been a great thread. It got me thinking....why do I put my wash mitt in dirty water to clean it??? Makes no sense.

I do rinseless washes 8 out of 10 times and I use multiple plush microfibers for my wash media and it works great.

I think now I`m going to try multiple microfibers for traditional washing too.

Might as well do away with the rinse bucket all together!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I sure wish I could get a wash done in just two hours...that`d be a dream come true.

I can remember when I *did* wash that quickly, sure wasn`t the dreaded chore that my current wash regimen is. It`s a pity the results weren`t something I could live with these days
    It`s got to be a generational thing. I too, now find myself spending two, four or five hour days to do a typical wash, interior and wax. If I get "involved" that time can easily double. If I decide to coat it or coat the Windows or the barrels of the wheels the time really goes up. I guess the only thing worth noting in what I said is that it takes me two days. Can`t make myself fit it in to one day without paying for it. I no longer pull the wheels and get under the car every time I wash it. Maybe every 3rd or 4th time now days.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

After watching mjlilane`s video, I shared the info with my gf, seeing as to how he said he got done in about half hour, and he did *more* steps than I`ve ever done. Then I told her, "Geez, I wonder how much time Accumulator spends?!?!" I was afraid of the answer. You just confirmed it. Oh man.
    Likes mjlinane liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    .I told her, "Geez, I wonder how much time Accumulator spends?!?!" I was afraid of the answer..
    Guess you haven`t seen my previous posts about that...if I work *VERY* fast (and I mean a downright workout, with zero wasted time) I can wash the easiest vehicles in around four hours as long as they aren`t too dirty. But note that does include washing and wiping down *everything*; it`s more thorough than most of my Jag Club pals do for any Concours prep.

Sure I can wash *fast*. but to do it that fast would require leaving a whole lotta things uncleaned and that`s just not how I want to do *my* vehicles. IME, if the hood of a vehicle is dirty enough to need washed, the areas that nobody sees are soiled too. And just the crevices and other nooks and crannies on my vehicles take a lot of time to do properly (i.e., not just one pass with one type of wash medium).

Actually, doing only what most people think of as "washing the car", my approach is pretty quick, about as fast as I can walk around the vehicle a few times. It`s all the areas that most people don`t do that take so long. As best I can tell, my "maintenance wash" = many people`s "concours prep". And I know some high-scoring Concours cars with dirty undercarriages
    Likes mjlinane liked this post
    Thanks 4u2nvinmtl thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man. How did I miss that previous post about four hours? I sometimes read your posts, re-read, then double read, then re-read again!

Sure I can wash *fast*. but to do it that fast would require leaving a whole lotta things uncleaned and that`s just not how I want to do *my* vehicles. IME, if the hood of a vehicle is dirty enough to need washed, the areas that nobody sees are soiled too. And just the crevices and other nooks and crannies on my vehicles take a lot of time to do properly (i.e., not just one pass with one type of wash medium).
    I just discovered the truth about this two weeks ago. I went to finally "detail" my interior of the Yaris, you know, to go beyond the typical vacuum and wipe down? I started at the back. the jam(s) between the body and the liftback. Sorry to say, but interiors is something I`m barely getting into. It had the dirt from El Mirage Dry Lake Bed still there....from 2008! Then vacuumed. Then removed the spare wheel cover. MAN OH MAN. I was surprised...AND digusted. I knew I had neglected the interior, but this was something else. I spent three hours on just the rear section behind the seats! NASTY.

I`ll post pics eventually. Still have to finish the rest of the interior. Ayyyy. It hurts

Post Thanks / Like

As best I can tell, my "maintenance wash" = many people`s "concours prep". And I know some high-scoring Concours cars with dirty undercarriages
    Thumbs up.
    I like this post.

and I bet this is very true!

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus- Heh heh, yeah...once you see what develops in those areas you skip it can be rather shocking. I don`t have to do all the interiors that often, but with the dog-haulers it`s simply mandatory to keep up with it lest things get awful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donbeezy View Post
    well... obviously that car wasnt heavily soiled.... soooo

My impressions:
    • So he never dried the wheels and dress the tires?
    • He puts the dirty mitt on the paint and pressure rinses it?
      • I only saw him do it once to start off...
      • IMHO it`s kind of an odd way to get the mitt clean, I think a rinse bucket would be better.

• Also, I found the wash mitt small, so it will take longer to cover the entire surface of the car.

