Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I meant it as a bit of a joke, because we`re all familiar with the Phillips novels.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by geekysteve

I meant it as a bit of a joke, because we`re all familiar with the Phillips novels.

Yeah... I`m what I think they call a long copy writer...

My wife won`t even read my posts... I`m amazed anyone else does.

But the point is, I really do try to answer questions with the truth and as fast as I can.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by killrwheels

Lets get this question answered so we can move onto durability. I really wanna disect this one also.

When we dissect durability, we should probably separate the word durability from protection.

I have had a bird bomb my truck hood and leave behind a bird dropping that was really durable.

That is, the bird dropping dried on hard, it was though it had cured or bonded to the finish. In order to remove it, I had to saturate it with water and scrub it off. I think it would have stayed their for a long, long time it was so durable had I not intervened. So while some coatings may be durable, that doesn’t automatically mean they protect at the same time.

So please start another thread one titled, Durability and one titled Protection

Thanks,

Mike

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BW

Here, I`ll try to answer. Mike gave you his opinion (along with some public tongue-lashing), and I`ll give you mine.

NXT doesn`t layer.

The abrasives in NXT will remove anything under it.

There are products that do layer.

The End.

Okay, I`m off to the pool to swim...

And I`m off to work out with the home gym. I want to make sure anyone who wants to post their feelings, or opinions, or ideas about what the word Layer, layering, layerable means.

Not being evasive, I have my answer all typed up in MS Word and ready to copy and paste into this thread.

I just thought for the sake of the discussion, we should get as many opinions on the meaning of the word Layer as we can.

Especially when it comes to products that hype/claim to add more and more protection with each additional coat.

Or with each additional layer the finish becomes more and more deep and wet looking, as though there is no end to how deep and wet looking a finish can become.

Or, more and more optically clear with each additional coat.

You get the idea, there are a lot of opinions out there on what layering means. I just want to come to some accepted definitions by all.

Is this okay?

Is there really a big rush to conclude this thread?

Off to the gymâ€

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Answering makes me feel like bait for some reason... but here it goes. By layering, I mean protection, durability, and appearance improves after each application. Example:

The three coats of Z2 protect the marker against the solvents in NXT better than once coat of Z2. OK, to the shower!

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BW

Answering makes me feel like bait for some reason... but here it goes. By layering, I mean protection, durability, and appearance improves after each application. Example:

The three coats of Z2 protect the marker against the solvents in NXT better than once coat of Z2. OK, to the shower!

Hi BW, please don`t feel like bait, I`m not that way. I really just want to let everyone with an opinion on this subjective subject have a chance to join into the conversation.

Now I`m not a chemist, I have never pretended to be or claimed to be, in fact, I usually try to steer the discussion in a way that the average Joe Consumer can both understand and relate to. That said, it`s probably not any solvents, in NXT Tech Wax, that are responsible for the removal of the felt marker, but the highly specialized abrasives in the Tech Wax.

Tech Wax was formulated to meet the EPA’s new, incredibly stringent V.O.C. regulations for 2005 here in California.

One more note: Although the word abrasives tend to conjure up thoughts of a products that scratch, consider this:

For all of you that have the Tech Wax in your possession, if you have a flawless finish to test on, then try this simple test.

Using a clean, soft foam applicator pad, apply a small amount of Tech wax to your flawless finish and remove and look to see if it left any scratches.

The correct result is, no... it should leave any scratches, that’s because the abrasives used in Tech Wax are not those kind of abrasives. Remember, there are many types of abrasives that Meguiar`s has access to. This enables the chemists to pick and choose the exact type of abrasive to accomplish the goal of the product.

Look at this example: The nap of a 100% cotton terry cloth towel, consists of little tiny cotton threads in the shape of a loop. These little cotton loops are a type of abrasive when used in the right manner with the right product on the right surface.

Same kind of thinking applies with Tech Wax...

In the case of Tech Wax, the goal is to eliminate fine scratches. This is done in two ways, the highly specialized abrasives both remove scratches, and the polymers fill in the scratches. The result is a more clear and more defect free surface.

That is the goal correct? a clear, reflective, high gloss surface?

(and protection too)

Mike

p.s.

BW, did the Tech Wax make your dryer look good?

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    So far,

I have these three responses quoted as the posters opinion on what the word layering means to them.

