Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    It has been stated, and I am curious about, whether NXT has some fine abrasives in it? I would consider this a unique, and frankly a nice addition.

I also would like to apply it via my PC since I was pleased with how it came out by hand. Should I use a finishing pad, or a polishing pad? Thanks for any help :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    I would of thought a finishing pad would be best for applying NXT, but Mike Phillips suggested the other day that he prefers to use a polishing pad.
    My name`s Craig...

...and I`m addicted to detailing!

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ that.

Mike says the finishing pad tends to gum up w/ product. I used it with a Megs polishing pad (yellow) with great success. :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    So I was going to put NXT on top of 3 coats of SG. If NXT has some cleaning ability, is it going to take off the SG (especially with a PC)??

Post Thanks / Like
    I to need to try the 8006 w/nxt it does clog up the fin. pad
    2oo1 ws6 Trans am blackbird Stage2 #19 433 rwhp 409 rwt

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by breakneckvtec

It has been stated, and I am curious about, whether NXT has some fine abrasives in it? I would consider this a unique, and frankly a nice addition.

The term I was given was highly specialized abrasives. (I checked twice). They must be very small and/or unique because the product does not scratch paint and although some people lump it together with all cleaner waxes, it really is limited to the spectrum of surface defects it will remove. For example, it is not effective at all for removing oxidation. A much better choice would be a true cleaner/wax, or a dedicated paint cleaner.

I also would like to apply it via my PC since I was pleased with how it came out by hand. Should I use a finishing pad, or a polishing pad? Thanks for any help :xyxthumbs

This is how I prefer to apply it, with the PC. Often times in discussion on technique and procedures, I mention in passing that one of the factors that should be considered when polishing paint is your application material.

The W-8006 foam polishing pad has much more bite than the W-9006 finishing pad which is very soft and almost gushy feeling when used with both the rotary and the PC.

So, if you want more cleaning effect from any product, the W-8006 pad will clean better than the W-9006 finishing pad.

To your question...

If your finish is in excellent condition, and you want as much polishing and protecting action from the process, I would use the W-9006 foam finishing pad. Especially if this was your second coat after allowing the first coat to dry or set-up for over 12 hours.

If you want more cleaning, and smoothing out of the finish then I would choose the W-8006 foam polishing pad, especially for the fist pass if your going to go over the car twice with the Tech Wax.

I`m sure some will say that these differences are subtle, which I agree they are, but for Autopians, the details are in the details.

The art of polishing paint is more of a passion than a procedure.

For what it`s worth, and your mileage may vary...

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike I would like your comments on the "light" cleaners and how that relates to additional layers. The bottle suggests layering is optional , but any cleaners would reduce or remove the previous level.

Also ..

Does the Spray Wax contain the same "light specialized" cleaners ??

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by killrwheels

Mike I would like your comments on the "light" cleaners and how that relates to additional layers. The bottle suggests layering is optional , but any cleaners would reduce or remove the previous level.

Also ..

Hi killrwheels,

Are you the same Killrwheels that posts to CorvetteForum?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=778601

And, what is your definition of "Layering", and can you list some products that you believe layer according to your definition of the word?

I just want to make sure were talking the same language.

Mike

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Also ..

Oh yeah...

How`s your tool box looking?

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    yes, I am one in the same. And as you can tell, I am not very fond of NXT. I had hoped it would be all Mequires claimed, but found the results on Silver to be disappointing at best. Luckily time rewarded me with Wolfgang Concours and it "seems" to be a "great" product.

As to layering, I have read in your past comments as well as several others that these specialized cleaners (ie abrasives) can remove other products such as carnuba waxes and Zaino. If that is true, than adding another layer of NXT is simply removing some or all of the previous layer. Does the Spray wax also hold the same "specialized abrasives " ???

As for the tool box, I was looking for NXT`s redeeming qualities. Unfortunately I did not prep (polish / glaze) the tool box first and results were unrewarding at best. I really wondered if Mequires product was "better" on darker finishes.

I have nothing against you, and feel that NXT is ultimately marketed towards a different crowd. (mass retail) I dont feel it compares to Klasse , Blackfire, and Wolfgang. But I also dont want to spout wrong information if I have misunderstood some of your posts. Thats why I am coming to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am curious about this too. I was under the impression (possibly mistakingly) that Zaino could be layered. I added two coats back to back of Zaino and THOUGHT I saw am difference - was that not layering? Was it attributed to better full covereage and not layering?

