Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401 was painful to use

@Stokdgs
    Are you suggesting to remove the bail handle and use a side handle?

Post Thanks / Like

My Flex doesn`t really cause me any issues on my hands, but my PC used to leave my hands sore and tingly after polishing a car. I am even able to run the 3401 at speed 5 and hold it with one hand at this point. I realized quickly that the Flex will punish you if your pad is not entirely leveled/balanced on the work surface and will give you quite the fight...or a good forearm workout. Give it some time to get used to,feel the feedback from the machine and do minor adjustments to your pressure and angle until it runs smooth. I noticed it is definitely not nearly as forgiving as a random orbital and it needs a lot more of your attention when operating it. I could basically day dream when using my random orbital but with this flex, I have to watch it like a hawk.
    Likes trashmanssd, Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnF350 View Post
    @Stokdgs
    Are you suggesting to remove the bail handle and use a side handle?
    Shawn,

So I assume you are only using the Bail Handle then...

I have never liked using the top bail handle with anything that is rotating in either direction (clockwise or counter-clockwise)

To me, it seems like having a 6 0-Clock and 9 0-Clock grips on these tools offers the most control of the tool and allows both arms and shoulders to share the load more equally...

I remember years ago when all of a sudden tools came out with the bail handle on the top at the end of machines, most everyone went right to that, but I didnt...

It just seems to be much harder to control the tool with one hand at the bottom of the handle and one hand at the top of the tool head in a straight line...

I also dont want more body parts in front of the working part of the machine, the backing plate and pad, I want to be able to clearly see all of the machine head at all times...

For me, with that new Flex back in 2004-5, I saw the optional Side Handle and knew I was going to have to use it - especially because it was going to rotate counter-clockwise - the exact opposite of every tool ever invented I believe here in America, and I knew it would be a handful to handle without anything else..

Flex later came out with an Optional Side Handle that was a little bigger and coated with something more grippy and at the end where it screws into the machine head, it had a flange that was padded I believe to help minimize vibration. it was not black but a different lighter color.. Some detailing sites sell it separately...That place outside of Phoenix, AZ used to sell it.. Their name escapes me at the moment, but you can google it and will know when you see it. Its Auto-something dot com, I think..

I later figured out I had to just learn how to deal with the opposite rotation, and part of dealing with it and the extra work it puts on your body, has been perfectly answered by Migue above ----

Quote -- I realized quickly that the Flex will punish you if your pad is not entirely leveled/balanced on the work surface and will give you quite the fight...or a good forearm workout. Give it some time to get used to,feel the feedback from the machine and do minor adjustments to your pressure and angle until it runs smooth. End Quote Migue

Its a great tool and there is a lot of great feedback here that is also true...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for some good input.....
    I guess I should say.
    I haven`t used the 3401 in a while. I was able to one hand it before I started using the Rupes machines. I didn`t even know anything about it having reverse rotation until i was reading about it here a few months ago. ....lol
    But this was the first time i went with a moderate pressure.
    I usually let the polisher do the work. Even if it takes longer.
    I guess in the short time of just polishing out the hood, my pain level was so high I had to grab for the 15.
    I definitely wanna try the side handle.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    I`m guessing that fancy Flex vibration free one?
    And I`ll go back to my no added pressure way of doing it......

The 3401 has been on standby a while. I just need to be sure that other machines i have can handle everything i need to do before i trade it.

Post Thanks / Like

No bale handle here, do I smell a Rupes mark ll.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information