Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyc
    :werd:

BigJim,

I am definitely of the belief that carnauba while not as long lasting as a sealant protects paint better from the environment and it`s hazards like bird bombs, bug guts, sap, etc.

Personally I say no way to that. What do many use when they want to strip all the wax off their cars? Dawn dish soap. Why does it work? because of the high alkali content. It`s my understand bird poop can also have a high acidic/alkali content which therefor would eat through a carnauba based wax pretty quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bird poop is acidic, not alkaline.

The way natural waxes handle acidic substances is one of it`s many strengths.

Post Thanks / Like
    Carnuaba is the extremely hot girlfriend that all of your friends are jealous about. She is the hot blonde at the pool with the killer body in a bikini. She is also the girlfriend that every guy looks at when you walk into a room. The drawback is that she might not be the brightest girlfriend you have ever had and often wonders why you spend so much time cleaning your car.

Sealant is the girlfriend that is just alright looking. She is going to be really cool to hang out with and she is usually very fun to be with. Also, not every guy in the room is going to be starring at her, so there is a sense of security that she is not going to be running out the back door with another guy.

Personally, I am going with the hot blonde with big **** every time.

But that is just my sexist view on the subject and nothing more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very well said. :chuckle:

Best summary of the carnauba vs sealant debate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fergnation
    Carnuaba is the extremely hot girlfriend that all of your friends are jealous about. She is the hot blonde at the pool with the killer body in a bikini. She is also the girlfriend that every guy looks at when you walk into a room. The drawback is that she might not be the brightest girlfriend you have ever had and often wonders why you spend so much time cleaning your car.

Sealant is the girlfriend that is just alright looking. She is going to be really cool to hang out with and she is usually very fun to be with. Also, not every guy in the room is going to be starring at her, so there is a sense of security that she is not going to be running out the back door with another guy.

Personally, I am going with the hot blonde with big **** every time.

But that is just my sexist view on the subject and nothing more.

:funnypost That is definitely a keeper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyc
    I`d say Sal has a vested interest in making people think that carnauba is a bad product.

+1.

It`s difficult for him to offer a truly objective comparison.

Run what you want !

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh come on now guys! This is a dead horse beating a dead horse... Enough..:hairpull

Just use what you like. You like a sealant fine... You like a wax fine.. Who the hell gives a rats a$$...

Move on to something a bit more current!

Deanski
    DR SHINE
    Swanky Shine (tm)
    What`s in YOUR garage? 997 Carrera S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanski
    Oh come on now guys! This is a dead horse beating a dead horse... Enough..:hairpull

Just use what you like. You like a sealant fine... You like a wax fine.. Who the hell gives a rats a$$...

Move on to something a bit more current!

Deanski

:werd:

If one isn`t taking advantage of both types of products, if nothing more than for variety in appearance once in a while, you are probably missing out on a lot of the fun of this hobby. :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    if nothing more than for variety in appearance once in a while,
    See I have to agree with what Sal has said on this...He states his product is more true in appearance.......Is there any difference? I for one have never been able to distinguish any difference myself....
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    mdx zaino

accord megs

denali zymol

nuff said how I feel :-)
    2011 Winter Frost Nissan Maxima SV-Sport

2012 Black Toyota Highlander Limited

Club: Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselMDX
    mdx zaino

accord megs

denali zymol

nuff said how I feel :-)

It`s obvious you`re brand loyal to your avatar!
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody
    But..[are your good experiences with various waxes]..... due to carnauba content or in spite of carnauba content? I contend that Collinites performance is from something other than carnauba.

Beats me, but those waxes aren`t described as "sealants". The other waxes I`ve had good results with, especially the Malm`s, are probably more along the lines of a "regular carnauba". The #16 sure smells like paraffin and is basically unchanged since the 50`s, so I`d consider it pretty far from a "synthetic". But again, I`m no chemist and I`ll agree I`m sorta lumping the "waxes" I referred to together in the "carnauba" category :nixweiss

Quote Originally Posted by never gone
    Personally I say no way to [waxes being better against environmental hazards]. What do many use when they want to strip all the wax off their cars? Dawn dish soap. Why does it work? because of the high alkali content. It`s my understand bird poop can also have a high acidic/alkali content which therefor would eat through a carnauba based wax pretty quickly.

Noting that *I`ve never used Zaino*, I do use other sealants and find that they definitely *DO NOT* protect as well against bird droppings/bugs when it comes to resistance to etching. It`s not a subtle difference, it`s the difference between just washing/claying the vehicle and having to aggressively polish out etching with abrasives. I`ve left both bird bombs and bug guts on waxed vehicles for extended periods (no, I`m not recommending that!) with no problems, but the stuff that gets on my sealed vehicles etches them if I don`t get it off within a day or two.

Also, I don`t find Dawn to be any more effective at stripping a healthy coat of wax than it is at stripping sealants. Washing #16 (let alone Collinite) with Dawn doesn`t do much of any stripping, at least not at the strength I`ve used, even when *trying* to strip the wax.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanski
    Oh come on now guys! This is a dead horse beating a dead horse... Enough..

Eh, I didn`t think this was some nasty, contentious thread, just a discussion about one vendor`s statements regarding products different from his. I use and like both sealants and waxes, but I think they both have their pros/cons and some of us like discussing those attributes.

Maybe people who haven`t compared the two will find something of value; perhaps they never considered that some "old-fashioned wax" could provide great protection against bird bombs, for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by A.K.A. Patrick
    ...[Sal] states his product is more true in appearance.......Is there any difference? I for one have never been able to distinguish any difference myself....

Some of the *very* few times I`ve ever said "hey, is that [a specific product] on your car?" I had correctly IDed Zaino :think: I sure couldn`t say "is that P21S?" or anything like that, so maybe in some cases it *is* a strikingly different looking LSP :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blkZ28Conv
    If one isn`t taking advantage of both types of products, if nothing more than for variety in appearance once in a while, you are probably missing out on a lot of the fun of this hobby. :wavey

Well said. :up

I will never use just a single LSP on any car, mixing things up a bit keeps it interesting.

And Accumulator is right, Zaino is a very distinct looking LSP. While the look is quite pleasing (to my eye), IMO it *does not* look like a carnauba. That`s why there will always be a place for sealants and waxes in my arsenal. :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Accumulator. You guys arent understanding why I made this thread. It wasnt to argue about which one is better, last longer, or you should only use one or the other. Its about what Sal said about the finish Carnauba leaves behind. How does it differ from Zaino? Sal says Zaino is optically perfect and how Carnauba is hazy and greasy. So does this have any truth to it at all? Will Carnauba actually make the paint appear a different color like he says? Thats what Im wondering. Personally, I havent noticed those things with Carnauba. I see a deeper wetter finish with Carnauba, and more of a mirror like shine with Zaino. I havent used Zaino, but Ive seen it on several cars in person.

Obviously anyone who details knows theres a need for sealants and waxes, so stop bringing that up because thats not the point of the thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW, nuba isn`t opitically clear, and its not necessarily a bad thing (sorry for the spelling). This distoration is what lends to the illusion of depth, and it is all based on light refraction vs. light reflection.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread Information