Also Mike had mentioned that it is best to protect the clear coat from UV - I thought that is what I was doing by applying a UV protectant product? (Although - I have a tough time imagining that UV protection really lasts any length of time when applied and removed like a wax or polish)

Be CAREFUL - you guys might just take the mystery and black magic out of detailing!
    2003 Corvette Convertible, MN6, Millennium Yellow

Post Thanks / Like
    Zaino is a true sealant with no abrasives as is Klasse Sealant , Blackfire, and Wolfgang. They have no cleaning, stripping, or other abilities. Kinda like a last level product. NXT , however, seems to have "specialized cleaners" and thus another layer would only remove or strip the previous layer. Thats what I want to know, also does the Spray Wax contain the same cleaners ??

As for UV protection, most sealants include this in their makeup. And some QD`s add additional. Z6 from Zaino for example ... You can even find it in some protectants, ala 303 protectant .

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

yes, I am one in the same. And as you can tell, I am not very fond of NXT.
    After reading your posts on CorvetteForum, I already knew that.

I had hoped it would be all Mequires claimed, but found the results on Silver to be disappointing at best.
    Now there`s the ultimate test... See my comments on paint color and wax performance below.

Luckily time rewarded me with Wolfgang Concours and it "seems" to be a "great" product.
    Ahh good old Time, the great rewarder.

Like I always say,

"Find something you like and use it often"

As to layering, I have read in your past comments as well as several others that these specialized cleaners (ie abrasives) can remove other products such as carnuba waxes and Zaino. If that is true, than adding another layer of NXT is simply removing some or all of the previous layer. Does the Spray wax also hold the same "specialized abrasives " ???

Let`s review, from my answer to your question above,

originally posted by Mike Phillips

And, what is your definition of "Layering", and can you list some products that you believe layer according to your definition of the word?

I just want to make sure we’re talking the same language.

I’m still waiting for your answers, you know, to make sure we’re talking the same language

As for the tool box, I was looking for NXT`s redeeming qualities. Unfortunately I did not prep (polish / glaze) the tool box first and results were unrewarding at best. I really wondered if Mequires product was "better" on darker finishes.
    Again, another stellar test...

You know, if your were really sincere in your questions, that would be one thing and I would by happy to answer them, but your posts here, and on CorvetteForum, like this one,

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=778912

I clearly missed this one , sorry ! All the NXT stuff I suppose

Your Corvetteforum discount applies 10% off, and the Wolfgang discount was for the same amount. I believe it was Wolf01 . Some of us got lucky and snagged an evaluation kit. This stuff rocks , very similar to Zaino. Better than NXT, Klasse, and Blackfire IMHO.

Again, your post on CorvetteForum,

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=772366

http://www.wolfgangcarcare.com/

not a fan of NXT .... but initial results with this new Sealant look very promising. Its sold at http://www.autogeek.net and 10% forum discount applies. Its very user friendly, it comes on/off with ease, looks very reflective, and no mixing/curing time necessary. It can also be layered, but durability is unknown as too new.

And again,

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=778041

go to http://www.autopia.org and type Wolfgang in the search field. Everyone is impressed with it. It is Zaino and what NXT (sucks) was suppose to be. All results are positive and more glowing results surface daily.

and again here...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=773953

1. Shine is very subjective to each person. I dont think its as good as Pinnacle Soveran for depth and wetness (partially due to oils that carnuba contains) but equally as glossy and reflective as Zaino and Klasse. (Blackfire and NXT** dont compare IMHO)

2. I dont like the idea of toppers. To much work needed, to remove and recover every couple months. While sealant will provide extra durability, the carnuba makes another level impossible. Also can the oils and wax deteriorate the sealant level quicker ??

**I have taken alot of heat on my impressions of NXT , but alot of seasoned detailers are finding similar results. It works well on dark colors but seems to have a color addiative or brightners that everyone likes initially. It has cleaners (Mequires admitted it and can remove past sealants) thus making layering a bogus feature, and durability is no better than a carnuba. Different thoughts will apply as this is subjective not clinical in nature.

Up until now I used a sealant exclusively on wifes car for durability. I used Klasse (AIO and sealant) but will easily consider Wolfgang. While I still have many bottles of Zaino it is just to cumbersome with mixing, curing, and levels needed. (It still looks the best when done properly however) I would easily park Wolfgang next to it, and just wonder if durability can match Klasse (4 months) to Zaino (6 months).

