Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 0 bucket wash

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 0 bucket wash

I highly recommend the use of multiple mitts to avoid the possibility of re contaminating the paint. This is especially true in the case of a very soiled car. Multiple mitts bring me peace of mind and not have to worry so much about keeping one mitt pristine
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl, tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Bill D- Yeah, you`ve been doing well with that for a while now...since long before Garry Dean started doing it with MFs and his rinseless

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s a video for those interested in a video showing what I think Accumulator is describing as his wash method. Sounds like what Larry K does as well. You can skip to the 8:00 mark.

https://youtu.be/X0Sqi1lAj1A

Post Thanks / Like

DetailZeus,

Been doing your described method (rinse mitt with a hose) for many years. Good post. Now that I use waterless methods and techniques I don`t even need a hose anymore. BUT, I still use a power wash + rinseless when called for.

Post Thanks / Like

I am at the end of my buying any more detailing stuff so the BHB is out. Other than maybe ordering up soap I just can`t keep justify spending anymore money. This is because, even though I don`t have much supplies, I currently have enough to last just about a lifetime and just can`t see shelling out more even just for tools that may help. The foam gun was actually more than I needed or wanted to spend but I do like it and seems to work for me. For that I just use OTC soap and run it strong, about 3 to 4 ounces in the quart gun. It seems to work for me. I only do small areas and flip mitt. So something like the roof I would work on one half and flip mitt when a quarter is washed return to bucket do the other side using both side and so forth. The sides I rinse more often. I tried the foam gun on a low ratio and kept flooding the mitt and paint but it was just to inconvenient so I went back to the bucket.

Years ago I bought an attachment for the garden hose that has a mop on the end of it. I bought it when I had my Dakota. I had the notion of popping the old mop off and attaching a new MF mitt to the end but there is no soap dispenser in it. I had the idea that would work as you are pushing water through it but the thought of doing that ended thinking I would end up with something stuck in it that wouldn`t flush out and mar it up. I have seen those BHB`s but have the same thought of something getting into the brush and dragging it all over the paint. I used to use the brush at the carwash on my that same truck but would never think of doing that to my Camaro. JMO.

Thanks for suggestion though.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Nautical- Close, but no cigar (at least he`s not getting one from me ). If it works for him, great. Really. Not knocking him at all. But if *I* washed like that I`d mar things up. I know because I`ve done it that way in the earlier stages of developing my current method.

(For the umpteenth time; I only do what I do because it`s the only way I can avoid marring. I hate that it`s so labor-intensive and I wish I didn`t have to resort to such off-the-deep end [nonsense]. I`m sure not trying to impress anybody with how fancy I make carwashing, or to make it sound like anybody else oughta do things my way. So when I get all critical about somebody else`s method I`m just pointing out why it wouldn`t work for *me*.)

Two Points:
    1)He`s not allowing the foamgun to flush away the dirt; he lets it get trapped in the mitt and seems to believe it`ll be held up in the nap. I don`t rely on that, I try to keep the dirt from getting stuck to the mitt in the first place. So I hold the (wash solution-filled) mitt shut by the cuff and gently whisk it across the panel while spraying the foamgun. I don`t press the mitt against the paint the way he does.

2)He moves the mitt in long motions under continuous pressure, i.e., all along the length of that car`s roof; I move my wash media in short, interrupted, "jiggling" motions so the foamgun`s output is more likely to flush away the dirt (during the "pauses" in the mitt`s movement) and, perhaps more importantly, so that if I *do* somehow get marring, it`s not some looong scratch but rather some little short one that`ll be less obvious.

If I could change *one* thing about how people wash, I`d probably be to quit using long/sweeping motions that can result in long, obvious scratches. OK...I`d change two things- And rinse/redunk the mitt/etc. very frequently instead of waiting until it`s obviously necessary. Just those changes might make all the difference for some folks. Assuming anybody needs to make any changes....
    Likes Nautical, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

skibik- I`m actually glad you`re not spending more $ on this stuff

And when you post "..it was just too inconvenient..") I think that is very reasonable. So no criticism from me

I`ve tried a lot of flow-through-device approaches, but never found anything that really satisfied me. I`d like to somehow combine a BHB and a foamgun if I could figure out how to do it....it really is just incredible (well, to me...) how the BHBs can rinse clean so easily if I do things right..but that "convenience" factor again...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    JustJesus- If you do buy a BHB, *BE CAREFUL* that you get a good one. The only ones I currently recommend are the ones made by Universal Brush. There are a lot of BHBs on the market that are *NOT*, uhm....Accumulator-approved.
    Thank you, sir!! Guess I`m lucky that supply store didn`t have any BHBs. Just synthetic brushes. Also, the Montana BHBs are on backorder on AG. I`ll look for some Universal ones.

And, Accumulator, you can keep spending *my* money.

.... And rinse/redunk the mitt/etc. very frequently instead of waiting until it`s obviously necessary.
    And *this* is why I started using multiple wash mitts instead of rinse/redunk! It took me way too long, since I did it very often.

