Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow what a weird word to ban! Thanks for the info Ben, really really informative.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lbls1
    ...I am more interested in the process of manufacturing the white wax. I did not see a definition of this process in your sources as of yet. The process (provided in my dated source) describes several methods of producing white wax, one of them including saphonizing (right spelling...a form of soap making), other methods which included heating the compound to high temperatures, and a couple that described adding benzine, and paraffin to the wax to produce the white product. The process isn`t really described as adding a color to produce a wax with a white texture, but more of a adding chemical ingredients to wax solutions at high temperatures to produce a white wax by-product.

According to what I have been told, `white carnauba` is actually a blend of Paraffin wax and #1 Yellow Carnauba.

Post Thanks / Like
    In a nutshell, how can one honestly justify buying Zymol priced at over $1000.00 ??

People "ohh" and "ahh" the work of some people who use this wax when in reality it`s not the $1000.00 wax that makes it so nice looking but the 5 or 10 hours of wet sanding and polishing before any wax is put on.

I dare say that you would see no difference between the $1000.00 wax and an 8oz tub of $16.00 wax on a panel that has been highly polished.

But....there`s a sucker born every minute, eh?

Personally, I love the looks that a carnauba puts forth in terms of warmth and glow but I also understand that wax is nothing more than a sacrificial barrier, and a very limited one at that, between ones polished paint and the elements. I`ll stick with Pizazz and Trade Secret though as I would have to be really ignorant to pay hundreds of dollars for "wax".

I highly question any paste carnauba or cream wax lasting more than 5 months (even on garage queens) unless it is juiced with some additives to where it is more synthetic than natural.

Great post by benvegas:up

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    Price is all about supply and demand. Is a $500 bottle of wine better made than a $10 bottle? As a wine lover and collector, I can tell you NO. But supply and demand say it is.
    2005 Black Hummer H2--No More

2006 White Volvo S40

Now proud owner of a brand new 2007 SeaRay 310
    :heelclick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joshtpa
    Price is all about supply and demand. Is a $500 bottle of wine better made than a $10 bottle? As a wine lover and collector, I can tell you NO. But supply and demand say it is.

True to a point. If that wine is rare then the cost can come up to over $100,000.00 BUT it may be that it`s only for the collector sake and not a real drinkers wine.

Waxes though, as far as I know, do not have limited runs BUT some waxes may have a collectors desire to them, for example an early tin of Meguiars paste wax.

So you see no difference between a bottle of Boones Farm and a bottle of wine from Robert Mondavi?

Anthony
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco
    In a nutshell, how can one honestly justify buying Zymol priced at over $1000.00 ??

People "ohh" and "ahh" the work of some people who use this wax when in reality it`s not the $1000.00 wax that makes it so nice looking but the 5 or 10 hours of wet sanding and polishing before any wax is put on.

I dare say that you would see no difference between the $1000.00 wax and an 8oz tub of $16.00 wax on a panel that has been highly polished.

But....there`s a sucker born every minute, eh?

Personally, I love the looks that a carnauba puts forth in terms of warmth and glow but I also understand that wax is nothing more than a sacrificial barrier, and a very limited one at that, between ones polished paint and the elements. I would have to be really ignorant to pay hundreds of dollars for "wax".

Very, very true. Alot of people can`t polish a vehicle to perfection to realize this. They rely on their LSP to stand on it`s own, which really won`t cut it. I`d bet 1 step glazing a finish properly would put any LSP to shame. No matter how many coats you put on.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    Very, very true. Alot of people can`t polish a vehicle to perfection to realize this. They rely on their LSP to stand on it`s own, which really won`t cut it. I`d bet 1 step glazing a finish properly would put any LSP to shame. No matter how many coats you put on.

Great paint correction and paint polishing will definitely look good with a low end wax vs oxidized paint with a high end wax. I bet if you polished the paint perfect and topped it with turtle wax, no one that`s "in the know" would believe that it`s turtle wax on your vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great learning thread Ben, i certainly appreciate. Now if you dont mind, I`ll continue using my synthetics.

Nubas were great protectants, but for me, a better mouse trap has been built, and its rather economical to boot!
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1
    How long can carnauba can last in a city like Houston in the summer time......?

(90-100 degree days on a black car sitting in the sun all day long......)

Meguiars #16 or Clearkote`s Carnauba Moose both last all summer on my black car in Dallas.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco

I highly question any paste carnauba or cream wax lasting more than 5 months (even on garage queens) unless it is juiced with some additives to where it is more synthetic than natural.

As long as it has carnauba depth, I`m fine with that.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Well carnuba also holds true to many uses in our type of business because it does not last quite as long as A synthetic such as Zaino, or werkstatt. When the cars wax *maybe* depends on the wax wears off in a month or two months then we get to re-wax the cars giving us more business. If everyone used the most long term things then it would be alot harder for us business wise.
    Owner

Proficient Auto Detailing LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelth
    Well carnuba also holds true to many uses in our type of business because it does not last quite as long as A synthetic such as Zaino, or werkstatt. When the cars wax *maybe* depends on the wax wears off in a month or two months then we get to re-wax the cars giving us more business. If everyone used the most long term things then it would be alot harder for us business wise.

Maybe, maybe not. I have a lot of customers who still want their vehicles waxed regularly even though I use sealants on their cars. Basically, they want their cars taken care of like we take care of ours.
    www.scottwax.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt this is just me, but I dont exclusively use a carnauba wax either. Once my own cars prep work is done (which is the real task), then a sealant is used. After the sealant cures a day later the good carnauba goes on. I like the protection of the sealant and the end look of the wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has there ever been any scientific experiments that show how long a certian wax can last? I understand that it`s different for each cars paint, but still a relatively certain point could be reached.

I`m a biology student so please pardon my thoughts. I was just wondering if there`s any conclusive scientific evidence for the longevity of a carnauba wax. Maybe i`ll try it myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by benvegas

7.) Your wax does not last 6 months on a car. Seriously, it doesnt. You`ll be lucky if your wax lasts a month, two at most. Add some durability chemicals and it might still look good for 3. Wax breaks down immediately in the hot sun. It melts at 95(c). Check the temperature of your cars hood (especially if you live in vegas!). The reason you *think* it still looks good 6 months later is because of all the *other* chemicals in the wax that aid in gloss, color, clarity, reflection, scratch filling, and leveling. Additionally, as most everyone quick details a car, almost every QD contains a small amount of carnauba to keep things fresh again.

Thank you.

You also forgot to mention that carnauba is rock hard and dull in a raw form.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread Information