Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow lol. so i know this is my first post and i don`t want to sound troll`ish, but i`ve been reading this site for several days and this is one of the craziest posts i`ve seen. there`s just so much in here that it`s WAY too hard to decipher what`s what.

now did i expect to just open this post up and see "buy this and this and apply it like this"...no. okay, maybe i was hoping to but of course no deal. i was hoping, though, that i`d be able to get a good idea of what products people were using and how they would affect my vehicle`s leather. i`m not quite sure i care about pH this and that. is it important? of course. but is it something that i want to have to take into account at this point...no.

so that being said...does anyone have any good PRODUCT suggestions on what to use on a newer car (<2k) miles with black leather. it`s a mazda 3. i`ve been using some mcguiars leather cleaner/conditioner combo (i`m sure that`s bad) but i don`t know what else to use. i`m guessing that LM stuff...but i`d like to make sure it`s good to go before i buy it and apply it.

again i`m sorry if this post sounds at all rude...i just want to get down to the nitty gritty without all the science talk. i`ll read about that in another post, but not one labeled "Leather Cleaner Recommend".

so go ahead...Recommend!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Ferrari Man
    holy Shi* I juts read 15 pages of round abouts! I think I will stick to doing what works on a topical scale..(what I can see and feel)

I`m with you there. There`s so much conflicting information and so much BS that it doesn`t really help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JuneBug
    Care to send me a sample Dan?

I would, but I got rid of it real quick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
    I`m with you there. There`s so much conflicting information and so much BS that it doesn`t really help.

Which is the BS?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubcnea
    Wow lol. so i know this is my first post and i don`t want to sound troll`ish, but i`ve been reading this site for several days and this is one of the craziest posts i`ve seen. there`s just so much in here that it`s WAY too hard to decipher what`s what.

now did i expect to just open this post up and see "buy this and this and apply it like this"...no. okay, maybe i was hoping to but of course no deal. i was hoping, though, that i`d be able to get a good idea of what products people were using and how they would affect my vehicle`s leather. i`m not quite sure i care about pH this and that. is it important? of course. but is it something that i want to have to take into account at this point...no.

so that being said...does anyone have any good PRODUCT suggestions on what to use on a newer car (<2k) miles with black leather. it`s a mazda 3. i`ve been using some mcguiars leather cleaner/conditioner combo (i`m sure that`s bad) but i don`t know what else to use. i`m guessing that LM stuff...but i`d like to make sure it`s good to go before i buy it and apply it.

again i`m sorry if this post sounds at all rude...i just want to get down to the nitty gritty without all the science talk. i`ll read about that in another post, but not one labeled "Leather Cleaner Recommend".

so go ahead...Recommend!

I hear you.

I had an 2004 RX-8 for 4 years. I cleaned the leather every 3 to 4 weeks (or tried to anyway) with a cotton cloth dampened with woolite solution (10:1), followed by a cotton cloth dampened with water, followed by a wipe with a dry microfiber towel. After trying a couple different products, I settled on 303 to protect it.

Know I don`t know sh*t about fatliquor or nourishing fibers or anything like that. I do know that those seats looked pretty damn good after 4 years.

FWIW

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Quality Leather
    Which is the BS?

The bit about the pH of water.

Post Thanks / Like
    i`m guessing that LM stuff.
    Leather Masters gets my vote. I use it on my seats and I`m happy with them.
    "Life is not measured by the breathes we take, but by the moments that take our breathes away" :punk:

Post Thanks / Like
    Just my two cents as a non-expert but an owner of two cars with leather seats. I think it would be very helpful for the experts to give their opinions on the following questions:

1. New car with treated leather: How should I clean the leather? How should I maintain the leather?

2. Older car with treated leather that is showing its age (not as supple, some mild wrinkles): How should I attempt to restore the leather?

I think the above two questions probably captures 90% of the population. Honestly, I don`t care to know the "why" unless there is disagreement among the experts. If there is, we can address that disagreement specifically.

We need to give this thread some structure and organization for it to be valuable to anybody.
    Proud owner of a 2016 Lexus GS 350 F Sport in atomic silver.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubcnea

so go ahead...Recommend!