By layering, I mean the ability to put on an additional layer that benefits or enhances the previous layer, without removing the first layer THROUGH THE CHEMICALS/ ABRASIVES CONTAINED WITHIN SAID PRODUCT.

Klasse SG, Zaino Z2 .... are products that come to mind. Maybe Wolfgang and even Menzerna FMJ , time will tell.

Originally posted by geekysteve

I layer a product primarily to improve the standard deviation and to ensure total coverage. If I happen to be using a product that is capable of cross-linking, I believe additional layers can assist with protection, because as I understand it, certain protectants apply as if they were a piece of "chain link fence." (Obviously that`s an extreme example, but it`s the first one that came to mind)

By increasing layers, I might be able minimize the "gaps" in the chain link fence (so to speak, and again, this is only specific to some products), which improves deviation which improves appearance, and hopefully improves durability.

Hack, slice and respond at will.

Originally posted by BW

By layering, I mean protection, durability, and appearance improves after each application.

Anyone else care to chime in?

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    A year ago when I bought my Klasse stuff, I read about cars with a dozen or more layers of Klasse having a brilliant shine. The image that popped into my mind was one of stacking sheets of Saran Wrap on top of each other, with each sheet corresponding to a layer of sealant. The idea I got was that the protective barrier could be make thicker, and thus more impervious, and that making it thicker would make it look better too.

But when I think about it, this would be a whole lot easier to believe if the application of the sealant consisted of only one step: wiping it on the surface. But no, there`s this second step, called "removal". How is the buffing towel supposed to know how much product to remove in order to leave a perfect "layer" behind? How does it do that without removing some of the layer underneath the new layer, unless the previous application dried infinitely hard?

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    The answer to your questionâ€.

Mike I would like your comments on the "light" cleaners and how that relates to additional layers. The bottle suggests layering is optional , but any cleaners would reduce or remove the previous level.

Also ..

Does the Spray Wax contain the same "light specialized" cleaners ??

Taken from a response I wrote to another persons question at www.meguiarsonline.com

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...g&pagenumber=1

Just to chime in here,

Because whether or not a product is capable of layering is such a hot topic in the online detailing communities, I think it`s only natural that the discussion takes place, and what better place than here.

I know that layering is possible at least to the degree of creating a layer with a uniform density.

I think that layering is possible if by layering you mean increasing the thickness of a layer of product, at least to some degree.

But I believe that at some point, the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

The Law of Diminishing Returns

(Thomas Malthus "Essay on the Principle of Population" published in 1798.)

While this theory is generally used to discuss topics as they relate to the areas of economics and politics, it is a model that can also be used to explain in this case, the complex action occurring at the microscopic level on the surface of your car’s finish.

The law of diminishing returns as it relates to layering,

A surface, such as an automotive paint, can only hold so much product before all you’re doing is removing all subsequent coatings applied to the surface.

That is to say, after the first, second and in some cases a third application/coating, any more product applied to the surface is merely removed when you wipe the excess off after waiting for the product to dry or cure.

At this point you’ve reached a plateau, (or limit), as to how much wax, (natural or synthetic) a surface can hold. Once you reach this plateau, all further applications of wax simply become excess that will be removed (and thus wasted), during wipe-off because it has nowhere to attach and layer.

Of course, this all depends upon your definition of the word “Layerâ€.

If your definition of the word layer follows that of Webster’s Dictionary,

2 a: One thickness, course, or fold, laid or lying over or under another

Then yes, you can layer to a certain point. For example, you can add multiple layers of layerable waxes until the limit to how much a given surface of an automotive paint can hold before each additional application is simply removed, or replaces a previously applied layer.

You cannot layer to the point of developing a measurable film-build without negatively affecting, or diminishing to some degree, the shine, optical clarity, gloss, reflectivity, depth of color etc. This is especially true if the product you’re applying is not clear (in and of itself) to start with.

If your definition of the word “layer†means,

Layer 1: To continually build a greater level of protection with each additional application, or layer, of a wax or protectant. (Natural or synthetic)

Layer 2: To continually increase shine, optical clarity, gloss, reflectivity, depth of color without end and/or after a plateau, or point of maximum potential has been achieved.

Then no, you cannot layer a wax, synthetic, natural, or otherwise.

I know Meguiar`s recommends multiple coats of both our new Velocity Mold Sealer and mold Release as well as our traditional Mold Release Waxes when preparing a mold for lay-up. But, in these situation, the goal is never to make the mold look good, but to insure maximum protection. (Prevent sticking a mold).

