Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I took Kevin`s suggestion and started using the Surbuf pads (5.5").

These things are truly amazing! When combined with M205 and the DA, you can get some serious correction. I will give details later, but it involves removing wet sanding marks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the post Kevin. I honestly enjoy working with my DA more than my rotary but end up using the rotary almost every time I polish for defect removal. I`ll have to give these pads and process a try. Have you tried this with the new 105 yet? I`m just curious if you still need the Last Touch spritz.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the difference between a PC (porter cable) and a Rotary? Isnt a PC a rotary...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason M
    Thanks for the post Kevin. I honestly enjoy working with my DA more than my rotary but end up using the rotary almost every time I polish for defect removal. I`ll have to give these pads and process a try. Have you tried this with the new 105 yet? I`m just curious if you still need the Last Touch spritz.

No, I haven`t tried it with the new formula of M105. But I`ve used it with several different buffing liquids in the Meguiar`s line, including M86 So1o Cut & Polish Cream, M85 Diamond Cut 2.0 and M83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish with pretty good results. But with the abrasive in M105 the pad really levels well.

The addition of Last Touch is not just to extend the buffing cycle...

It also keeps the fibers from packing with too much of the buffing liquid, and keeps a little lube between the fibers, too.

Since it is actually making things a bit slipperier, the random rotation of the pad can sometimes pick up a few revolutions per second.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgfoxx
    What is the difference between a PC (porter cable) and a Rotary? Isnt a PC a rotary...

A lot of guys refer to the random-orbital polisher as a PC because the Porter Cable Random Orbital Polisher (part numbers 7424, 7335, and 7336). These were among the first machines to be used as a better alternative to the orbital polisher, and a safe alternative to the rotary polisher. They are still among the best available today.

Here are two very good articles about these types of machines.

These are must reads for you (if you wish to learn more about machine polishing):

-DA Polishing Guide by Dave KG

Machine Polishing by Dual Action Polisher - Full Guide - Detailing World

-Rotary Polishing Guide by Dave KG:

Machine Polishing by Rotary Polisher - Full Guide - Detailing World

You can also find lots of great articles here on autopia:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...s-newbies.html

and over at meguiarsonline:

How-To Articles - Car Care Forums: Meguiar`s Online

Post Thanks / Like
    The one I will be using is the 7424, so I guess I`m good to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by slammin86
    I have a friend who started detailing cars a few months back. He always argues with me about the PC that I use and get great results with. Today he went over the edge with this statement.

"You can`t cut scratches or remove swirls with a PC. You can hide them but not remove them."

I told him I was going to post this here and am going to direct him to this link.

Everyone chime in here.

The answer is simple: "Yes you can."

Due to his statement, it would imply he has a lack of skill and/or experience with the PC.

It`s definitely not an efficient method of paint correction but it is possible to a certain extent.
    Devil Pad

Professional Automotive Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone try this method yet?

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the biggest issue that everybody on this thread is missing is the fact that the OP`s friend believes that the PC hides/covers up swirls. I take that to mean that no matter what you can prove through 50/50 photo shots, or even in person, the OP`s friend will remain a non believer because he will continue to mistakenly believe that the marring is being covered up, not removed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iamwaxman
    Anyone try this method yet?

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Single digits and snow = no car buffing for me! I`ll give it a go this spring.

Post Thanks / Like
    I kind of agree with a lot of the posters here.

A PC can be used to remove defects, but it takes a lot more work.

Post Thanks / Like
    The bottom line is that u can`t remove scratches with any orbital sorry ta tell u that bro....
    :usa:buffing::woot2:

Post Thanks / Like
    Marring is removed through abrasion. Abrasion is abrasion no matter what machine (or hand ) moves the abrasive media. People polished stuff just fine for a long, long time before there were electrical polishers of *any* type.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Marring is removed through abrasion. Abrasion is abrasion no matter what machine (or hand ) moves the abrasive media. People polished stuff just fine for a long, long time before there were electrical polishers of *any* type.

That statement nutshells it all for me... Well said. :xyxthumbs

If I am not mistaken, first came the kite and key, then the light bulb (followed by the polishing machine!), and finally the DeLorean powered by 1.21 gigawatts... :spit:

YouTube - Giga-Giga-Watt-Watt

Post Thanks / Like
    I have certainly removed swirls and scratches with a PC and it did not just "hide them". I used 4" orange pads with Menzerna IP and that is more then enough for most swirl/scratch/water spot defects.

There is even a tutorial or description of a DA or PC on this site or another detailing site that falsely says pretty much the same thing as your friend that a DA or PC7424 does not have the power to polish out and correct swirls/scratches on a finish and only hides them with fillers from the polish and then says only a rotary can permanantly correct defects or only a FLEX can perm correct which is not correct. A PC with 6.5 inch white pads and a mild polish most likely won`t make much of a dent on many swirls scratches but with 4 inch orange pads and a polish like IP it is certainly going to remove most swirls and scratches as long as they are not too deep. I have also removed 1500-2000 grit sanding marks with a PC and a compound/IP as well as buffer trails and stubborn water spots. It will take a DA or PC longer to polish then a Rotary and there are some things a rotary can correct that a PC cannot or would have alot of trouble correcting but to say a PC cannot polish out and remove swirls and scratches and only hides them is completely wrong and I have first hand experience as proof. A PC may not get all the defects out of some cars but a rotary most likely would not get many of those deeper scratches out either without wetsanding or would remove to much clear coat to get them out.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information