Post Thanks / Like

See, that`s another reason to use multiple mitts
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jmsc View Post
    DetailZeus,

Been doing your described method (rinse mitt with a hose) for many years. Good post. Now that I use waterless methods and techniques I don`t even need a hose anymore. BUT, I still use a power wash + rinseless when called for.
    Thanks jmsc. If the hose removes all the dirt, then in theory you`d never be contaminating your wash solution right? I still find some wash media are grabbier than others (such as microfiber wash mitts) and may benefit from rubbing on a grit guard (or switch to fresh media)

I`ve had decent luck with rinseless washing. I have no less than 16 (!), 600 gsm microfiber towels, so plenty of clean sides to flip to for the multiple media method. I`ll be getting a power washer soon so I expect to do a lot of powerwash + rinseless washing. I guess my dilemma now is if I have the powerwasher out is it even worth using a rinseless soap?

I love discussing wash methods, it`s the detailing "thing" you do the most so all the better to find ways to make it faster/safer/more efficient.

Post Thanks / Like

skibik- I`m actually glad you`re not spending more $ on this stuff

And when you post "..it was just too inconvenient..") I think that is very reasonable. So no criticism from me

I`ve tried a lot of flow-through-device approaches, but never found anything that really satisfied me. I`d like to somehow combine a BHB and a foamgun if I could figure out how to do it....it really is just incredible (well, to me...) how the BHBs can rinse clean so easily if I do things right..but that "convenience" factor again...
    I know it is sacrilege to go to a car wash, I have to this time of year, but I would guess you have been to a wand type wash and would guess your car washes wouldn`t be any different than here. Around here they have the foaming brush, I am not sure what the bristles are made of but when I had my Dakota or even my Monte Carlo I used them in the winter time to get the grime off after a rinse of the heavy build up. They feel soft. I know, I know, before I hear "you did that to your vehicle", keep in mind that was before I found this forum and before owning a black car.

Now after thinking about this while typing it up my gears are turning. I don`t think something like that would work with a foam gun but doesn`t those tornadoes use air to make foam? Wouldn`t be enough water though. The other idea that I was thinking of was, don`t some portable pressure washers have a soap dispenser built in? My brother owned one years ago for cleaning machinery, looked like a regular pressure washer that you set a jug on and had a siphon hose, there was a blending lever on the unit and wasn`t that big. Bad thing you would have to find a way to dial down the pressure. If you found a way to hook it to a foam gun I don`t think it would create enough foam but at least you would move soap through the brush. Good luck.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus- The "Montana" brush that AG sells is made by Universal Brush. I sorta pefer their "Blonde" line, but those are pricier and might be too gentle for some applications.

DetaiulZeus- I agree completely about the importance of getting the wash sorted out! FWIW, much as I love the Pressure Washer, IMO you`ll still need the mechanical agitation of doing a rinseless wash/etc. most of the time.

skibik- I sure won`t blame you for going to a carwash if that`s what`s best in *YOUR* situation!

The Tornador doesn`t really work for this IME. It`s too much of a "small area at close range" tool. I had visions of using my Tornador Black for this but after a few tries I gave up on the idea. I don`t really see how/why people use them for wheels...eh, maybe I`m missing something but I can`t imagine what.

I`ve never used the "detergent injection" feature of the Pressure Washers I`ve had with that feature, might work fine.

I have a siphon-fee sprayer that hooks up to my air compressor and works like a mini-Pressure Washer. I used it to spray shampoo solution as a prewash/presoak before I got the current Pressure Washer (no chemical injection). Since getting the Pressure Washer I`ve hardly ever used it, but some time I want to try it with IUDJ.

Post Thanks / Like

DetaiulZeus- I agree completely about the importance of getting the wash sorted out! FWIW, much as I love the Pressure Washer, IMO you`ll still need the mechanical agitation of doing a rinseless wash/etc. most of the time.
    Oh absolutely. What I meant was my "regular" soaps might start getting more use if I already have the pressure washer out. Not a touchless wash.

I actually think a *true* zero bucket wash would be something like pressure rinse + foam + pressure rinse + towel dry without getting dirt on the towel. I think we are close with the current coating technology but not quite there yet.

IIRC that SuperBee guy got somewhere playing with different soaps and LSP`s but wouldn`t risk towel drying without further wash steps.

I could see pressure rinse + foam + pressure rinse + waterless wash with multiple microfibers possibly working on slightly dirty cars with great dirt-shedding lsp (has anyone actually done this???)

Hmm maybe I should stop posting and start selling a wash system...

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing Ive learned from this thread:

there are many ways to wash a car so pick the one that works best for you
    Likes yg1829, RaysWay, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailZeus View Post
    IIRC that SuperBee guy got somewhere playing with different soaps and LSP`s but wouldn`t risk towel drying without further wash steps....
    Yeah, Superbee364 (MIA here, but remembered fondly). His approach got me to try using a Rinseless as part of my wash regimen, though I don`t use it until after more conventional steps than he does (my vehicles get dirtier).

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information