Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    A fellow detailer competitor of mine--he buys my towels and we are friends- called the city`s clean water program today to talk about getting a license in my city. She told him that if he does, they will BUY the boom and equipment for him through the program! Not a bad deal, but I was counting on more to be non-compliant! Bummer!

Another competitor listed as compliant was allowing all the runoff into the creek yesterday-- I was turning in paperwork for my refi and there they were right in the parking lot. On the plus side, after talking with my loan guy, he said, "Get here and I`ll have the office staff come down. Do your talk and you can have our lot for business."

Off to more training this weekend with Prentice in San Diego- great hands on training for two full days with networking in the evening. I`ll have pics on my site next week.

Weather is turning towards spring and it seems to be getting busier.

Work the business hard and come out on top as the economy improves!

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slickery
    Man, Relaited if you just would have kept your tone down a little this could have been a good place for you. Oh well, live and learn. I still think the answer is low VOC and environmentally friendly product lines, and having collection points at the end of storm drains. Having a policy that makes people who wash their cars in their driveway criminals, is a joke and will not stop contamination from going into storm drains. It may stop some contamination from Automobiles, but that is nothing compared to pesticides, fertilizers, and other poisons that go into the water supply.

Agreed, although I think the whole VOC thing is a slippery slope. The worst part about these washing bans is that while ostensibly they`re in place for the sake of the environment, it sure seems like just another fine to impose so the municipality in question can squeeze people for more money. Now, that`s just IMO--perhaps I`m just a pessimist. If these policies really are being implemented for the sake of the environment, then it`s a case of good intentions gone awry.
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of these so-called environmental ordinances are just another way of implementing a tax. Get ready for more of this at all levels of government, as the new administration is dead set on getting into your life and your business as much as they can. I`m all for conserving water and avoiding unecessary polution, but I do not need a governmental gun to my head to do so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by karburn
    Most of these so-called environmental ordinances are just another way of implementing a tax. Get ready for more of this at all levels of government, as the new administration is dead set on getting into your life and your business as much as they can. I`m all for conserving water and avoiding unecessary polution, but I do not need a governmental gun to my head to do so.

I couldn`t agree more.
    -Jordan

Over the Top Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    this thread appears to have been a sore point. i just wanted to post that my daughter recently brought home a school paper that is distributed to the students (she attends in orange county). she and her cheerleading squad were planning to organize a car wash at one of the local supermarkets. the local prontowash owner found out about the car wash and took it the the local municipality and complained about how much pollutant would result. he then proceeded to market his service to the school so that he could provide wash service for the car wash. and, he wanted to charge the school from their proceeds for their charity wash.

because of the nature of the wash the city approved the girls charity. i`m just really surprise that someone would go to that extreme for his cause.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Got Wax
    because of the nature of the wash the city approved the girls charity. i`m just really surprise that someone would go to that extreme for his cause.

Ha ha, good one...but I don`t know why you would be surprised after reading this thread.

Some of the newer members may not remember the thread from about 5 years ago when there was a political movement in some areas to try to ban washing your car in your driveway (it was targeted at homeowners, not mobile detailers as in this thread). Turns out the lobbyists pushing the politicians were from, you guessed it, the car wash industry.

Post Thanks / Like
    For his cause maybe. For money, I am not surprised. That`s what this is about.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Got Wax
    this thread appears to have been a sore point. i just wanted to post that my daughter recently brought home a school paper that is distributed to the students (she attends in orange county). she and her cheerleading squad were planning to organize a car wash at one of the local supermarkets. the local prontowash owner found out about the car wash and took it the the local municipality and complained about how much pollutant would result. he then proceeded to market his service to the school so that he could provide wash service for the car wash. and, he wanted to charge the school from their proceeds for their charity wash.

Since the OP is based in Orange County I wouldn`t be surprised if he was directly involved. Based on his posts, it certainly sounds like his MO.
    ~Brett

Creating Parking Lot Envy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Ha ha, good one...but I don`t know why you would be surprised after reading this thread.

Some of the newer members may not remember the thread from about 5 years ago when there was a political movement in some areas to try to ban washing your car in your driveway (it was targeted at homeowners, not mobile detailers as in this thread). Turns out the lobbyists pushing the politicians were from, you guessed it, the car wash industry.

I am working on a white paper concerning this very issue here in Georgia.

The following legislation was not picked up this past session and I only found out about this car wash lobby push from my local city water department.

The car wash lobby has introduced legislation to continue the home car washing bans in our drought areas and expanding this ban for the rest of the state. People in drought areas are already programmed. Clever lobby maneuverings.

The car wash lobby wants to stop everybody [home car washing and mobile detailers] except themselves from washing cars.

I have not seen this proposed legislation paperwork and am only going on what I was told.

I have been researching information on the net that I can condense into a three or four page document to present to my water department contact who has agreed to help me present an opposing view point to the legislators this coming fall.

I am using ONR as my foundation base so any help you have please contact me through here or PM me and we can than exchange email and phone numbers.

al

Post Thanks / Like
    Makes sense that car washes would want to ban all washing except in their facilities.

What do you need to know about onr? There`s a wealth of information on here about it. I`m sure any questions you have of it can be answered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsoto87
    Makes sense that car washes would want to ban all washing except in their facilities.

What do you need to know about onr? There`s a wealth of information on here about it. I`m sure any questions you have of it can be answered.

Sorry about not being clear on the help needed. Thoughts were going through my head but not being typed.

I display, sell and instruct others about ONR usage so this part is not an issue for me.

Plus I have Dr.G`s help concerning his products.

My issue is more towards the area of what laws are in place around the country to limit our ability to wash our cars so I can present as many counterpoints as possible while making an easy to understand document.

For instance the lobby wants everybody to use large dollar containment mats or booms and obtain special discharge permits for disposal. Why? Because the normal homeowner is not going to invest just to wash their car. Some mobile detailers would have to invest but this is a part of doing business.

My simple yet effective answer to this cost factor and the containment issue using ONR and catching a couple of drops is and has been for the past four years to use doggie training pads. These pads hold a quart of water each and I line them around the outline of the car where drips could come off the car. Let the pads air dry and good to go on the next car. Problem solved. Would a normal home owner do this extra step I don’t know but it does present an opposing viewpoint and answer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintPolisher
    My issue is more towards the area of what laws are in place around the country to limit our ability to wash our cars so I can present as many counterpoints as possible while making an easy to understand document.

Heck, that`s easy, it`s the federal Clean Water Act (Clean Water Act Module). Letting your car wash runoff go into a body of water or a storm drain is illegal, everywhere. The catch is that enforcement is delegated to local authorities, which have widely varying priorities.

Post Thanks / Like
    Content Removed. :nono

Post Thanks / Like
    Content Removed. :bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    Heck, that`s easy, it`s the federal Clean Water Act (Clean Water Act Module). Letting your car wash runoff go into a body of water or a storm drain is illegal, everywhere. The catch is that enforcement is delegated to local authorities, which have widely varying priorities.

Thank you for taking the time from your valuable free time and responding with your answer and the link.

I see where my late night reading is going to be for the next couple of days or weeks.

Knowledge is power and I am so glad that I reached out, you have helped me immensely.

al

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information