Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: $300 In An Hour

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TH0001
    I have been going back and forth on this thread for a while and here is my opinion.

Anthony, if you still sell OPT, then you are shilling (as the rules explained to me), which is why some people are likely upset. Personally, I don`t care because I respect your opinion and don`t think you are hyping anything. Hype, IMO, is not the message but the way the message is delivered. Also the thread title reads somewhat like an informerical, which can negatively set peoples opinions.

One thing that I have learned (the hard way) is that on the internet you can only type in the lines, but you cannot keep people from reading (stuff that doesn`t exist) between the lines. 90% of human communication is from verbal tonage and body langauge, both of which are non exististant when reading words.

I think that this coating looks promising and thank you for sharing it. I`m sure when David G(who is an absolute gentleman by the way) is ready to release the product, he will have all the questions answered. The problem with this thread is that the answers are not avialable, and thus it looks like hype. However, like I said, you have earned your reputation and I wish people would look at your character before making such harsh judgements.

I see both sides of the coin, but considering every product that I have tried from Optimum (except for the polish which takes too long to fill, let alone correct) has been top notch. Given their proven record in cutting edge technology and your reputation, I choose to believe that this stuff is going to rock. Thanks for your post and taking the heat.

Well thanks Todd for the kind words and also your post and stating it in a level manner.

For the record, I have closed my on-line store. I only sell products to local detailers and even that can`t be consider anything as it`s barely anything because it`s just not something I`m aggressive about.

Let`s get serious

I have been detailing a good number of years. I have always sought to be the best, to reach a high level in my chosen craft. I wanted my name out there, to have respect from my clients and also those within my craft.

I struggled over every little detail of my details. I sought to create perfection. Spending hours polishing panels, sometimes days. I would Q-tip every nook and cranny inside and out. I did this to such a degree that I could never trust anyone else to do the same job. This may sound cocky but it`s not my meaning or intention, it`s just that it`s very difficult to trust someone to do the same level of detailing that I do and perform it with the same passion.

No one really wants to work anymore these days. They want a paycheck but I find little passion for a craft out there among Americas young work force. If I hire someone they see it only as a job, they have nothing personal invested in the job. They did not work their tails off getting the clients, it`s not their literal blood, sweat and tears which built up mine/your business.

Sure I could hire some people but then I would have to deal with all kinds of added headaches like people calling in sick when a huge day has been planned. Theft of clients stuff, them stealing from me and the worst, damage to a vehicle.

So one day, not so long ago, it came to me that I have no passion for this anymore. I`ve done it all, there is no challenge any longer. I see all these young guys come on these forums and talk about how they spend hours doing this and that, they spend oodles of money on all these products and feel satisfied making $150.00 for 12 hours of work. They post pictures up and sit back and wait for others to view and praise their work.

How do I know this? Because I once posted for that reason. I then realized that I was counting more on the accolades of others and their opinions were even more important than making money, hence my family suffered because I spent far too many working hours on a car and not being properly compensated for that work, I charged $300 for a detail and I spent 16 hours doing it. I lost money, I didn`t make any money. This caused a fatal burn out for me and I`m not sure I`ll ever detail like that again. I no longer detail for the passion but now I detail for the profit.

So all you who seek the accolades of others and that`s the sole purpose of your work then be prepared for a rude awakening because those accolades can`t be taken to the bank. They don`t pay bills.

This is the purpose of my use of this coating. I no longer want to work 8 hours for a few hundred bucks when I can work half that time and make the same or perhaps more. Will it work out that way? I have no idea but I`ll never know if I don`t try. I detail now for me and my family, not anyone else.

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Optimum Product Support Chris@Optimum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bwalker25
    Anthony thanks for the update. I dont miss the pre 05 times, I didn`t know about this place then nor did I have a passion for detailing. I want to try it on my wifes car!

FWIW It should be a requirement for everyone to READ the ENTIRE thread before posting a reply. Again thank you Anthony and Integrity

You are welcome and thanks for being courteous!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco
    Well thanks Todd for the kind words and also your post and stating it in a level manner.

For the record, I have closed my on-line store. I only sell products to local detailers and even that can`t be consider anything as it`s barely anything because it`s just not something I`m aggressive about.

