Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: $300 In An Hour

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    That might be asking a bit much, depending on the carwash involved :think:

I was wondering this myself. Would it hold up through repeated touchless car washes? Would it be the ideal touchless carwash coating due to how easily it sheds dirt and water?

Now when they develop a quick and simple way to get around that spot-correction problem, I`ll be all ears. Maybe some sort of solvent that`ll easily wipe away the coating :think:

I`m wondering if something like 3M Adhesive Remover (Xylene-based solvent) would take it off. I`ve used it in the past to completely strip my car of waxes and sealants (while using rubber gloves and a respirator!). I think some auto body shops use it to prep a surface for painting to be sure it`s free of oils and residues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by animes2k
    I was wondering this myself. Would it hold up through repeated touchless car washes? Would it be the ideal touchless carwash coating due to how easily it sheds dirt and water?

As long as you didn`t do a touch-type drying it oughta work well, but once the dirt-shedding starts to drop off even a tiny bit any touching while drying might lead to marring.

I`m wondering if something like 3M Adhesive Remover (Xylene-based solvent) would take it off. I`ve used it in the past to completely strip my car of waxes and sealants (while using rubber gloves and a respirator!). I think some auto body shops use it to prep a surface for painting to be sure it`s free of oils and residues.

I can`t find my fave version of the 3M Adhesive Remover any more! Ticks me off as I found that stuff sooo useful. But anyhow..I don`t think that`d remove the OptiCoat. As I understand it, the product is pretty resistant to such solvents (I sure wouldn`t mind being wrong about that).

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the stuff I`ve got. Haven`t gone through a ton, but it is very useful:

Apparently they still make it:

3M

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the stuff I`ve got...Apparently they still make it..

Huh, my local autobody/paint place said they couldn`t get it any more.

Post Thanks / Like
    That might be asking a bit much, depending on the carwash involved :think:

Because you can easily spot-correct a small area and rewax, whereas correcting a small area that`s been OptiCoated is a more involved process. And some of those durable waxes and sealants are more forgiving of minor flaws. The looks are perhaps too subjective for meaningful discussion, but I`ve used 476S specifically *for* its appearance (and that was on a concours competition car).

No, I`m not slamming OptiCoat (and much less :argue with you!), just pointing out some reasons why it`s not the right LSP for every situation. I used it on a set of wheels, and I expect to find it just fine for that, but I`m already wondering just how I`m gonna polish it away when the time comes to redo them (just enough odd surface contours that polishing, which wouldn`t normally be required given the finish involved, will be a huge PIA).

Now when they develop a quick and simple way to get around that spot-correction problem, I`ll be all ears. Maybe some sort of solvent that`ll easily wipe away the coating :think:

Oh, and Welcome to Autopia! Hope I didn`t come across too negatively responding to your first post here

Haha, no worries - thanks for the welcome, just realized that was my first post here! Been lurking for a fair bit longer though. I do remember reading that you don`t need to completely polish off the coating if you need to re-apply - just abrade the surface with a polish (I believe Hyper-Polish was mentioned) so the new application can stick, and then re-apply. Let me see if I can find the link...

Here it is (see posts 8 and 14 from Chris@Optimum - I hope there aren`t any issues with linking to another forum...):

If you do need to reapply for some reason, just compound and/or polish the panel to scuff/disturb the surface and reapply. We recommend doing a panel edge to edge if a repair is needed and not just spot repairs.

I have successfully re-coated a panel without fully removing the first coat. This would be comparable to scuffing before painting. I haven`t done in depth testing to see what the minimum polishing needed to accomplish this is, but a couple of passes with Hyper Polish and a white pad worked on the vehicle I`m referencing.

Still wouldn`t quite be spot-repairing, but less work than removing the entire coating using a compound/heavy polish. Of course, if a spot has no coating left (due to the need to polish to remove say a deeper scratch), I wonder whether it`d look slightly "patchwork" if you then re-apply to the whole panel this way...

Edit: David mentioned something similar in this post:

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani

Bill - this product sounds perfect for your application. Also, please keep in mind that if you choose to apply a second layer after the primary has cured, you`ll need to "scuff" down the existing coating for the new one to stick. You can do this with something like a finishing polish like 85rd/106/M205.