Just a note, the best test of any last step product is on black paint. Black paint demonstrates how dark, or how dull a product performs. If a product works great on black paint, it will work great on all colors. If a product only works good on light colors or silver colors, that’s code to me that the product doesn’t work well on black paint. Actually, for most people, when we talk about working on different paint colors, it’s very misleading. If your car has a clearcoat, that means your not working on color, but on clear paint.

If a product works well on black paint, or in other words, clear coat over black paint. Then because you’re actually working on a clear coat, this means your product works great on a clear coat. As in it makes it darker and more clear, and it doesn’t dull it, or make it look plasticy. (hazy). If a product makes black paint darker by making the clear coat more clear, than isn’t that the ultimate finish? A totally clear, clear coat? If a product is said to be better on silver paint, (or whatever), then isn’t that saying the product is good on clear paint over silver? But, if this same product isn’t good on black paint, which is clear paint over black paint, then isn’t that really a way of saying the product dulls a clear coat and should only be used on silver, or light colors where the base coat won’t show the true results of the product because it’s lighter?

All this talk about one product being better on light colors and some product being better on dark colors is nonsense. The true test of any product is on black paint, or a clear coat finish over black paint. If a product can make black paint/clear coat over black paint look it’s darkest and most clear, the product will naturally make any color paint, especially and color of paint with a clear coat over it, look it’s darkest and clearest.

If a product gets a reputation for working best on light colors, well that’s because it doesn’t work well on dark colors and black paint and that’s because it dull the single stage paint, or the clear coat.

It’s hard to believe the topic of some products work better on some colors has become so confused when most cars have a clear coat. A product either makes the clear coat clear, or is doesn’t. Isn’t that the goal? 99.9% Optically Clear?

Let’s make a list of products, i.e. waxes, paint protectants and polishes, that have a reputation for making black paint, both single stage and clear coat dark and clear.

Let’s see, since Killrwheels said above,

It works well on dark colors
    Let`s start a list of waxes that make single stage black and black paint with a clear coat over it, look darker and more clear.

More...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=777362

I am truly impressed with Wolfgang. While not as wet as Pinnacle Soveran, it truly is a better Zaino and clearly what Mequires NXT was suppose to be. It goes on easy, comes off extremely easy even when heavy, and it looks extremely reflective and glossy. Durability is the only unknown factor !

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=778601

I agree that proper prep with make any sealant, or wax look better. That being said, there is alot of disention on NXT over at http://www.autopia.org (true detailing board) This board is monitored by Mequires and pro-detailers, and a search will provide many pics, complaints, comparisions, and positive results.

They have found out it contains light cleaners, from Mike Phillips at Mequires himself, and can remove previous levels and products. that means all of your additional layer claims are bogus, you are not enhancing but stripping Now the booster may not have the same properties, this has not been discussed further.

They also found that the durability of the product is 4-8 weeks. same as carnuba, and unlike sealants like Zaino, Klasse, and Blackfire It also prefers to sheet not bead like traditional products, which takes some getting use to.

If you are really looking for a Zaino clone, look at Wolfgang Concours. Does everything better than NXT. Now in all fairness, durability is still out, as product is too new. But look at the same board http://www.autopia.org and see not a bad review yet.

I will admit that NXT favors black rides. I used it on my mamoth tool box (vblack) this weekend, with no prep. It streaked, and everytime I open the drawer it leaves fingerprints. Unscientific at best ....

I have nothing against you, and feel that NXT is ultimately marketed towards a different crowd. (mass retail) I dont feel it compares to Klasse , Blackfire, and Wolfgang. But I also dont want to spout wrong information if I have misunderstood some of your posts. Thats why I am coming to you.

NXT Tech Wax is marketed towards anyone who wants their finish to look great. This includes the mass retail market, (you know, your neighbors, friends and parents), as well as serious enthusiasts. Car wax isn`t prejudice. It either works on paint, or it doesn`t. It doesn`t care if it is being applied to a Corvette, or a Chevette.

As we all know, you are entitled to your opinion. Autopia fosters this free expression from all it`s members. Your opinion is that Tech Wax doesn`t compare to Klasse, Blackfire, Wolfgang and Zaino, and you appear to be willing to go to great lengths to make sure that your opinion is understood. Works for me. Keep it up. You`re doing a stellar job.

I appreciate that you don`t want to spout wrong information. It doesn`t appear that you have misunderstood any of my posts. It does appear you only like to pick and choose portions that bolster your dislike for NXT Tech Wax. I mean, just a casual perusal of your posts on CorvetteForum tend to show you really like and promote some products through coupon codes and links, while harbor a complete disdain for Tech Wax after applying it to your tool box.