It`s such a big post, I am only going to quote the above. I have to say that this post is one of the best written posts I have read in some time.

I have no comment on the rest of this thread, other than to say that I agree that the bickering should end and Autopia should become a friendlier place. Just a minute ago, I had to hop into a thread because some people were giving a n00b a hard time for asking a simple question about Optimum No Rinse. :nixweiss

Optimum Product Support Chris@Optimum's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rydawg
    That was a great post Todd!

Autopia is a much better place...... We all just need to get along professionally let alone personally. I talk to quite a few people here and all are great bunch of people.

I agree:goodjob

Post Thanks / Like
    For any one who is interested. I have been in on the testing since day one.

The product is amazing. In the begining is was a real pain to work with. We have tried

many different application methods during the hot months, bitter cold months and the nice ones in between. It was put on the shelf for six months while Dr. G was busy doing other things. Now it is at the point that it is ready to be resealed.

Part of the testing is seeing how the customer reacts to the product and what people would be willing to pay for it.

At 42 and Anthony 43 years of age you start to look more at working smarter than harder. Both of us have seen it all and done it all with in the detailing industry. We have never had big shops with lots of staff because we don`t want the headaches that go with it. We view this product as doing less and making more doing it. We have the confidence that it is top quality stuff so selling it is easy fo us.

There a lot of cars on the road and people we deal with all have friends who talk and if these people are amazed by the performance of the product they will tell others. Do you really thin you will run out of cars. I don`t think you will. Most people buy a new carevery two to three years and the cycle begins again.

Even if you applied this to your regular customers cars it still is a plus. If your washing them every week or every other week it really makes the job much easier.

I`m slowly getting out of the detailing part of my business and just focusing on paintless dent removal because Detailing is very physical. I will be offering the coating to any and all who want it because it is a money maker I can believe in.

For the pros who feed their family`s and pay the bills 6 days a week doing this you can understand what i`m trying to say. We don`t need a pat on the back just a check.

I`m not very eloquent with my words like others however plain and simple this product works and can make you good money adding it to your services.

Ron Harris

Concours Auto Salon

Authorized Modesta Paint Coatings Applier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Holden_C04
    It`s such a big post, I am only going to quote the above. I have to say that this post is one of the best written posts I have read in some time.

I have no comment on the rest of this thread, other than to say that I agree that the bickering should end and Autopia should become a friendlier place. Just a minute ago, I had to hop into a thread because some people were giving a n00b a hard time for asking a simple question about Optimum No Rinse. :nixweiss

You are a noob, I saw your youtube videos.:getdown

Post Thanks / Like

Let`s get serious

I have been detailing a good number of years. I have always sought to be the best, to reach a high level in my chosen craft. I wanted my name out there, to have respect from my clients and also those within my craft.

I struggled over every little detail of my details. I sought to create perfection. Spending hours polishing panels, sometimes days. I would Q-tip every nook and cranny inside and out. I did this to such a degree that I could never trust anyone else to do the same job. This may sound cocky but it`s not my meaning or intention, it`s just that it`s very difficult to trust someone to do the same level of detailing that I do and perform it with the same passion.

No one really wants to work anymore these days. They want a paycheck but I find little passion for a craft out there among Americas young work force. If I hire someone they see it only as a job, they have nothing personal invested in the job. They did not work their tails off getting the clients, it`s not their literal blood, sweat and tears which built up mine/your business.

Sure I could hire some people but then I would have to deal with all kinds of added headaches like people calling in sick when a huge day has been planned. Theft of clients stuff, them stealing from me and the worst, damage to a vehicle.

So one day, not so long ago, it came to me that I have no passion for this anymore. I`ve done it all, there is no challenge any longer. I see all these young guys come on these forums and talk about how they spend hours doing this and that, they spend oodles of money on all these products and feel satisfied making $150.00 for 12 hours of work. They post pictures up and sit back and wait for others to view and praise their work.

How do I know this? Because I once posted for that reason. I then realized that I was counting more on the accolades of others and their opinions were even more important than making money, hence my family suffered because I spent far too many working hours on a car and not being properly compensated for that work, I charged $300 for a detail and I spent 16 hours doing it. I lost money, I didn`t make any money. This caused a fatal burn out for me and I`m not sure I`ll ever detail like that again. I no longer detail for the passion but now I detail for the profit.

