I’m sad to say it, but I really think Click N Brags (i.e. where people display their details on-line) have lost their effectiveness. Not just on Autopia, but on all forums. I remember the days where good detail displays would receive several 1000 views and multiple pages of replies right off the bat. Now a days, you’re lucky to break a 1000-1500 total views which is a fraction of what it used to be. Some barely even get 5 replies. It seems like the early Todd Helme, ScottWax, RickRack & Thomas Dekany (to name a few) threads that would make people read and re-read them over and over ingesting every picture and word are a thing of the past. And let’s not even forget the godfather of the exotic Click N Brag 01bluecls who basically invented the hardcore before & after DLSR picture threads that still today are even unrivaled by most. Do a search for yourself and see what I mean. And that was done back in 05-06 days.

If I had to give an answer for this downward spiraling, I would most likely attribute it to the overwhelming concentration of threads that are exhibited on every car forum on the net. Everywhere you look people are posting their threads like it’s graffiti on the subway. I really think viewers have become numb to it. If you posted a swirled up exotic back in the day it was like visual gold. Now, you’re just another detailer showing yet another detail on a car that probably most of us can’t even afford to own anyways. There are very few exceptions to this from people that have continually risen the bar of quality beyond the blasé bla that we have going on right now. I would categorize these people to be Todd Helme with his mind blowing paint graphs and multi-100 million dollar car collection write ups, Paul Dalton for his incredible videos from all over the world displaying his spare no expense attitude and even newcomer Marc Harris with his incredible explanations and professionally photographed pictures. Beyond that, it’s kinda just the same ole thing, but just with a different car. I remember it would be a rarity back in the day to have a mechanical description of the car being displayed including the ever so sheik description of the car’s color (usually Italian). Now, everyone is throwing their ring into the circle with the same thing. It’s really getting old IMHO.

Case in point: In case many aren’t aware, I have received most all of my recent detail business from forums. Either by clients that find me on Autopia or from other people that know me from Autopia and refer me work. And I don’t even have a website or do many Click N Brags either. I actually haven’t done one in quite a long time. I just try building my exposure by posting information. Now I’m not saying that that is the end all be all of getting your work, but I think it certainly can help build to your online resume and profile. The more your name is seen associated with something either helpful or different, the more people will remember you. And all at the same time helping advance the detailing industry forward!

Many I know spend hours taking the pictures of the right shot, editing and uploading them to a hosting site, creating the semi-descriptive article, linking the pictures and posting the thread. And to put the icing on the cake they fail to reply to people giving them prasie in the thread or just by simply just saying a quick thanks and exiting. For crying out loud display some sort of professional etiquette and reply to people in your threads. They are the ones that have taken the time to read your hard work just to give you praise out of courtesy. To ignore your potential and current fans just buries your grave at a faster rate. Heck, we even have a Like system integrated into the forum. You could even go a step further and Like what someone has said to you too. You don’t even have to type anything out for that one. Bottom line, it’s the act of the response that shows your respect and thanks.

Am I the only one that feels this way? And if so, who is asking themselves how we can do something that will make us different then the next person? I think this is actually doing the on-line detailing community an injustice as the ones that might be trying to help this profession, might just be throwing another stone on the pile aiming it in the opposite direction. My suggestion to stopping this decline would be to do something different. Instead of this cookie cutter show n shine application, why not try doing a product write up or even an in-depth article on a workflow or process that makes what you do special. Or even an article on an all time favorite product you love using in your arsenal. Or heck with today’s hi-tech smart camera phones, why not post up an interesting video like what Garry Dean has fully embraced with incredible success? :2thumbs: (congrats on your 100th You-Tube video btw ) I would urge you to do something different and break the chains of mediocre. Thanks for reading!