Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    It is not about the biodegradible soap ... it is about the contaminants removed from the vehicle. Woudl you drink it? Do you think the fish can decide what is bio and what is hazardous?

Intersting to see those complain about other industries. Tht is why the Regulators are doing what they are doing.

-jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I think what we`re saying is that the regulation can sometimes be worse than what is being regulated. For example, as SuperBee mentioned, how much of a carbon footprint do these water reclamation systems have? For someone washing ~100 cars a year outside, I am going to guess that it`s a net loss to the environment, and a net loss to the business owner.

And how far do we go? This weekend I pressure washed the front my my house. I wouldn`t drink the run-off from that either - will I need a water reclamation system around my house soon?
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    Regulators have to do something to justify their salary which is usually paid for by the taxpayers. Funny how that works, meanwhile the working people get hurt by losing their jobs and paying higher taxes because a small business can`t keep up with these regulations. How many detailers will have to stop and lose their income due to tree hugging hippies with nothing better to do than screw up their own state and then wonder why our states that are doing fine don`t want to be like them. Then after their State goes down the crapper, they move to a different State and vote the same damn way. Friggen idiots!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Follow the money...
    -Jordan

Over the Top Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Relaited
    It is not about the biodegradible soap ... it is about the contaminants removed from the vehicle. Woudl you drink it? Do you think the fish can decide what is bio and what is hazardous?

Intersting to see those complain about other industries. Tht is why the Regulators are doing what they are doing.

-jim

No, but i wouldn`t suck on the exhaust pipe of the diesel truck spewing crap into the air as it picks up my reclaimed water, either.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Too bad the detail industry does not have expensive lobbyists in Washington. If we, did this would not even be an issue.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Hobbyist Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Having formerly worked for Florida`s Dept. of Env. Protection (in water and legal) and having a GF that currently works for Water in a section responsible for testing stormwater runoff, I asked her some hard questions last night.

The issue to me with these ordinances is not so much that they seek to catch potentially harmful runoff. Frankly, I don`t have a problem with the idea. It`s going to be brutal for the mobile guys though. The REAL devil is in what to do with the run-off once you have it?

Industrial wastewater is regulated quite strictly here in Florida, and fines from those out of compliance bring in a LOT of money to cover budgetary shortfalls in the agency. But, large industrial installations have treatment options that the mobile detailer simply doesn`t. It`s not like you can catch your water, filter it, and present the sludge to a facility for disposal. Any such facility would have to be permitted to perform that function, and at currently it simply doesn`t exist.

Honestly, I think the proper way to deal with the issue, is for it to be handled like home mechanics changing oil in the driveway. The oil is captured, delivered to the local commercial oil changing place or Autozone/PepBoys/ect. for disposal. They are equipped to handle that load, and permitted to do so. Once the mechanism is in place to handle it, the devil becomes the mechanism for how to capture it and filter it. Industrial installations have very sophisticated gear to do this. Separating oil, grease, and other contaminants from the water in a mobile environment isn`t going to be an easy nut to crack. At least not in a cost effective way.

These types of mandates will either drive out mobile businesses completely, or only make them available to people with businesses strong enough to absorb the added expense of putting a capture system in place.

Sticky problem to be sure.

Charlotte, NC (actually Iron Station, NC)
    Post Thanks / Like
    What about the pollutants from the plants that manufacture these water reclaimation systems? What about the emissions from the trucks that transport them out of the factory once completed? What about the emissions from the trucks that deliver raw materials to the factory to make these reclaimation systems? The sky is falling!!!
    Ridding the world of swirls, one car at a time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendwarrior
    What about the pollutants from the plants that manufacture these water reclaimation systems? What about the emissions from the trucks that transport them out of the factory once completed? What about the emissions from the trucks that deliver raw materials to the factory to make these reclaimation systems? The sky is falling!!!

Exactly. And knee-jerk, feel-good laws that end up hurting the environment more than the process they are regulating continues to run rampant.

I wish I could remember the name of the magazine, but I recently read a very well done article by a guy that has a Phd in Physics. He calculated the carbon footprint from ore to disposal of a Kenworth semi and a Prius. Being as how I`m bringing this up, you can guess the result. Yup, the Prius (mostly due to the manufacturing and recycling of the batteries over it`s life) was more damaging to the environment from cradle to grave than a semi. But all the "Greenies" in their blissful ignorance keep snappin` them up, then give me a glare as I fill up my Hemi at the gas station. I just shake my head, knowing that I`m "greener" than them.

I`d be willing to place money on the same thing happening with this water reclamation crap. All the fossil fuels being wasted to pump and transport... boggles the mind, really.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    So it`s ok for the general population to wash their car in their driveway, but mobile detailers are basically the only ones that cant. Sounds real good for brick and morter car washes where this would be a lot easier to enforce, hmm. Maybe the answer is a small matt that can be put under a panel at a time, and using something like ONR. If you use ONR you only need to capture a gallon or two. The gov`t should encourage business, not make it prohibitively hard to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, often times, people obcessed with a cause, as well as our government officials, don`t comprehend the theory of "cause and effect". What often sounds like a good idea is just taken and run with, without thoroughly analyzing EVERY area that will be effected by said cause.

I love when the government announces they are going to "save" money by cutting out the purchasing of some item (a military jet for instance), or some service. After the service gets cut out, they then discover thousands of people are suddenly unemployed because their livelihoods were tied to that item or service. So, now the government has to pay all of those thousands of people unemployment and other things, thereby negating a lot, if not all of the "savings".

The same can be said for a lot of these environmental causes. Most of the activists I talk to can`t see the forest for the trees so to speak. After talking to most of them for just a few minutes, I find that I actually live a "greener" life than them, just by utilizing basic common sense and consideration for other people, and the environment (not being wasteful) I live in.

Oh well, I guess that`s what`s so great about this country (for now anyways) that we don`t have to all agree on issues like this, and can debate freely...although a lot of these activists don`t seem to agree with me on this point.

Post Thanks / Like
    If we didn`t wash our cars, wouldn`t the rain cause what ever is on the cars to end up on roads anyway? The answer is to find environmentally friendly products, as opposed to making ridiculous laws that are not easily enforceable and detrimental to business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slickery
    If we didn`t wash our cars, wouldn`t the rain cause what ever is on the cars to end up on roads anyway? The answer is to find environmentally friendly products, as opposed to making ridiculous laws that are not easily enforceable and detrimental to business.

That`s crazy talk. I want my local police chasing down evil car washers, instead of tracking down murderers and rapists.:think2

Hobbyist Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slickery
    If we didn`t wash our cars, wouldn`t the rain cause what ever is on the cars to end up on roads anyway?

If the rain degreased engines and melted off brake dust, detailing would be a lot less necessary...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SCoach
    If the rain degreased engines and melted off brake dust, detailing would be a lot less necessary...

The EPA makes an exception for the largest group of people who "offend", IE everyone except professional detailers, lol. If there is a grease problem on an engine, it`s coming from something that is leaking and more then likely will drop fluids on the ground regardless if it`s washed or not. And I`m sure rain and wind has been responsible for plenty of brake dust hitting the ground,

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information