Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Not trying to derail the thread here. With the mention of actually contacting a detailer for advise brought to my mind that many times members of various forums have posted questions about either products or techniques. I have offered numerous times to let them come by and try out a machine or product before making a purchase for something thats below their expectations. As of today not one member has taken me up on a offer. Would you think this is because of my lack of standing in the detailing community or people being dubious of the offer ? I personally think it`s a shame since there is so much to be learned by networking among those of us that are like-minded. I know that I have personally traveled all over the state and as far as Dallas to take advantage of such offers to me. I have always tried to treat others as I would care to be treated. So am I crazy or ? ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod66paul
    Not trying to derail the thread here. With the mention of actually contacting a detailer for advise brought to my mind that many times members of various forums have posted questions about either products or techniques. I have offered numerous times to let them come by and try out a machine or product before making a purchase for something thats below their expectations. As of today not one member has taken me up on a offer. Would you think this is because of my lack of standing in the detailing community or people being dubious of the offer ? I personally think it`s a shame since there is so much to be learned by networking among those of us that are like-minded. I know that I have personally traveled all over the state and as far as Dallas to take advantage of such offers to me. I have always tried to treat others as I would care to be treated. So am I crazy or ? ?

You`re not crazy, but to be realistic, there are those who cannot afford to travel long distances out of state or take the time off in order to do so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGonz
    You`re not crazy, but to be realistic, there are those who cannot afford to travel long distances out of state or take the time off in order to do so.
    Understood and thanks for the thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gmblack3
    Oh yes, the good ole days. I miss doing the live videos too. They where at time challenging, trying to answer questions and keeping the R/O moving. .

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod66paul
    Interesting. Tell us more.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...ia-yes-no.html
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. I remember some live demo threads on TID that impressed me .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto Concierge

When I started there was no "Detailing forum" or guy to call(As I am for many and it would be nice if some of the guys I help all the time would chime in on that particular point about now).....where is the desire to learn and do research on your own?, pony up and go to SEMA like I do every year and speak with the paint companies and detailing product companies to see what is new and verify claims. How about getting in the garage for some personal R&D and play with the products? instead of being a "Point & click weenie? and how many of you who are not pro`swould be fine with me calling you at your job and asking dozens of questions about your job? with no compensation to boot................ as I charge a certain rate per hour to my clients what is the difference here??.

I agree with Bob, I did a lot of reading before even considering buy a product. Then I would find what technique works for me by trying it out on my car, before using it on customers. I just can`t go by what Bob or others said..

for example Bob is a big man vs me little man, when Bob said light pressure on DA polisher ( his arm is about 2X bigger than mine) so If I go by what Bob said, I wouldn`t get the same results....+ his location is warmer than my location... so product may react differently....

My point is read up on detailing, advance on you just learn, and be a leader.... think outside the box

BTW every thread I ever posted always end with " any comments or questions are welcome " so fire away if you do

Post Thanks / Like
    does that mean you checked out my latest detail????? It is a DD.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Ya know..I`m actually more likely to check out C&Bs about daily drivers as opposed to exotics. I`m a *huge* fan of beater-car details!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OverTimeDetail
    I agree with Bob, I did a lot of reading before even considering buy a product. Then I would find what technique works for me by trying it out on my car, before using it on customers. I just can`t go by what Bob or others said..

for example Bob is a big man vs me little man, when Bob said light pressure on DA polisher ( his arm is about 2X bigger than mine) so If I go by what Bob said, I wouldn`t get the same results....+ his location is warmer than my location... so product may react differently....

My point is read up on detailing, advance on you just learn, and be a leader.... think outside the box

BTW every thread I ever posted always end with " any comments or questions are welcome " so fire away if you do

I`m an enthusiast and helped some in our local forum. I wouldn`t remember half of what I`ve read if not for the learning process like OTD`s up there ^^. This also helps recall info of similar, relevant, useful products I didn`t even use. Even the duds have a place in my memory.

I really appreciate C&Bs narrated with product and process, and check light shots

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush-Mouth
    Unless all of you got together to plan the ad, it came down to being chosen.

What I don`t like is it getting publicized here and a bunch of people congradulate your group out of respect and only one person has the decency to acknowledge it. I`m sorry, but I was raised to gives thanks when people give me props. For your group to spend the money on this ad and not pay credit where credit is due does not sit well for me. Is it that hard to just say thanks?

I wonder if people think that the OP for a C&B should acknowledge all comments.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush-Mouth
    Unless all of you got together to plan the ad, it came down to being chosen.

What I don`t like is it getting publicized here and a bunch of people congradulate your group out of respect and only one person has the decency to acknowledge it. I`m sorry, but I was raised to gives thanks when people give me props. For your group to spend the money on this ad and not pay credit where credit is due does not sit well for me. Is it that hard to just say thanks?

Chosen by whom??, it was networking amongst several guys who thought it would be better exposure for our business goals. When you assume facts not in evidence and then when that someone (Moi) who clarifies what/who/where and you still assume other traits(Arrogance/ungratefulness) because all of us in the collective add did not post a three paragraph "Thank you all" is not our/my problem as some of us do post when we can but also are "Busy" running our services.

How this thread about click & brags turned into "Bob Willis and the other guys in the add did not acknowledge my comment" shows exactly where you are coming from and are bent for what reason I can only imagine, and do you really get upset when you comment on someones post and they do not acknowledge you??, if that is the case almost every click & brag should have guys upset because they were not thanked.