(As a side note, molds prepared with the Meguiar’s mold release systems do look exceptionally clear and glossy, especially with the new Velocity Liquid Polymer system.)

When it comes to automotive finishes however, I think there is a trade-off when looking for a product that layers and a product that doesn`t.

If a product truly layers, as in it builds up a thickness, then it would in essence be doing what is expected, and hoped for, by the coating of paint. That is it would deposit a coating that protects the paint which is of course the goal. But, if a product truly does layer, then it is vitally important that the surface be absolutely clean with each application or you would risk sealing, or locking in dirt, dust and other above and below surface contaminants.

This would be easy to control as long as the car in question was/is never exposed to the outside world. However, once the car is exposed to the outside world, then we lose this tight control over insuring a dust, dirt and contaminant free surface.

To wash, or quick detail the vehicle doesn`t insure the finish is completely free from dirt, dust and contaminants as these things, in microscopic form, can penetrate and imbed into the matrix of the wax coating and also in the pores and microscopic surface imperfections of the paint.

That was part of what I was writing about in my article, "The lesson white paint teaches us". In this article, I explain how paint becomes dirty, below the surface that in most cases our eyes cannot see because it happens evenly over the entire surface and slowly over time.

The reason I noticed it, was because the paint on two cars that I had detailed had become dramatically grayer with dirt build up under the surface except for where the paint was protected by a bra after only a few months of daily driving. Both of these cars were washed and maintained, but the paint still became dirty under the surface. This taught me that normal washing does not completely remove all dirt, dust, road grime, and other contaminants.

So to say that washing a car, or quick detailing a car before applying a product with no cleaning ability will be enough to insure that you are not coating over, or sealing dirt under the surface is somewhat hard to prove. That is if it`s exposed to the world in which we live in.

If on the other hand, it is always garage kept, then perhaps it`s possible to not coat over and seal in dirt, dust and other unwanted contaminants.

If the car in question is exposed to the world in which we live in for any amount of time between regular application of a protection type product, then I would venture to say, for a majority of the population, a pure protection product, (that is a product with no cleaning ability whatsoever), would do their finish more harm than good in that it will be coating over and sealing in microscopic particles of dirt, dust and other contaminants that over time will cloud or hide the true color of the finish. In fact, over time, I would propose their finish will gray, to some degree. At least this is what I have seen happen to white paint and if it is happening to white paint it is happening to all paint because dirt is not selective.

On the other hand, a product with just a sleight cleaning ability will remove this dirt, dust and contaminant accumulation, continually creating a totally clear finish which in my experience, the clearest finishes are the most beautiful finishes.

If layering of an automotive protection product is truly possible, then I`m not sure as to how many people this would be a benefit to if they drive their cars on a daily basis, and at least some time goes by, before they wash and apply subsequent applications of their choice of protective products that offer no cleaning ability.

This is why Meguiar’s has always offered dedicated paint cleaners, and dedicated cleaner/polishes. These products are formulated to first clean the paint so that a pure protection type product can be applied without the fear of coating over and sealing in dirt. Some of Meguiar’s dedicated paint cleaners are so gentle in fact that many people cannot distinguish them from a pure polish with no cleaning ability. Deep Crystal Step-1 Paint Cleaner is a good example of a gentle paint cleaner that some people cannot distinguish from a pure polish such as the Deep Crystal Step 2 Polish. That is because it is a very, very gentle paint cleaner.

As far as Mold Release waxes go, after molds are coated with multiple coatings, they are usually put into production mode, and typically are never exposed to the environment unprotected, or uncovered. Therefore they never accumulate dirt.

After a certain number of pulls, or releases, the molds are usually either re-coated with the mold release wax, or the mold surfaces are stripped clean, sometimes compounded and polished and the mold release coatings are re-applied.

When a mold is going to be removed from production, and it cannot be adequately covered to protect it from accumulating dirt, dust and other contaminants upon the mold surface, then it is often coated with a paste mold release wax such as # 88 Universal Mold Wax as a storage wax.

The purpose of a wax

The whole idea behind applying a protective coating to automotive finishes is to act as a sacrificial barrier-film. This sacrificial barrier-film in essence, sacrifices itself so your paint doesn’t have to. Then you, as the owner, can reapply another coating to replenish the wax that has worn away.