I`d like to see a wash video like this but of a dirty car like how mine gets weekly...
    Likes yg1829 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Final Inspection Body Shampoo

This isn’t a full-on review, but sort of a mini review. Or, let’s call it a user experience.

I received my shipment of the Final Inspection Body Shampoo (the solution used for the “zero bucket wash” on Friday, March 11). Ended up getting the 1L size of the concentrate, along with their wash mitt.
    The mitt feels soft, but it had a few pieces of lint that were falling off. I went through the mitt and rubbed it, like how one would pet a cat, to remove any loose parts, or lint. It wasn’t much.

As much as I wanted to try it out, I needed to go to a coin-op self serve car wash place, as I don’t own a HP washer. Timing didn’t allow. Instead, on the following Monday I ended up doing a rinseless wash using Blackfire’s Wet Diamond Rinseless Wash.

Fast forward to today, March 23. I took the Yaris down to the local wash to use their HP hose during my lunch break.

From the day I received the Final Inspection. As per the instructions on the label, I mixed at a 1:1 ratio. In this case, 4 oz of distilled water to 4 oz of the FI solution.

Yes, I did mix the water and concentrate to blend it better. No pic.

Well, the Yaris was dirty enough to try this. I purposely did *not* want to take a car that looked clean, as in that video. I also had neighbor-installed water spots. They were nasty! Thanks to the neighbor for his labor, and the city for providing some hard water. From after the wash, they don’t appear to be there anymore, but whatever. I was prepping for a polish anyway.

Here are some pics from before and after the wash using Final Inspection Body Shampoo

Here’s what I think. I thought it would smell better. Let me draw you a picture. I was in the garage mixing the solution (Body Shampoo) and sprayed a mist onto my left hand. Why on earth would I do a thing like that? Beats the heck out of me. I don’t remember. It had a strange smell to it. What was it? Hehe… hold on.

So I go to the kitchen with the bottle in my right hand, and asked my girlfriend what she thought my left hand smelled like. She looks at the bottle, and looks at me weird. I give her my left hand so she can get a whiff. She had a puzzled look and the conversation went like this:

Her: ew. That smells kind of bad. Like…Like…ummm
    Me: Like a dirty gym sock?
    Her: [face lit up, in a Eureka moment] YESSS. OMG, *THAT* is what that smell is!

Anyway. On to more of this experience.

Prior to the use, I had the notion in my head that this stuff would be a good cleaner and offer some good lubricity. Not sure if I got that from the podcast, reading it somewhere, or from one of the the guy’s interviews (yes, I watched a couple). With *my* experience, it did get the car clean. The pics above show that. I ran the back of my hand over the door panel, and I didn’t feel the slickness I was half expecting. In honesty, even during the process I hadn’t felt any slickness. I pre-rinsed the Yaris with HP water. I sprayed the panel down with the Shampoo *prior* to taking the wash mitt to it. That’s what the instructions called for, so that’s what I did. I also sprayed three times into the mitt itself, as per instructions. I did a few wipes then flipped the mitt over. This time, I sprayed it four times, hoping for more lubricity. Didn’t get it. So much for that.

When I felt the mitt was dirty (couldn’t quite tell, purple glove had some white-ish, um, lather/foam/soap(?) on it. Didn’t see much dirt. So I took the HP gun to hose off the mitt….while I was still wearing it. Um yeah. I still have my hand, but I don’t think I want to do that several times as I go around the Yaris.

Okay. So did the door panel and the quarter panel before my time was up at the car wash. I stopped that testing there, and continued with a regular HP wash.

Final thoughts: Yes, it does clean. But, it didn’t feel as clean as it has before using a 2BW. Also, it didn’t wow me in the looks department. The Blackfire Rinseless sort of did. Slickness? Sorry, but no. Again, the Blackfire felt more slick and that was both during and after. Perhaps my experience would be different if the panel(s) were polished and sealed with a coating or a good wax? I’ll find out soon enough. I do happen to have a polish job for the wee little Yaris coming soon.

And just for giggles, here are some pics of the Blackfire Rinseless before and after...

(on the first pic, note the vertical separation on the door. That was the film of dirt on the car. The cleaner portion was the result of a waterless product used about a week before - The last pic, that`s a 50/50 during the BF Rinseless)

And I’m sorry. I was fully intending to keep this short. And I tried. Sheesh,

Thank you.
    Likes mjlinane, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Would you buy it again?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Thanks! Would you buy it again?
    Today? No. I`ll give it another shot after the polishing gets done. I`ll also try it on another vehicle.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information