Post Thanks / Like

Company Oddities: Bissell

Some companies are just hilarious the way they handle customer service issues. I contacted Bissell because my Spotclean machine hose broke last year and has been surviving on duct tape (yes, it really does fix everything!). It tore because I left it out in the cold overnight then tried to pull on the hose the next day trying to straighten it out. I emailed to ask if I could buy a replacement hose. They email me back and tell me that a replacement hose is not available (what?). They have virtually every other part to this machine available for purchase on their website. They go on to say they will send me a complete remanufactured unit if I cut the cord off my current unit and mail it to them in the fedex package they are sending me (double what?).

There is customer service bending over backwards to take care of customers, then there is just silliness...IMO.

On a side note, then there is Schlage Lock...lifetime mechanical and finish warranty. I called them to submit a claim for one lever that the finish had failed and another that mechanically failed. Took my part number info and the key number and that was it. What? No photos to prove the failures...no proof of purchase. This is technically a "security" company...you would think they would run you through FBI style interrogation, or have a local contractor come out and inspect/verify before sending out new units...especially keyed units. The guy did tell me that car wax would help the finish last longer on the south facing levers (I told him I had better stuff than car wax for UV protectant...LOL)
    Likes tropicsteve liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Company Oddities: Bissell

Quote Originally Posted by wdmaccord View Post
    the guy did tell me that car wax would help the finish last longer on the south facing levers (i told him i had better stuff than car wax for uv protectant...lol)
    hahahahaha
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdmaccord View Post
    They go on to say they will send me a complete remanufactured unit if I cut the cord off my current unit and mail it to them in the fedex package they are sending me (double what?).
    We had to cut the cord off a tower fan and send in a picture once but never had to send it in after cutting. That is strange. Maybe for if someone steals the box in transit they won`t be able to use it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mnehls86 View Post
    We had to cut the cord off a tower fan and send in a picture once but never had to send it in after cutting. That is strange. Maybe for if someone steals the box in transit they won`t be able to use it?
    Actually, no...they want me to cut the power cord and send them the power cord. Weird right? Here`s the email:

Thanks for reaching out to us. I`m sorry the hose isn`t available direct.

I do want to help you. Please see offer below:

I would be happy to send you a replacement so we can get you back to cleaning. To get this process started we`ll need to get your power cord back and then the replacement will be sent to you.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve had similar responses from a companies on consumer goods that went bad; they just send a new one with no need to return the original. Usually they just want a serial no. or date of purchase. One, a few months ago, wanted the label with the SN sent back. Today, manufacturing (in China or where ever) is so cheap it costs them less to simply send a new one than to handle and repair, or dispose of, a returned item.

Post Thanks / Like

Mattress Protector Pads.

Since we have grandchildren sleep-overs, we use mattress pads on beds.

Once upon a time a pad allowed seepage to reach the mattress. The lifetime warranty was honored, but we had to cut out and return a 2` x 2` circle from the center of the pad in order to receive a new exchange. I laughed at that one.

WiFi Router.

A well known brand I won`t advertise here required the 3 antennas be removed in order to receive a free exchange.
    Simple and fair enough.

Mirror.

We purchased a very nice mirror for over a dresser. It arrived with an annoying scratch in the corner. For $600, I wasn`t about to
    keep it. So, to receive a new insert I had to either take it to store 90 miles away or use a utility knife to scratch a diagonal line and
    submit photo proof. I still got the bad end of deal because I had to break up and dispose of the 38" X 44" glass.

Thread Information