Comments?

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Just spent 7 hrs compounding, polishing, glazing (3M Light Cut, Merzerna IP and 3M PI III MG) a black hood all by rotary. Mirror finish with a few water dimples that are beyond my willingness (skill) to correct but otherwise scratch and swirl-free.

Applied NXT Tech Wax with PC x 2 (1 hr apart). No NXT induced marring and final product looks fantastic. :xyxthumbs

Mike, your explanation and finding fit into what I discovered a couple of years ago when I first dove into paint sealants. Even though the instructions of this excellent product (Zaino) states that 3-5 coats reached the maximum potential of this product the "bandwagoning" of 10`s to 100`s of layer ideology was going strong. I jumped right on with poor results. After about 20 layers with one Z1 application (after 10 layers) the paint hue (black) became grayish eventually after each bout with layering. But I forged on thinking that maybe things would improve after going through this cycle 4 more times I came to the conclusion that my car beaded like all hell but look worst than when I would wax every week or so. Mind you I was doing the same amount of work layering every week. Along came ZFX, which eliminated the Z1, I thought necessity. Again I was wrong. The next 40 coats were just a game of trying to find the post-polish (Prep) appearance. I thought I had 70-80 coats but in reality I was "really" only working with 0-50 coats (Z1 cleaning removed the 1st 20). At this point I Z1`d and rejuvenated some of the clarity but it was still grayish. I spoke to Sal and he was great! He stated his directions were for a reason (4-5) and at least Z1 after 8-10 coats. He did not go into the specific you just did but in retrospect basically he was stating the same thing. Re-did vehicle with even more emphasis on prep and never again applied more then 4 layers without removing (Z1 or polishing (Sal even sent me a pre-production Zaino compatible SMR for testing to emphasize this point (cleansing) and to get some feedback).

Bottomline: Some products do layer but if optimal appearance with protection is one`s goal than there is a point of "decreasing returns" on the appearance side.

What got NXT into so much trouble was the fact that so many people believe that these 2 factors are mutually connected that if durability/protection is increased with layering that appearance follows along in step. Many have spent many months adding layer upon layer of their favorite product and then come NXT to remove this work. Maybe if you stated that NXT is a LSP but one that details (mildly cleans finish without strong abrasives) it would have placed in its proper place as a paint protectant. Many including myself thought NXT was similar to other popular non-abrasive sealants and could be used to pile on. In my case when I try a new product, I start from prep - not piling on since "layering" any product just doesn`t work (for me) on black. The mild cleansing actions of NXT should have been expounded on and even praised for this ability, that multiple coats (layerablity) was for complete coverage, which adds to increased protection and why Megiuar`s choose the route verses the pitfalls inherited with multiple layering. Life would have been a lot easier.

Maybe there`s a method to your method.

JMHO

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, you brought up some very valid points, but lets put it to the NXT product specifically.

1. NXT has specialized abrasives, these are cleaning the paint and removing contaminents.

2. These cleaners are put in there to remove dust, dirt, and other contaminents between layering, should the person want to add levels.

3. There is no finite measure as to how many levels, nor when leveling tops out and becomes waste more than a benefit.

But my simple question remains, does NXT strip its previous level and thus the original benefit and protection it offered because of these included (unharmful) abrasives. ( I prefer the word cleaners, as they seem chemical in nature )

And simply .... does NXT Spray Wax contain the same "specialized abrasives" or "cleaners", or was it designed differently to enhance and benefit the original layer of Tech Wax by specifically not containing the chemicals that could/would/ and appear to do so when layering.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, you brought up some very valid points, but lets put it to the NXT product specifically.

... does NXT Spray Wax contain the same "specialized abrasives" or "cleaners", or was it designed differently to enhance and benefit the original layer of Tech Wax by specifically not containing the chemicals that could/would/ and appear to do so when layering.

Think he answered the first 3 but I am very intersted in the last one. Why? Because if the "booster wax" strips the NXT Tech Wax sealant I am theorically only protected by the `Spray" wax. Hopefully, the Booster wax just fills in gaps of protection created by normally deterioration of any protectant and rejuveniates the existing coat(s) to that "just waxed" appearance.