Lexol Cleaner

Lexol Conditioner

Cleaning & Conditioning Leather Upholstery (EVERY 2-3 MONTHS)

SUPPLIES

Lexol-pH Leather Cleaner

Two large washcloths

Lexol Leather Conditioner

Two medium size towels

One bucket luke-warm water (never use hot)

CLEAN WITH LEXOL

Keep this thought in mind: leather is skin. Cleaning and conditioning leather upholstery is very similar to bathing yourself out of a bucket on a camping trip. You need water to do the job, and you need to use the right amount to do the job right.

Wet a washcloth in the bucket of water and wring it out, leaving it as damp as you would if you were going to wash your face with soap and water. .

Put 2 or 3 half-dollar sized spots of Lexol-pH Cleaner on the wet cloth.

Clean one section at a time as follows.

Gently work the solution into a nice lather with a cloth, sponge, or if your leather is heavily soiled use an upholstery (interior detailing) brush.

Don`t forget to clean the stitch lines.

Rinse wash cloth and wipe several times.

Dry the leather with a clean dry towel.

Continue with the whole interior in this fashion: cleaning, rinsing and drying.

CONDITION WITH LEXOL

Start by lightly dampening a clean washcloth so that it doesn`t absorb too much conditioner. (No need to waste a good thing).

Put 2 or 3 half-dollar sized spots of Lexol Conditioner on the wet cloth.

Wipe it onto the leather one section at a time until all leather is conditioned. A little Lexol goes a long way, and multiple coats are better than one heavy application, unless the leather is very hard and dry.

Allowed 20 to 30 minutes to absorb the oils and preservatives.

Use a clean dry towel to vigorously rub down all of the leather surfaces and stitch lines to remove any excess conditioner.

Let dry for 1 to 3 hours depending on temperature and humidity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cleaning and conditioning leather upholstery is very similar to bathing yourself out of a bucket on a camping trip.

Leather is not skin, it is skin that is dead, it has been chemically processed during the tannning process with complex chemicals and processses and then in the case of most auto leather has been covered in paint and a clear coat finish. There is no way that it can react like skin and cannot
    absorb the oils and preservatives
    in `conditioners` even if left for 20 - 30 minutes.

Claims of this sort from chemical suppliers only show their general lack of ignorance about leather and the products they are selling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone but you has a

Quote Originally Posted by judyb
    general lack of ignorance about leather and the products they are selling.

Noted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by judyb
    Leather is not skin, it is skin that is dead, it has been chemically processed during the tannning process with complex chemicals and processses and then in the case of most auto leather has been covered in paint and a clear coat finish. There is no way that it can react like skin and cannot in `conditioners` even if left for 20 - 30 minutes.

Claims of this sort from chemical suppliers only show their general lack of ignorance about leather and the products they are selling.

Are you saying that leather conditioners do nothing? It seems to me from multiple sources that as the leather ages the process which sealed it loses its abilities which is why we clean and then condition it to replenish the moisture.

Are you saying that leather conditioners do nothing?

What is the "correct" process

Post Thanks / Like
    I use to be a Lexol man, but, now the cleaner and conditioner are both sitting in my get rid of quick shelf, there are better products available. Although there are pages of opinions - 17 on this thread alone, I`ll bet that most will agree to drop the Lexol. My personal observations are: the cleaner is waaay too soapy and takes more rinsing than other cleaners, the conditioner stinks and takes multiple wipes to get rid of the tacky feel. Don`t take my word for it, try a few other brands when you get a chance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JuneBug
    I use to be a Lexol man, but, now the cleaner and conditioner are both sitting in my get rid of quick shelf, there are better products available. Although there are pages of opinions - 17 on this thread alone, I`ll bet that most will agree to drop the Lexol. My personal observations are: the cleaner is waaay too soapy and takes more rinsing than other cleaners, the conditioner stinks and takes multiple wipes to get rid of the tacky feel. Don`t take my word for it, try a few other brands when you get a chance.

Junebug

What have you tried and what do you use now. I have black leather in a saturn if it matters

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I`ve tried most of the OTC brands, and Megs, DG, Zaino. I have not and will not pay out the wah-zoo for Leather Masters and simular products.

I use woolite 10:1 for cleaning, now - this is for heavy duty, nasty interiors, if yours is just dusty, then use a damp cloth. For protection - I like Zaino Z10 and the DG equal. Megs has a cleaner-conditioner in their Detailers Line, ADS sells it - and that is good if the leather-vinyl is not too dirty, smells clean too. Best thing you can do is keep it clean, use a vac with a brush attachment to get in the seems at least monthly.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread Information