Page 1 of 13 12345678910111213 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I wanted to touch on a funny subject that makes me roll my eyes every time I hear the argument.

The argument is: "Ooooh it contains a lot of carnauba, so this wax justifies the price".

The reality is: Carnauba wax is around $8/lb. In fact, if you want some to tinker with, I`ll sell you it for that price. Have as much as you want. We have many, many, many 50lb bags of it and you can have as much or as little as you want.

Carnauba content itself does not justify the high price of wax. What *does* justify a high price of wax are the following:

1.) Time to develop the product (Similar to making a new asprin)

2.) If the wax contains solvent, the quality of it. Are they using artists solvent from Target or are they using a solvent that contains 100% aliphatic compounds?

3.) What type of refinement does the raw carnauba go through?

4.) How precise is their cooking and cooling times and measures?

5.) What types of additives are they using, and how have they valued the properties? Are they using the proper level of fluid combinations? What chemical manufacturer produces their additives? Are they getting premium versions?

6.) How important is their guarantee of the wax? Money back guarantee via mail order or see if the Autozone rep will take a return?

7.) How does it *look*?

8.) Where does their carnauba come from? The good stuff comes from Brazil, but Brazil is a big place. Some is better than others. Cheap carnauba can be a combination of whatever is available and hope your bag is mixed with the good stuff from time to time.

9.) How much of the wax content is cheapo wax that wont perform well? (aka non-carnauba wax)

10.) Shelf life. Will it last?

11.) Marketing. This is probably the biggest cost in wax. Call it a limited edition or put a family story into the wax and you can double the price.

To sum it up, the carnauba content only matters to the point of the final products quality.

Here`s some myths:

1.) "Number 1 White Carnauba" is just yellow carnauba -- bleached. Oops.

2.) Auto-wax is always made with #1 carnauba, and it`s always yellow to begin with. There are other colors and grades of carnauba, but none of it is ever used for auto wax. Ever.

3.) Buying a wax that isnt made from "white" carnauba, but of a natural color instead, will not stain a white car yellow -- nor will it change the color of a clear coat. Is your toilet yellow? No, it`s still white. Think how often you spray that! Carnauba naturally deteriorates over time and this natural reduction means it goes away -- it doesnt stay around.

4.) There`s no such thing as limited edition wax. You can always make more of it. Unless the "manufactuer" doesnt like money.

5.) Brand A`s "Wax X" is the best wax on the market. Hogwash. The best wax on the market is the wax that looks the best on your car and has the properties that you wish it to have. There`s no such thing as the best wax, but there *is* such a thing as the best wax for you.

6.) Carnauba weighs twice that of solvent. Is your wax 50% by weight or 50% by volume? Funny how you dont see that disclosed often at all.

7.) Your wax does not last 6 months on a car. Seriously, it doesnt. You`ll be lucky if your wax lasts a month, two at most. Add some durability chemicals and it might still look good for 3. Wax breaks down immediately in the hot sun. It melts at 95(c). Check the temperature of your cars hood (especially if you live in vegas!). The reason you *think* it still looks good 6 months later is because of all the *other* chemicals in the wax that aid in gloss, color, clarity, reflection, scratch filling, and leveling. Additionally, as most everyone quick details a car, almost every QD contains a small amount of carnauba to keep things fresh again.

I post this for no other reason than education. I dont really want to sell you raw carnauba, but if you really do want some why the heck not. There`s just so much misinformation that goes out there, the record can be set straight by educated professionals and consumers knowing the facts. If you learned something, neat, pass it on. Have fun.

-Ben
    Likes upon3, number1show, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post
    Thanks 4u2nvinmtl thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    As always, nice post Ben :up

Post Thanks / Like
    Ben - I`ve always been curious of what would happen if you melted more pure carnauba into a paste wax. I`ve heard a few rumors that it would enhance durability, but after what you`ve said, I doubt that. Is there any advantage to a higher carnauba content?
    Once you buff black, you never go back

Post Thanks / Like
    Guess what...recently after reading about all the claims about white carnauba, carnauba content and so on, I actually email some questions to a wax manufactuer regarding all these questions. You know what answers I`ver got...exactly the same answers what Ben has shared with us here.

