Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Have Click N Brags "Jumped the Shark"???????

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    I thought Id bump this EPIC thread after looking at the CnBs and noticed that not much is going on there these days? Whats it take for 1 to really pop some attention? ( . )( . ) ?
    My guess? Something a little different. And I dont mean an exotic car.

As a side note, its a lot of freaking work! Im still intending to do one on a 67 VW bug, but just sorting through 200+ pics is work in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    Beats me. Videos dont seem to do it. Good thing I do them for my own entertainment.
    But rumor has it, the right kind of video can get you cookies. LOL

Videos, too, are a lot of work. I did one and spent a couple of hours doing the "voice over" for it.
    Likes mjlinane liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like back a few years ago there was a lot of bruised egos floating around. Im glad Autopia is a better place now.
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Read back through this thread a bit.

Agree that I dont like "Click & Brag" as much as the old "Detailers Showcase".

I get that pros dont necessarily like sharing their process or techniques. In other industries, things like that are treated as "Trade Secrets" and are kept very close to the vest. To me, this is where we (forum members) should laud those who do and, if we successfully pick up something, give credit to them. I am a big believer in that. However, if you were privately given something by a pro, that should also be kept in confidence unless otherwise given permission. This is also where folks like Mike P on AGO, Ray and Paul here do a service by educating us. Their role is to promote detailing which helps their main business: selling detailing products. Pros who dont share their processes or techniques a totally entitled to not do so and we (forum members) shouldnt begrudge them that right. They invested the time and sweat equity to develop them and they are theirs. No one else is entitled to it unless they choose to give it. As for myself, sometimes I share. Other times not. Depends on mood. But I also very much have the attitude expressed here: How Mike washes a car -- Why on earth would anyone care how a neurotic, obsessive-compulsive, fat guy does any of what I do? Happy to answer if asked but dont feel any driving need to say much about it unless I think it is interesting.

I personally like C&B posts and encourage others to folks to post them. When I started in earnest, I pored over them to see what was possible - and then go figure out how I could do similarly. TBH - I dont really care HOW they did it. I may or may not have access to the same products and my technique is definitely my technique & not theirs and I may or may not get similar results even if I used the same products.

Cooking is a great analog. Different people following the same recipe dont always create the exact same tasting food.

But you can learn from them. If it isnt obvious, I really like detailing videos - specifically Paul Daltons (Miracle Detail), Serge (Ride & Shine Custom Detailing) and Garry Dean. I have learned a lot by watching them. From Paul, Ive learned a lot about lighting to make the cars look even better for videos. Serge sometimes talks about his processes - a couple of which I have adopted. I love Garry Deans innovative techniques.

Watch. Experiment. Learn.

As to the main question originally set in this thread, as noted above, I dont know what gets folks to click. I dont work on exotics (yet) so no initial draw. Am a nobody so that gets me no clicks. For my lowly C&Bs, seems only if a discussion get started on something new Ive tried (product, tool or technique) does it generate traffic. For those who dont click, it is your loss.

I make videos because I like videos, my clients like them, prospective clients seem to like them. If forum members like them, so much the better. If, like on AGO, folks dont even look at them, Ill stop posting them. Ill keep making them, though.
    Likes David Fermani, JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post

I get that pros dont necessarily like sharing their process or techniques. In other industries, things like that are treated as "Trade Secrets" and are kept very close to the vest.
    Good point. I can totally respect if someone wants to keep things private, but after all this segment of the detailing trade isnt rocket science. Actually the aspect of how you grow and run your business to be successful is much more trying. Most people with a realistic amount of experience should be able to get from point A to point B (withing reason) by figuring it out on their own. What sticks out in my memory banks is back when people who made the greatest write ups actually posted every single thing they did to the vehicle. Products, pad, amount of passes, primed or not primed, amount of alcohol wipe downs at what percent, etc... Reading their threads were almost like an instruction manual to how they detailed the car. But, that didnt mean that if you did the same thing to the same kind of car that the results would turn out the same. After all, those differences cannot be taught/copied and they really differentiate a wanna be from a real pro. I think it did become diluted as everyone began to show off their high end/exotic car details, but the ones that really stick (still) are the ones that are most detailed and unique.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!
    Likes JustJesus, mjlinane liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    Good point. I can totally respect if someone wants to keep things private, but after all this segment of the detailing trade isnt rocket science. Actually the aspect of how you grow and run your business to be successful is much more trying. Most people with a realistic amount of experience should be able to get from point A to point B (withing reason) by figuring it out on their own. What sticks out in my memory banks is back when people who made the greatest write ups actually posted every single thing they did to the vehicle. Products, pad, amount of passes, primed or not primed, amount of alcohol wipe downs at what percent, etc... Reading their threads were almost like an instruction manual to how they detailed the car. But, that didnt mean that if you did the same thing to the same kind of car that the results would turn out the same. After all, those differences cannot be taught/copied and they really differentiate a wanna be from a real pro. I think it did become diluted as everyone began to show off their high end/exotic car details, but the ones that really stick (still) are the ones that are most detailed and unique.
    Exactly!

1. Detailing isnt rocket science.
    2. Too many variables (paint, temp, humidity, etc.) for a set recipe to work universally. Watch what the products, pads, polisher, etc are doing to the paint. Like it? Keep going. Dont? Do something else.

Post Thanks / Like

i started reading this thread from the start, still need a ways to go. I see what both you (David) and mjlilane are saying. And I applaud mjlilane for his continuing of making his videos. He does them cuz he likes it. Having done a few, and having those few have limited views, makes me not want to post. But like him, Ill keep making them. And if people run into them on the Tube, cool. And if those people post questions, Ill answer them. As of now, I always have. Ive also always (I think) said "thanks" for those comments that say "good work" and such.

Myself, I like seeing threads where they are, indeed, detailed outlines of what happened. The process involved. Any problems encountered and the solutions. If people have secrets, thats cool. Me, I dont. But I can respect peoples wishes and their privacy.

David had some thread some time back about interior detailing. I dont know how many times Ive went through that one! Some of them are just great resources, and I refer to them often.
    Likes mjlinane liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You are correct. Many people complain that you never see a daily driver detailed to perfection, or almost perfection. Most of us never see, much less own a Ferrari or RR. It seems most pros would never show a daily driver detailed due to all the stone chips and things that just can`t be removed, and they probably feel it would reflect badly on them. I`d rather see an honest detail on a daily driver any time, as opposed to cars we never see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad B View Post
    I think part of being different would be to focus more on specific challenges of the detail rather than only an overall description. Describe a particular correction/repair/fix and what techniques/tools and products were used to perfect it. This would be an interesting learning tool.

Let`s face it, just seeing glory shots of a finished job is ok, and wash-n-buffs done on brand new cars is nice, but I certainly get more interested in really tough issues that challenge the detailer. Pro or not.

Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Have Click N Brags "Jumped the Shark"???????

i love doing dd as they push me mentally to what I can or can`t do. It also can have the most rewarding feeling and results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Civicclutch View Post
    i love doing dd as they push me mentally to what I can or can`t do. It also can have the most rewarding feeling and results.
    Those are about the only details I ever check out/C&B that interest me. It`s not a matter of what vehicles I`m interested in/can afford/like/etc., just the only kind of *detailing* that I usually find interesting.
    Likes Clk430benz liked this post

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617

Thread Information