Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax
    Adding some oils to Z5 might reduce durability, but IMO, it would give added depth on darker colors-not a chemist, so I can`t say for sure. I live in a reasonably temperate climate so if the choice is 10% better appearance vs even 50% better durability, I`ll go with looks. If I lived up north, I`d have to rethink that.

Personally, if I`m going to use an oily product I`m going to use it over top of a durable base product. The oils are short lived anyway, they tend to wash away quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t read this whole thread but I`ll throw my $.02 in.

Sal is in business to sell his sealants. Do they work? Absolutely. I`ve never had better durability. I can run through the Zaino process on my cars in the late fall and know that they will stand up to tough Northeast winters. By the time March rolls around, water still beads up great.

I like to use a carnauba in the warm months when the cars are washed often. I`d rather throw it on once a month than deal with mixing Z5/Z2 in the little bottles (those who use ZFX no what I mean) and then having to throw out any product you don`t use(again only if using zfx). Zaino will definitely give you a mirror shine though, but not exactly a "wet" look.

So for me carnauba gets used in the 6 warm months and Zaino gets me through the rest of the year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, I didn`t read the thread, but I knew that is Zaino and Carnauba were both mentioned then it was good for 7+ pages.

Who cares? I like the trade secret oils, I like the look of Zaino. As long as you "know the rules" when you are applying, it doesn`t matter. By rules, I mean expectations--use a product, learn what to expect from it, and use it accordingly to meet your needs/goals.

I would rather we all talk about prep, then everyone could use whatever LSP best-suited their needs, goals, and expectations.

FWIW, yesterday I applied some #7, #26, and then #16 to perfectly prepped paint. Why? Because my customer likes the rich, warm look of the Meguiars TS oils. Today I will apply some Z5 PRO to perfectly prepped paint. Why? Because it fits my customers needs/goals.
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ebpcivicsi
    .. yesterday I applied some #7, #26, and then #16 to perfectly prepped paint. Why? Because my customer likes the rich, warm look of the Meguiars TS oils. Today I will apply some Z5 PRO to perfectly prepped paint. Why? Because it fits my customers needs/goals.

Heh heh, you mean you haven`t converted `em all to Collinite yet

Sorry, couldn`t resist :chuckle:

Post Thanks / Like
    Sal must be doing something right, he owns the competition.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Heh heh, you mean you haven`t converted `em all to Collinite yet

Sorry, couldn`t resist :chuckle:

LOL! We use *plenty* of that as well--no thanks to you! :grinno:
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    Heh heh heh

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Anybody who`s used Collinite, #16, 3M Showcar Paste Wax, or Malm`s Liquid, just to name some that I know about first-hand from use over extended periods, knows that (at least some) carnaubas work a lot better than some people might like us to think.

Collinite 915 lasts like crazy, one car I used it on 6 months ago and just washed again last week, it beaded when I sprayed it with the hose and it came clean with one swipe of a sheepskin after being driven as a daily driver the entire winter (New Jersey salt and everything!!) never garaged.

It would appear, that when making judgments about the durability of carnaubas, most zaino users have never tried a collinite paste.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ebpcivicsi
    Man, I didn`t read the thread, but I knew that is Zaino and Carnauba were both mentioned then it was good for 7+ pages.

Who cares? I like the trade secret oils, I like the look of Zaino. As long as you "know the rules" when you are applying, it doesn`t matter. By rules, I mean expectations--use a product, learn what to expect from it, and use it accordingly to meet your needs/goals.

I would rather we all talk about prep, then everyone could use whatever LSP best-suited their needs, goals, and expectations.

FWIW, yesterday I applied some #7, #26, and then #16 to perfectly prepped paint. Why? Because my customer likes the rich, warm look of the Meguiars TS oils. Today I will apply some Z5 PRO to perfectly prepped paint. Why? Because it fits my customers needs/goals.
    This is the best advice I have ever heard on Autopia yet! You are a true pro!:up
    Raising The Gloss Bar One Car At a Time!

UNIQUE POLISHING, MA / NH

Ryan Blanchette

Post Thanks / Like
    I am learning that too ebp and ryan
    2011 Winter Frost Nissan Maxima SV-Sport

2012 Black Toyota Highlander Limited

Club: Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I just read this whole thread......I can`t believer all the "pro`s" out there that are wanting to use oily products that will only temporarily fill and hide defects which is why Carnauba`s give that "warm" look.

My plan of attack is not in the LSP but in the prep work, once I polish out all the swirls and defects in the paint I need absolutely nothing to enhance the look or make it feel more "warm", at that point, I use what gives the best durability to protect the new finish.

If looks are all that matter, then why aren`t most of us taking the time to polish out all the defects instead of using cheaters to temporarily make it look like something it`s not?

Josh
    Perfection Is In The Details

Rated one of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine! :buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    From reading the article, it seemed to me as if Sal was saying that Carnuaba by itself is hazy and greasy which is why companies add the "snake oils" to give it a warmth and depth that the pure wax itself just doesn`t have.

I`ve seen that little test before and yes it is objective, but it`s also very very ignorant. The tester seems to know nothing about the products he`s using or the way to use them and prep for them as well as he stated that Gold Class is not a Nuba when in fact it is a Nuba based wax.

That whole study is pretty irrelevant as it`s two totally different products designed for two totally different reasons with different results.

Nuba`s will always look better then sythetics and sythetics will always last longer then nuba`s, which is why prep work is the #1 key. Make the paint look perfect first then sythetics will look better then nuba`s and last longer.

Josh

Rated one of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine! :buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshVette
    I just read this whole thread......I can`t believer all the "pro`s" out there that are wanting to use oily products that will only temporarily fill and hide defects which is why Carnauba`s give that "warm" look.

Carnaubas don`t hide defects well. I use carnaubas because especially on solid colors (non metallics), they flat look better than any sealant I have used. At least around here, they also give 3-5 months protection...and protect against bird bombs better than sealants.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshVette

Nuba`s will always look better then sythetics and sythetics will always last longer then nuba`s, which is why prep work is the #1 key. Make the paint look perfect first then sythetics will look better then nuba`s and last longer.

Josh
    In your first sentence you say `nubas will always look better than synthetics. Then, you reverse that logic in your final sentence.

Bottom line is it all comes down to personal preference. On any perfectly polished paint surface, I feel that `nuba will give a "warmer/wetter" look, and that a synthetic will give you a more "mirror" look.

I switch between `nubas and synthetics throughout the year, depending on the season/weather.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreBoostPlease
    In your first sentence you say `nubas will always look better than synthetics. Then, you reverse that logic in your final sentence.

Bottom line is it all comes down to personal preference. On any perfectly polished paint surface, I feel that `nuba will give a "warmer/wetter" look, and that a synthetic will give you a more "mirror" look.

I switch between `nubas and synthetics throughout the year, depending on the season/weather.

I did not contradict myself, I think based on the quote you quoted you could figure out I was refering to a none polished car with a nuba and sythetic, with the nuba looking better as compared to a fully polished and perfected paint with a nuba and sythetic.

But you are also right when it does come down to what a person`s looking for in the finish. My clients don`t ask me if it will look warm and inviting when I`m done, after explaining prep work and it`s importance they know when I`m finished they will have perfect paint that will give them all the characteristics of a warm, wet, mirror perfect shine.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread Information