Also, as you mentioned, perhaps as the technology continues to evolve, additional methods for easier re-application will be found - seems as if we`re still early into the development cycle for these coatings, and it`s likely that there`ll be a lot of movement in this space in the future.

Oh yeah, I have read your 476 story - the one where the "expert" was sure it was Dodo Juice :happy:.

I think David has been bringing the car in his long-term test in for monthly touchless washes (and weekly Dawn ones!) - seems to be holding up pretty well after 16 months in the video he posted (in the thread he linked here).

Post Thanks / Like
    umi000- SO glad I didn`t come across badly!

Yeah, the posts you linked to are in line with what I read at the Optimum Forums. My interpretation was that spot-repairs aren`t feasible and that to make any full-panel repairs Accumulator-proof (as in, maybe "scuffing" will be sufficient, but it`s not a guaranteed approach) you`d need to hit all of the OptiCoated surface with a fairly aggressive product. I might be making a mountain out of a molehill (and different people will see each of those differently ) but it just sounds incompatible with how I go about this stuff. The spot-repairs issue is my main concern, as that`s pretty much all I do any more with regard to anything remotely aggressive.

I was all set to use it on the undercarriage of the S8 until I started thinking about how in the world I`d ever polish all those nooks and crannies when it came time to redo it

Heh heh, believe me...if they got a hard, marring-resistant, durable coating that I could maintain my way, I`d be all for it

As it is, if I were renting/leasing a vehicle the OptiCoat would probably be my choice. And I wouldn`t mind finding some application for this nice big syringe of it that`s just gathering dust! I hardly used any at all for the 4 Tahoe wheels/caps/lug covers.

Oh, and I`m impressed that you remembered my 476S/Dodo story! That was just one of those cases where a particular approach (SRP + 476S) gave a specific look that was just right for a certain car. Heh heh, note all the qualifiers like "particular", "specific", and "certain"!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow....WOW.....what a surprise to see! I was notified by David that he was able to resurrect this classic thread and now upon visiting it I see it really did happen. So a BIG thank you to David, he`s a class act and I consider him a good friend even though we have never meet.

I call it a "classic" thread not because I started it but because it went viral in minutes after posting it as the topic seemed to touch a nerve among the detailing community here at Autopia. I can remember trying to reply to someone one page one and by the time I posted the reply it was already half way through page two! It kept on growing so fast it blew me away.

Then I got that "Your banned" email from DavidB.....lol, my second ban from Autopia in like 2 weeks. That`s old news now but this thread sure took on a life of its own and so happy to see it back again.

SATRACKER - Thank you good sir for your kind words. We like your company at the shop and thanks so much for the surprise Pizza lunch!!

Flash Gordon - Thank you also for your encouraging words regarding that post, very humbling. I still feel the same today as I expressed in that post which is why I do not post up much on any forum. I will perhaps again one day but for now I am just working on creating a business that will grow and in short and truth, create wealth for me, my family, business partner Ron and our employees. "Wealth" though is not always associated with money.

Thanks all,

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    Anthony - after finally finding your shop (not easy for a non-local BTW), I will have to comment that you have a class-act shop! Hope to get down there again and possibly give you something not as boring as all those exotics.

Harry

Post Thanks / Like
    umi000- SO glad I didn`t come across badly!

Yeah, the posts you linked to are in line with what I read at the Optimum Forums. My interpretation was that spot-repairs aren`t feasible and that to make any full-panel repairs Accumulator-proof (as in, maybe "scuffing" will be sufficient, but it`s not a guaranteed approach) you`d need to hit all of the OptiCoated surface with a fairly aggressive product. I might be making a mountain out of a molehill (and different people will see each of those differently ) but it just sounds incompatible with how I go about this stuff. The spot-repairs issue is my main concern, as that`s pretty much all I do any more with regard to anything remotely aggressive.