Post Thanks / Like
    For me, pages 2, 3, and part of 4 represent why these sort of discussions have grown so frustrating and tiring. The thread was started to inquire about the "specialized cleaners" that are in NXT - which, I would like to remind everyone was previously represented as having "none, nada, zip, no cleaning action," (but that`s an argument best saved for another episode) and has since migrated into a massive hypothesis about diminishing returns, mold release waxes, layering theory, and so on.

But, in the interest of learning as much as possible from the information and ideas presented in the thread, I have some questions that I`d like to gain insight from...

Originally posted by Mike Phillips

I know that layering is possible at least to the degree of creating a layer with a uniform density.

I think that layering is possible if by layering you mean increasing the thickness of a layer of product, at least to some degree.

But I believe that at some point, the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

Ok, so a product can be layered by creating a uniform layer of product but then again, so long as you aren`t trying to build a film thickness. Right? That`s how I interpret those two responses... which would "validate" my previously stated goals of "layering" by improving standard deviation.

The law of diminishing returns as it relates to layering,

A surface, such as an automotive paint, can only hold so much product before all you’re doing is removing all subsequent coatings applied to the surface.

That is to say, after the first, second and in some cases a third application/coating, any more product applied to the surface is merely removed when you wipe the excess off after waiting for the product to dry or cure.

I would agree with this, were I using a product that contained some variation of a solvent or an abrasive. However, if I`m using a product with very low solvent (like well under 10%) or if the product has no abrasives then I should be able to apply a few layers without too much product being removed right? Ever frost a cake? It`s possible to add layers of frosting to build-up a noticeable thickness, right? Same with painting a wall, house, car, etc., right?

At this point you’ve reached a plateau, (or limit), as to how much wax, (natural or synthetic) a surface can hold. Once you reach this plateau, all further applications of wax simply become excess that will be removed (and thus wasted), during wipe-off because it has nowhere to attach and layer.

Agree, as long as we`re talking about products with solvents or abrasives (mechanical or chemical). See point from above.

Of course, this all depends upon your definition of the word “Layerâ€.

<snip for brevity>

For example, you can add multiple layers of layerable waxes until the limit to how much a given surface of an automotive paint can hold before each additional application is simply removed, or replaces a previously applied layer.

This is the 3rd time this point has been made...

You cannot layer to the point of developing a measurable film-build without negatively affecting, or diminishing to some degree, the shine, optical clarity, gloss, reflectivity, depth of color etc. This is especially true if the product you’re applying is not clear (in and of itself) to start with.

I totally agree, and had always wondered how/why people would apply 50+ layers of a product to a car. But I can see why it happens because it`s inherent to most people to think "if a little of this is good, then a lot of it has to be better!"

Detailing (especially "enthusiast detailing") can cause people to go to extremes, both in example and in practice. I think that the whole layering practice and present discussion has been taking to the extreme - we`re not talking about 100`s of layers, but rather 2 or 3 consecutive layers to ensure coverage and a uniform level of standard deviation.

Perhaps the idea of layering was inflated to such an extreme as to diffuse the NXT layering debate - you know, in an attempt to make the simple idea of even layering seem so preposterous that any further discussion would be an exercise in ludicrousness.

If your definition of the word "layer" means,

Layer 1: To continually build a greater level of protection with each additional application, or layer, of a wax or protectant. (Natural or synthetic)

Layer 2: To continually increase shine, optical clarity, gloss, reflectivity, depth of color without end and/or after a plateau, or point of maximum potential has been achieved.

Then no, you cannot layer a wax, synthetic, natural, or otherwise.

Wait. I thought earlier it was said that you could layer products to ensure more even coverage and to build a "uniform thickness." Now it`s not possible, regardless of the product used? It`s no wonder everyone`s so confused about the subject - it`s a "yes/no/yes/maybe/no/yes/no" answer...

I know Meguiar`s recommends multiple coats of both our new Velocity Mold Sealer and mold Release <snip for brevity>

We`re not talking about mold release waxes, which are a completely different animal than automotive wax...

When it comes to automotive finishes however, I think there is a trade-off when looking for a product that layers and a product that doesn`t.

If a product truly layers, as in it builds up a thickness, then it would in essence be doing what is expected, and hoped for, by the coating of paint. That is it would deposit a coating that protects the paint which is of course the goal.

Wait. Now we`re incorporating several different goals into a single idea/theory. Depositing a coating is not necessarily the same as "layering." I deposit some type of protection (hopefully) with a single coat of a product. Layering means to apply multiple coatings, right?