So all you who seek the accolades of others and that`s the sole purpose of your work then be prepared for a rude awakening because those accolades can`t be taken to the bank. They don`t pay bills.

This is the purpose of my use of this coating. I no longer want to work 8 hours for a few hundred bucks when I can work half that time and make the same or perhaps more. Will it work out that way? I have no idea but I`ll never know if I don`t try. I detail now for me and my family, not anyone else.

Anthony

I must have to say Anthony, that this post was as much of the truth as I have ever read on here. Last year I was in the same boat until I went up on my prices. But now I am working 50 times more and really killing myself. Detailing is one thing, but polishing for passion is a very bad disease.

I know exactly what you are talking about.

I wish you all the best of Luck!!!!!
    Raising The Gloss Bar One Car At a Time!

UNIQUE POLISHING, MA / NH

Ryan Blanchette

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OverExposed
    You are a noob, I saw your youtube videos.:getdown

Eight posts? Care to share your expertise with us or are you going to keep that a secret?

Post Thanks / Like
    No, I just observe, no contribution needed, unless you would like more regurgitated information like so many spew on the forums.

.....NooB

Post Thanks / Like
    No, I just observe, no contribution needed, unless you would like more regurgitated information like so many spew on the forums.

.....NooB

It sounds like you may have a short tenure on Autopia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rydawg
    I must have to say Anthony, that this post was as much of the truth as I have ever read on here. Last year I was in the same boat until I went up on my prices. But now I am working 50 times more and really killing myself. Detailing is one thing, but polishing for passion is a very bad disease.

I know exactly what you are talking about.

I wish you all the best of Luck!!!!!

Hey thanks Rydawg, much appreciated.

You do some great work and you`ll only get better and better but if you learn one thing from me always make sure that you make your worth and take care of your health!

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like

And for what, to have a bunch of people who do this once a month tell you what you are doing wrong. The praise is nice, but as you reach the top, people want to tear you down.

Doesn`t sound cocky to me. I am in the same boat. Stress over everything, it is almost like an addiction. Ryan, Brian (vasupershine), and myself know what it is like to polish a panel for days, but most people (even on this forum) will never understand the difference. I mean a PC and some polish will fill everything in nicely, and that is the advantage of doing this on the side, they don`t have frequent follow ups and will never know....

Amen brother Anthony.

That is what makes high end detailing so difficult and why it is so easy to burn out. You are soley responsible, there is no paycheck guarenteed and you cannot count on anybody. For a while a thought I was so clever and good, doing high end cars (and making good money) but the truth is that the smart guys are the ones who own production shops or car washes. It`s not because I am magically better then the next guy, its because the next guy is smarter then I am.

It is almost like dating a girl. Passion and fun, but once the passion fades (it will to a degree) what is left. For me it has changed from passion to OCD, which is better for my clients. Too many times I have spent way too much time doing write-ups and ignoring important things, so some people can judge my work. And the more work you post (that is higher quality and done correctly) the more people look for a reason to hate.

Again I understand what you are saying completely.I am extremely lucky to have a client base that pays for my time so I haven`t "lost" money but again, I cannot help but think that there is a better way then this.

And if they do pay the bills, they still don`t mean much. The respect of your clients is most important.

Anthony"

Best of luck!!!

Preach on brother Anthony. Seriously, I can understand and feel your post to such a degree and glad you posted that. Very nice post (that a lot of people might not understand).

Post Thanks / Like

.....NooB

What`s up here? No, no, don`t reply, Let`s just get these posts removed. No need for this in my thread, there`s enough drama here already.

Post Thanks / Like
    What`s up here? No, no, don`t reply, Let`s just get these posts removed. No need for this in my thread, there`s enough drama here already.

:har::har::har:
    Raising The Gloss Bar One Car At a Time!

UNIQUE POLISHING, MA / NH

Ryan Blanchette

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TH0001

Preach on brother Anthony. Seriously, I can understand and feel your post to such a degree and glad you posted that. Very nice post (that a lot of people might not understand).

Thanks Todd

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread Information