For example, a 50% or more carnauba content by volume, actually is only slightly over 30% by weight. And regarding the white carnauba, I was told there is no such thing as white carnauba (as of now), they actually mix the yellow carnauba with some other chemical to make it white.

I think this topic is really educational that gives a better understanding on how carnauba wax is manufacture and the truth behind it. Thank you Ben for such a great posting.

Post Thanks / Like
    great post i learned alot, thanx
    2011 Winter Frost Nissan Maxima SV-Sport

2012 Black Toyota Highlander Limited

Club: Flex Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ben, keep that type of education coming. Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    At the beginning of your "article" you state a price for carnauba wax, making it sound like all `nuba is the same, and other factors determine the price/quality of the finished product, then you say "Where does their carnauba come from? The good stuff comes from Brazil, but Brazil is a big place. Some is better than others. Cheap carnauba can be a combination of whatever is available..."

Or are you saying that you use expensive carnauba and others use cheap carnauba...and here we go again...

Post Thanks / Like
    Setec,

You beat me to it. It is like saying that "coffee costs $2 per lb of beans from Costa Rica". Well some may, but others may cost much much more.
    2005 Black Hummer H2--No More

2006 White Volvo S40

Now proud owner of a brand new 2007 SeaRay 310
    :heelclick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen2
    Guess what...recently after reading about all the claims about white carnauba, carnauba content and so on, I actually email some questions to a wax manufactuer regarding all these questions. You know what answers I`ver got...exactly the same answers what Ben has shared with us here.

Maybe you sent the email to Ben!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy
    At the beginning of your "article" you state a price for carnauba wax, making it sound like all `nuba is the same, and other factors determine the price/quality of the finished product, then you say "Where does their carnauba come from? The good stuff comes from Brazil, but Brazil is a big place. Some is better than others. Cheap carnauba can be a combination of whatever is available..."

Or are you saying that you use expensive carnauba and others use cheap carnauba...and here we go again...

I am pretty sure you are aware that there are different grades of yellow carnauba wax in the market, some are food grade, some for cosmatic use and so on. Ben mentioned that Carnauba wax is around $8/lb, which means some are cheaper and some are more expansive. And I believe Ben did not mentioned that he uses expensive carnauba and others use cheap carnauba. The fact is, there are cheaper yellow carnauba wax around.

Btw sorry to disappoint you , I did not email Ben for the enquiries but someone who at least has more than 10 years experience in manufacturing carnauba wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    they even spray it on apples for petes sake !! - to mak`em look shiny !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Myth #8: Carnuba wax in itself is NOT what produces a shine, contrary to some would lead you to believe. Wax is a dull substance much like candle wax and will not produce any sort of gloss on its own. It is the additives (oils, silicones, etc) that give off the appearance of shine, wetness or depth.
    2003 G35 - protected & perfected with Zaino [Zaino, made for those who refuse to live in a world full of compromises]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by steck
    they even spray it on apples for petes sake !! - to mak`em look shiny !!

I actually have a customer who sells yellow carnauba wax to the food industry for manufacturing chewing gum and he gave me a small pack of yellow carnauba flake to play with, which I have not got the time to do so :p .

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    3.) Buying a wax that isnt made from "white" carnauba, but of a natural color instead, will not stain a white car yellow -- nor will it change the color of a clear coat. Is your toilet yellow? No, it`s still white. Think how often you spray that! Carnauba naturally deteriorates over time and this natural reduction means it goes away -- it doesnt stay around.

clarify this one- what does a toilet have to do with paint?

Page 1 of 13 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread Information