But, if a product truly does layer, then it is vitally important that the surface be absolutely clean with each application or you would risk sealing, or locking in dirt, dust and other above and below surface contaminants.

So, is it recommended that people wash, clay, clean, polish, glaze and wax every 5-8 weeks? I mean, seriously, not many products last more than 5-8 weeks, and if we can`t apply a product over an existing "coating" of protection for fear of trapping dirt in the underlying layers, then what other choice do we have?

This would be easy to control as long as the car in question was/is never exposed to the outside world. However, once the car is exposed to the outside world, then we lose this tight control over insuring a dust, dirt and contaminant free surface.

To wash, or quick detail the vehicle doesn`t insure the finish is completely free from dirt, dust and contaminants as these things, in microscopic form, can penetrate and imbed into the matrix of the wax coating and also in the pores and microscopic surface imperfections of the paint.

<snip/edit for brevity>

If on the other hand, it is always garage kept, then perhaps it`s possible to not coat over and seal in dirt, dust and other unwanted contaminants.

I don`t know about other people`s garages, but mine isn`t exactly sterile. So, does that mean that while I`m waxing my car, I`m still trapping harmful dirt and dust between the paint (sorry, clear) and the wax? I`d assume the answer has to be "yes" in which case I`d propose aren`t we undermining the whole practice of detailing our cars then? I mean, unless we`re in a clean room environment, we`re always going to trap a little dust under the protective coating we`ve just applied... it all seems so futile now doesn`t it?

<snip for brevity>

On the other hand, a product with just a sleight cleaning ability will remove this dirt, dust and contaminant accumulation, continually creating a totally clear finish which in my experience, the clearest finishes are the most beautiful finishes.

Ok, now we`re at the heart of the discussion. The cleaning ability should be strong enough to remove any debris, but not remove any of the underlying protection. How is this possible? Those have to be some mighty smart cleaners in order for them to distinguish between dirt and protection. But wait, if the dirt is embedded in the protective matrix, how can the cleaner remove just the dirt?

So it sounds to me that NXT might now be more of a 1-step product because its "cleaners" are able to remove the dirt and debris, right? Then how is it a true last step product? I`m extremely confused...

<snip for brevity>

This is why Meguiar’s has always offered dedicated paint cleaners, and dedicated cleaner/polishes. These products are formulated to first clean the paint so that a pure protection type product can be applied without the fear of coating over and sealing in dirt. <snip>

So again, just so I`m clear - after 5-8 weeks, we should all wash, clay, clean, polish, glaze and re-wax? Seems to me like that`s (a) an awful lot of work, and (b) a little hard on the car`s finish - all that cleaning and exfoliating.

As far as Mold Release waxes go
    <snip - more mold release talk...>

The purpose of a wax

The whole idea behind applying a protective coating to automotive finishes is to act as a sacrificial barrier-film. This sacrificial barrier-film in essence, sacrifices itself so your paint doesn’t have to. Then you, as the owner, can reapply another coating to replenish the wax that has worn away.

Here you`ve said that you can replenish the wax that has worn away... but what about the graying? The embedded debris? We`ll either need to use a 1-step product or a protectant that has some significant cleaners in it, or we need to go through the whole detailing process... or am I incorrect?

I agree that wax is a sacrificial-film barrier, and that it`s not meant to be layered indefinitely. But I think the true question/heart of this discussion was (and still should be): Is it possible to "layer" a few coats of NXT to ensure total coverage and the best level of standard deviation.

From what I`ve read, the answer is no. Which then, to me, does not make it a true "last step product."

Whew... my keyboard is smoking. But I think I managed to keep the discussion on track and relevant to the initial question(s). Sorry for the mini-novel.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,

I have a class today, but I`ll try to answer as many of the questions posted here as I can if everyone can just hang in there.

Class is over around 3:00pm to 7:00pm, (I always stick around as long as anyone wants to work on their car), and then I have to clean up etc.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    With all this discussion centering around "removes all of the previous product" OR "removes none of the previous product", I`d like to say that there`s another possibility: "Removes less than it adds". It`s possible that a second coat of a product could remove, say, 30% of a previous application, but RETURN 70% more. If I were to guess based on my experience, that is what I would say products like NXT and NXT Spray do.

BlackZ28, my experience with the booster wax is that it, too, contains cleaners.

Tom

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information