I was all set to use it on the undercarriage of the S8 until I started thinking about how in the world I`d ever polish all those nooks and crannies when it came time to redo it

Heh heh, believe me...if they got a hard, marring-resistant, durable coating that I could maintain my way, I`d be all for it

As it is, if I were renting/leasing a vehicle the OptiCoat would probably be my choice. And I wouldn`t mind finding some application for this nice big syringe of it that`s just gathering dust! I hardly used any at all for the 4 Tahoe wheels/caps/lug covers.

Oh, and I`m impressed that you remembered my 476S/Dodo story! That was just one of those cases where a particular approach (SRP + 476S) gave a specific look that was just right for a certain car. Heh heh, note all the qualifiers like "particular", "specific", and "certain"!

Yeah, I suppose re-application would be more suited to the one big yearly polish scenario vs spot-repairing - different strokes and all that. I remember reading your posts asking about the undercarriage - man, I am really in awe of the way you take care of your cars :::

The 476/Dodo is a good one - can`t remember if you mentioned it, but did you tell the judge what was really on the car? Love to have seen the reaction :chuckle:

Oh, regarding that nice big syringe, I`m pretty sure I can find a use for it :eyebrows: Shipping would be a bear though :down

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by umi000
    The 476/Dodo is a good one - can`t remember if you mentioned it, but did you tell the judge what was really on the car? Love to have seen the reaction

Nah, I wasn`t there and my pal couldn`t remember what I`d used (guess "Collinite 476S" doesn`t exactly resonate with normal people). He did get Best in Class so he was happy...the whole job only happened because he got it covered with overspray (and scratches) at a pal`s shop and he`d been prepared for a complete repaint.

Oh, regarding that nice big syringe, I`m pretty sure I can find a use for it :eyebrows: Shipping would be a bear though :down

Heh heh...I`m still hopeful that I`ll find uses for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I mentioned this before in other threads, but I have similar concerns as Accumulator and its the reason I haven`t used my OC yet on the painted panels of my cars. It was my initial impression the "official" word was that OC needed to be completely removed before re-application of the product (or application of any other LSP) due to adhesion issues. The latest word from Chris seems to be saying it`s ok to just scuff and re-apply. This is a little more reassuring to me but also a bit confusing. I either misunderstood at first or they are finding out through experimentation that you really don`t need to level the product down to the clear coat.

I still plan to use it for certain tasks (at the very least) but I may end up waiting a bit more before trying it out on the rest of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    In a recent survey that was conducted the results showed that 98.75% of all automobile owners would rather apply 1 product every 5 years, then having to repeat the protection process every 3-6 months

All I see is opportunity with this product. Finally there is a product that I would feel comfortable trying to sell to potential clients, that would compete with what the dealerships are offering up, and be able to do this at a fraction of the cost

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco
    Wow....WOW.....what a surprise to see! I was notified by David that he was able to resurrect this classic thread and now upon visiting it I see it really did happen. So a BIG thank you to David, he`s a class act and I consider him a good friend even though we have never meet.

I call it a "classic" thread not because I started it but because it went viral in minutes after posting it as the topic seemed to touch a nerve among the detailing community here at Autopia. I can remember trying to reply to someone one page one and by the time I posted the reply it was already half way through page two! It kept on growing so fast it blew me away.

Then I got that "Your banned" email from DavidB.....lol, my second ban from Autopia in like 2 weeks. That`s old news now but this thread sure took on a life of its own and so happy to see it back again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kean
    ….makes me wonder what happens to those threads I know existed in the past but I can never seem to find when I scour the forums. It’s a shame good information gets lost and forgotten this way. Thanks for bringing this one back from exile David and thanks to the moderators for realizing its worth. …..and (obviously) thanks to folks like Anthony (and yourself) for sharing these personal experiences in the first place.

You`re welcome! Besides the new administration bringing back old/banned members, they are insistent on allowing anyone & everyone to share their experiences with any product. Be it good or bad. We all know that DavidB had many ulterior motives in respect to sharing info. This thread resurrection is proof that times have changed for the better. Feel free to reach out to me or a Moderator if you have any other ideas about old threads that can`t be found.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great to hear! Good direction!

Post Thanks / Like
    ....thanks David.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread Information