This stuff boils down to one thing and one thing only, if someone even if there reasons are valid does not share every little thing they do in their business with someone who asks them......that guy is "Arrogant" and thinks he is the "Poo" etc, etc. I have shared and put on the forums common sense tips out there from time to time but this entitlement attitude in the "Computer age" where everything is instant results makes for lazy people who will not take the effort to get off their collective butt and dig out the knowledge they want and/or need.........last time I checked a "Ivy league" education cost quite a bit and are those institutions of higher learning "Arrogant" for not putting that knowledge out for free??, of course not as you want to play you have to pay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Back to the original question, I think it is just saturation.

There are so many C&B`s on so many forums and there is only so much time to look at them all let alone comment on them. There are many many nice write ups and whether the photo`s rep the true work or not who knows but does not matter in regards to DF`s statement as it adds to the volume of unique threads.

I personally think many are too image intensive but if the purpose is to show off work for yourself or a customer then that is all that matters. If the C&B poster is looking for comments/props views then they will have to compete with all the other threads. I do not think segregating posts is right unless someone is willing to pay for that right but each forum owner gets to decide that.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    Forums are free for members to use, and unless a guy is paying for training or advice, he should not be upset if a member chooses not to share his "secrets" with the world.

I enjoy seeing a variety of write-up styles, so whether the pictures are few or plentiful does not always matter. A beginner can post a few pics and paragraphs, and I can just about feel his excitement through the write-up. Other guys are a bit standoffish in their responses, and at times come across as snobbish or busy (and even that seems intentional... the man o` few words type), so I may make a mental note of that, and perhaps not look at his write-ups the next time.

That being said... if there happens to be a ridiculous amount of pics of the swirls, I tend to scroll through the write-up.

I get it- the paint is a mess, and you have a kick-*** camera. Save it for the money shots.

A really good before shot, and a stunning after shot, not 10 & 10 of the same spot!

Admittedly, something has changed in regards to my desire to read the click and brags. I still enjoy a good debate about the mechanics of things, so I look for those threads big-time. Then again, if I was new to this forum, or I wanted to learn more about a specific car, product, technique, or detailer, I would likely read more cnb`s. The fact is, I just can`t spend as much time as I`d like to reading and posting... at least for the last couple of years. I`d like to, as a lot of the write-ups are written by guys I know, guys I respect, guys that purchase from me, and guys that read my posts!

I remember being a bit leery of posting on autopia, and it was not so long ago. I can only imagine the anxiety some guys must feel when they post for the first time, especially on this forum. The thought of riling up a guy, only to have a few of his friends come after you via rapid posts, can stop you from posting in the first place. The thing is, if posts are written respectfully, they generally are received quite well. I mention that it would be especially intimidating here, as autopia seems to be very loosely moderated. This is good if you are an old pro, but may not be so good if you are new to the detailing scene.

Even though this forum is owned by Tunch (3D/UNO), he does not blow a gasket every time we discuss another brand. He does not forbid or eliminate posts, threads, and links. Disallowed links almost always tends to be a deal breaker, and for good reason (site optimization as well as bridges to competitive sites). Heck- if I ever decide to build my own forum, I doubt I`ll even allow links to outside vendors!

Here at autopia, we can pretty much write what we want, so long as it is not an obvious take-over of the site to promote a competing product or brand.

There are many detailing forums vying for posts and threads nowadays. Seems obvious that if you buy from Joe`s Wax Hut, you`ll post on Joe`s Wax Hut Forum. AG and their stable of forums have pulled a lot of guys to their sites, because a lot of guys buy from them. Plus, they are on the cutting-edge of marketing... how-to videos, TV shows, books, et al. Tough to compete with all that!

Then there are smaller forums with loyal members. Live2Detail, Detailing Bliss, and MeguiarsOnline for instance.

Optimum and Mother`s and several other companies have forums, too. Some guys that used to post here now only post there.

How to build this forum.... good question. In the meantime, keep posting those C&B`s!

Post Thanks / Like
    I use to post click and brags as a way to say "see how i"m doing" and now its more for my present or potential clients to see my work in progress and build creditibilty.

I think you leave the C&B alone let it run its course, allow people to do as they choose. This forum as always self regulated by the members and 3D has allowed that even more so.

The time needed to do a proper click and brag is HUGE HUGE HUGE and so I do far fewer now days as I have so many irons in the fire.

I like the idea of a HOW to section where members show their methods/ideas for addressing a problem: Deep extraction of carpets, Cleaning Aniline Leather, Removal of emblems........

Cheers,

GREG
    Reflections Detailing of Utah
    "Detailing for the Discerning owner"
    State of Utahs most experienced detailing detailer
    Meguiars/Ford Detailing team SEMA 2010, 2011

duPont Registry Endorsed Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasdekany
    does that mean you checked out my latest detail????? It is a DD.

I guess not, or you`d have seen some kind of comment on it

Heh heh, I`m guessing that the DD in question was an exotic, huh? Eh, I`m weird when it comes to which vehicles do/don`t interest me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Eh, I`m weird when it comes to which vehicles do/don`t interest me.

Do you know what I have noticed on other fourms? What gets attention are G35s, 335s, S2000s and WRXs. Exotics do too, of course but it seems the mid-priced performance cars that most people can afford or want to buy when they can afford one get the love.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread Information