Thread: Tired of my dd

Post Thanks / Like

Tired of my dd

So I`m so tired of my daily. The paint looks amazing but it burns oil on an engine known for it but no recall cause it`s in a Pontiac, front suspension, CV axles and outer tie rod needs replacement, and now one of my rear springs just broke. It also needs new tires leaks ac into interior during the summer (think it`s just the condensation) and it only has 93k miles.

I`m able to do the front suspension parts and rear myself, but engine I wont touch as I know enough that I wont do it plus you can`t touch a rebuilt for this for less than $2k. The front parts are total of $400 and I`m not sure yet for the rear.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tired of my dd

Pontiac what? Rear springs shouldnt be much, rock auto probably has the rears for like $60 and you can rent a spring compressor from AutoZone for basically nothing. Pay the fee and when you return it they refund you. If its rear shocks with a separate spring make sure to get the right compressor.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

As a chronic car changer, I say if you are tired of it, sell it! I spend too much time in a car to ride in one I dislike.

So what has caught your eye for a replacement?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Pontiac what? Rear springs shouldnt be much, rock auto probably has the rears for like $60 and you can rent a spring compressor from AutoZone for basically nothing. Pay the fee and when you return it they refund you. If its rear shocks with a separate spring make sure to get the right compressor.
    It not just the cost of rear springs, but also the CV axles and tie rods in front which I can all change but also the burning oil that I can`t do and I dont have the $$$$ for any of the parts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    As a chronic car changer, I say if you are tired of it, sell it! I spend too much time in a car to ride in one I dislike.

So what has caught your eye for a replacement?
    There are several that have caught my eye, I just haven`t got the money to do so

Post Thanks / Like

There`s a piston soak method to free up the stuck oil control rings that plague those engines if you do decide to fix it...
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    There`s a piston soak method to free up the stuck oil control rings that plague those engines if you do decide to fix it...
    I believe it`s to far gone, and having talked with a mechanic friend of mine it`s not worth replacing the engine as itll happen again. His words were that the g6 with the 2.4l engines were built as throw away cars

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Civicclutch View Post
    I believe it`s to far gone, and having talked with a mechanic friend of mine it`s not worth replacing the engine as itll happen again. His words were that the g6 with the 2.4l engines were built as throw away cars
    You`re probably right. I didn`t realize your location and take into consideration corrosion/rust is probably a big concern as well. Sometimes you gotta throw in the towel...
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Civicclutch View Post
    There are several that have caught my eye, I just haven`t got the money to do so

So, what make(s), model(s), and year(s) DO you have your eye on AND how much money do you want to spend???
    No, I am not a car salesperson, but this is the typical scenario of questions in a vehicle-buying decision that needs to be made.

My suggestion? If you are going to look for a decent pre-owned (AKA, used) car at a less-expensive (AKA, cheap) price, then I have two options for you:
    1) An estate sale. When a family`s Dad or Mom passes away, most times the parent`s children end up selling the assets of their estate. The good cars pass on to those children or grand-children, BUT not always. You may be able to buy a decent vehicle from the estate if no one in the family has an interest in the vehicle and the children/heirs/executors of the estate do not wish to bother with that vehicle and just want to unload it to the first buyer who has the money.
    Trouble is you may get a less-than-desired vehicle, like Mom`s (Grandma`s) 1990`s Ford Crown Vic or Chevy Impala. The proverbial "ONLY driven by a little old lady on Sunday to church" may be true and it has low mileage on it, looks immaculate, and the price is right , BUT you have to decide if that vehicle is REALLY what you want to drive. YOU have to determine if "the great price fits my budget" versus the "swallow my pride driving and being seen in an old person`s car" is right for you.
    2) An auction sale. Sometimes these happen at estate sales, sometimes at banks or financial institutions that have re-possessed vehicles, or police/law enforcement agencies that have confiscated vehicles from illegal activities (usually drug busts or tax seizures), or government agencies that are selling off retired "service vehicles" from their fleets. There can be a wide variety of vehicle types. I know a lot of taxi services that buy old cop cars (usually Ford Crown Victoria`s). I talked with a gentleman who drove a pristine-looking Ford Crown Vic that was an ex-Michigan State Trooper Investigator`s driven in the Upper Peninsula, so it was not subject the wear-and-tear of a "normal" State Trooper`s vehicle, even outfitted with Goodyear Winter-rated High-speed tires. He paid like $3,800 for it at a state police auction. He said he got 20-24 MPG with it and he could cruise "unimpeded on highways at 80 MPH" (his words!).

Just trying to give you alternative options to finding a good, used vehicle at a decent price rather than on Craig`s List, Car Guru, or the For Sale Ads.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Yea. Sounds like you are at a point we all reach on a DD. Do I keep it and do the needed repairs or move on? And sometimes we just want a change! After reading your post, seems to me repair vs. something newer, moving on might be best.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Thread Information