Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I think a better question then if it can be done is

Why can`t you show him and prove it?

a proper demo is worth way more then a thread on a forum

Post Thanks / Like
    Show your friend my pics.....This is on a Corvette which has a very hard clear coat.I used a PC.

Before

After

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJimZ28
    a proper demo is worth way more then a thread on a forum
    Very true.

And after the demo is complete update this thread with your proof

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a PC, been using it for about half a year now. Before, I think it was ok but now I feel that the polishing with it is just too slow and I feel like ripping off my customers since I charge by the hour. I charge very small but still... It usually takes me a day and a half to do a 2 step polish.

I plan to get a rotary in the near future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is -my- experience with a PC.

I believe that the PC isn`t very efficent and leveling paint. While it `removes` paint the goal isn`t just the removal of paint but also the leveling of the paint. I believe that a PC is more likely to round off the changes in paint height, thus making swirl marks disappear.

I did a test on the amount of clear removed between rotary and pc to remove scratches and the only side that showed any defect return was the pc side.

This doesn`t mean that the PC is bad, it can reduce the appearance of microscratching while still maintaining a thick clear coat. Also it can remove hologramming.

The portercable has limitations, IME.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can cut a tree down with a penknife but is it the best choice:nervous2:

Post Thanks / Like
    I think we are talking about two diferent things here

can a PC remove defects?(what the OP is asking)

YES no doubt about it

is it the best way to remove them, the fastest way

NO

defects can be removed by hand! (ask Scottwax he polished by hand for years)

but it id way too much work for most people

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess my g100 is a freak of nature cause i removed 2000 grit wetsand on the hood of my legend. Took me like 3 applications of M83 with a yellow pad, but I dont have wet sand marks in my hood.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with BigJim, it can remove defects but it is by no means the most efficient or best way to do so.

Good job Smoknfastlegend, thats pretty good to remove 2000 grit marks from your car with a G100, but keep in mind that not every clear coat is not the same or will act the same using your combo. Also some people on autopia don`t look for a solution that would take 3 passes to clear the problem many people here want 1 and done type solutions.
    Boyce Auto Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    I can`t join this discussion to the degree I`d like to just now, but I REALLY want to!

Upon my return from SEMA I`ve got other time consuming things to deal with (including another extended out-of-town gig)...

Good thing this forum has a lot of staying power!

This has the potential to be one of the best threads ever on Autopia if it remains a discussion...

I`ll go on the record as saying this:

Based on my own experiences, a random-orbital can match or outperform a rotary.

That statement applies to final polishing and serious defect removal.

Of course, there`s a bunch of variables to discuss, and therein lies the fun of these discussions!

I will agree that for fast cutting of very heavy defects, a rotary is hard to beat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iamwaxman
    I`ll go on the record as saying this:

Based on my own experiences, a random-orbital can match or outperform a rotary.

That statement applies to final polishing and serious defect removal.

I will agree that for fast cutting of very heavy defects, a rotary is hard to beat.

For clarification - define "serious defect removal" and "very heavy defects" and give us more feedback/senarios on how a RO can "outperform" a rotary.

Quote Originally Posted by smoknfastlegend
    - I guess my g100 is a freak of nature cause i removed 2000 grit wetsand on the hood of my legend. Took me like 3 applications of M83 with a yellow pad, but I dont have wet sand marks in my hood.

The picture you posted doesn`t show much other than a reflection shot. Even if there were defects(even prior to sanding) still there, it wouldn`t have been picked up with that style of shot.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish i had taken shots right after the wetsanding, but that seems to be the only direct hood shot I have taken of my coupe after that. The only thing I can say to back up that image is that prior to polishing, of that hood, I had no reflection, but my word means nothing without a picture.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a difference between "can the pc do something?" and "is it the best at doing it?". Can it remove marring? Yes. Is it the quickest/most efficient way? No.

I have plenty of pics on my site of cars compounded with a PC. Pics aren`t worth crap, so I guess you`ll have to trust me. If anyone wants to see me remove swirls with a PC just grab me a PC, a swirly car, and your video camera.

In case people do believe pics, some cars I did with a PC from a few years ago. (a GTA In Detail a a a )
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been doing this for close to 20 years and I have been known for serious correction and some of the most amazing precise quality finishes. I always strive for 100% optical clarity with no fillers, oils, glazes, silicones, etc. I only use certain select polishes for the abrasive factors.

With that being said as a credibility standpoint for some who do not know me, a PC will NEVER match the power, cut, or precision of a rotary polisher. A pc will give you a safer swirl free finish from a person with no experience. With certain polishes via a pc, they are designed to chemically fill. For a newbie a PC is the perfect choice for safety.

A rotary is not for everyone and it all depends on who is using it to get the full potential.
    Raising The Gloss Bar One Car At a Time!

UNIQUE POLISHING, MA / NH

Ryan Blanchette

Post Thanks / Like
    I definitely agree with that. I just disagree with someone saying you can`t cut with a PC. You can cut with a $10 simoniz orbital. Cut well? Probably not, but cut? Yes.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information