Look’s like you already know the answers to your questions. I don`t think the are any highly specialized abrasives in the NXT Spray Wax. But I`ll check because I think that is a valid question.

You know killrwheels, I enjoy answering questions and doing my best to help people get the best possible results from there time, money and efforts.

I have been posting to the Internet since 1994, probably before the majority of people knew what the Internet was/is. I read your first post to this thread and remembered reading many of your negative posts on CorvetteForum and it was pretty hard for me to believe your intentions were/are for good.

Perhaps they are, but it just doesn’t read that way. If you don`t like the results NXT Tech Wax is giving you on your tool box, then apply some Pinnacle or Wolfgang to your tool box. Then, take a pretty picture, (as some would say). I noticed from your profile your about 10 years younger than me, but we still have something in common, a love for high speed and sexy looking cars and boats.

I almost bought a Corvette back when I was 21, it was a 1967 roadster with a big block Chevy, black of course. I was debating between the Corvette, and a Drag Boat, I finally chose the drag boat and owned it for 19 years. So even though you like other waxes for your ride, that doesn’t mean we don’t have anything in common and can agree to disagree.

Below is a picture of my Sanger Drag boat, I always thought of it as a Corvette on the water. I clocked 111mph in 13seconds when I was 23 on pump gas, with both seats in the boat and two full tanks of gas, (that`s about 140 lbs of extra fuel weight not to mentin the dead weight of the seats).

They guy I bought the boat from clocked 122 mph in 9 seconds and held a national title. (Super Modified)

Too much fun...

Mike

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Ragtop_Rob

I am curious about this too. I was under the impression (possibly mistakenly) that Zaino could be layered. I added two coats back to back of Zaino and THOUGHT I saw am difference - was that not layering? Was it attributed to better full coverage and not layering?

An automotive surface coating, (paint), can only hold so much wax, or polish, before all you`re doing is either replacing the coating you previously applied, or merely removing the excess off as waste. If a product truly could "layer" as the word is being used above, i.e. to continually increase the thickness, or film build, then unless that product is as clear as water in the bottle, then the layers will not be either.

Also Mike had mentioned that it is best to protect the clear coat from UV - I thought that is what I was doing by applying a UV protectant product?

Taking care of the clear coat finish, (with the UV protection included from the paint manufacture), makes more sense than trying to protect the paint with something your pour or spray out of a bottle. Paint manufactures know more about their paint then most wax companies. You can add a UV protectant to a product, Meguiar`s does this as do others, and it helps, but the longest service life from your paint will come from maintaining the paint, not adding a UV protectant out of a bottle. YMMV

(Although - I have a tough time imagining that UV protection really lasts any length of time when applied and removed like a wax or polish)

That`s part of it. Kind of related to layering, just how much product can you leave on a surface? The best UV protection for your car`s paint isn`t a layer of product, it`s a garage.

Be CAREFUL - you guys might just take the mystery and black magic out of detailing!

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. Cliffs Notes, anyone?

Originally posted by Mike Phillips

All this talk about one product being better on light colors and some product being better on dark colors is nonsense. The true test of any product is on black paint, or a clear coat finish over black paint. If a product can make black paint/clear coat over black paint look it’s darkest and most clear, the product will naturally make any color paint, especially and color of paint with a clear coat over it, look it’s darkest and clearest.

If a product gets a reputation for working best on light colors, well that’s because it doesn’t work well on dark colors and black paint and that’s because it dull the single stage paint, or the clear coat.

It’s hard to believe the topic of some products work better on some colors has become so confused when most cars have a clear coat. A product either makes the clear coat clear, or is doesn’t. Isn’t that the goal? 99.9% Optically Clear?

I don`t think I could disagree more.

In my experience, different last-step products do indeed impart different looks to different colors of paint. You keep talking about how NXT makes black paint "look its darkest", and that may be true. However, to my eye, it muted the metallic flake in the base coat on my silver WRX . . . it offered a little more depth of shine than some other synthetics I`ve used, but at the expense of the "pop" from the silver flake. So based on your statement that "A product either makes the clear coat clear, or it doesn`t.", I would respond, "NXT doesn`t." Either my results are atypical, or NXT increases depth at the expense of clarity. From reading some other reviews, I don`t think I`m alone in that opinion.

It`s not necessarily a bad thing (even desirable on dark non-metallics), but to call it "nonsense" a bit disingenuous, IMO.

Tort

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information