Post Thanks / Like

Grey paint on black plastic trim

Recently purchased a used red mustang that appears to have come from an auction. When I went to put my new tag on and removed the cardboard/plastic dealer tag, it looks like the auction company sprayed a portion of the the textured black plastic tag surround with grey paint so they could use a grease pencil to number the vehicle.

The grey paint from a distance looks like faded plastic on the over spray that extends beyond the tag, but extends even farther below the new state tag. I`ve used cleaners, 409, citrus, windex with a nylon brush and doesn`t remove the small amount of paint from the visible area. Unfortunately, the red bumper is just below the bottom lip of the tag surround which is the problem area that is visible.

I`ve tried Sonax plastic restorer, but doesn`t remove the grey, just enhances it.

Is it safe to use mineral spirits on a rag to remove the paint or should I try to cover it up with a black plastic restore like Meguiar`s Ultimate black or other black plastic re-finisher, Forever Black etc????

Thanks for your input.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Grey paint on black plastic trim

Pics?

Paint thinner/mineral spirits carefully applied by applicator is probably your best bet.
    Slate Metallic 2015 Toyota Corolla LE, 1.8L CVT

Bright White 2014 Dodge GCV, 30th Anniversary Edition, Blacktop Package. 3.6L 6A
    Likes BufordGT liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Grey paint on black plastic trim

If you can determine what type of paint this is, you can then know what removes it..
    If this is not possible, a product called goof off sold at Home Depot, for example, can remove most paint without harming the paint beneath..
    I would start with a little bit on a sharp end of a Q-Tip on the bottom-most part of the area, so in case it is too strong it hopefully wont be seen easily..
    You will dab and gently rub just that tiny spot, remove the Q-Tip and gently blot any liquid still on the spot, and look at the Q-Tip, to see if you have gray paint on it and the paint underneath that spot is undisturbed..
    Good Luck !
    Dan F
    Likes BufordGT liked this post

Thread Information