Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody
    3.)

clarify this one- what does a toilet have to do with paint?

lol. I had the exact same thought! :grinno:

And FWIW, I believe certain carnauba is fully capable of imparting a slight color cast to a painted finish. Does a finish look green when coated with fine pollen granules? Then why is it impossible to appear slightly yellow when covered in a microfine yellow carnauba flakes, that happen to just be suspended in chemicals? I have seen it happen.
    2003 G35 - protected & perfected with Zaino [Zaino, made for those who refuse to live in a world full of compromises]

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone have a link to the post where the guy who created Souveran describes what it took for him to come up with a wax he was happy with?

Post Thanks / Like
    That is the worst analogy I have ever seen....I dont wax my toilet.
    2005 Black Hummer H2--No More

2006 White Volvo S40

Now proud owner of a brand new 2007 SeaRay 310
    :heelclick

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joshtpa
    ....I dont wax my toilet.

You should....makes potty-time a real hoot! :bounce

Seriously ,Ben, interesting stuff and definitely worth

looking further into.

Post Thanks / Like
    I disagree with the OP a little bit....Like I said earlier, I think this is like saying that coffee is $5 lb. There are many types and different things. After looking into this a lot this morning, it seems, the same can be said for Carnuba Wax.

2006 White Volvo S40

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerMike
    Myth #8: Carnuba wax in itself is NOT what produces a shine, contrary to some would lead you to believe. Wax is a dull substance much like candle wax and will not produce any sort of gloss on its own. It is the additives (oils, silicones, etc) that give off the appearance of shine, wetness or depth.

Partially true. Carnuaba has a gloss. Carnauba wax produces the shiny surface of Gummy Bears, Gummy Worms, Jelly Beans and many other candies.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you be more specific on the 95 degree melting point? According to many sources, carnauba has a melting point of around 75 deg. Celsius which is 167 deg. F.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blkZ28Conv
    Partially true. Carnuaba has a gloss. Carnauba wax produces the shiny surface of Gummy Bears, Gummy Worms, Jelly Beans and many other candies.

Food grade and wax grade has gloss? Do they add anything else to the wax coating in food grade or is it straight wax?

I also seem to recall a standard email Sal Zaino used to send out stating caranuba waxes are dull and lifeless without their (gloss enhancing) additives. Actually it goes like this:

From Zaino...

Carnauba Wax and Gloss

The truth of the matter is Carnauba is a, dark yellow, brittle wax. It

has no durability. It also has no high shine. In reality it`s actually a

dull wax. It is not optically perfect and leaves a film (haze) on the

paint finish. If you took two identical colored cars and placed them

side by side. The one with Zaino would be the true color. The other car

would have a slightly different tint to it.
    2003 G35 - protected & perfected with Zaino [Zaino, made for those who refuse to live in a world full of compromises]

Post Thanks / Like
    That seems more like marketing to me.

2006 White Volvo S40

Post Thanks / Like
    Food grade and wax grade has gloss? Do they add anything else to the wax coating in food grade or is it straight wax?

I also seem to recall a standard email Sal Zaino used to send out stating caranuba waxes are dull and lifeless without their (gloss enhancing) additives.

Never got that e-mail.

That is why I stated that your statement was partially true. Carnauaba has a natural gloss that must be augmented to give the luster we desire in our paint protectants. Yes, your vehicle will look rather lifeless without gloss enhancers added to the mix. Carnuaba is basically the "protectant" element in a carnuaba formulation not the "beauty" enhancer. These beauty enhancers are what differentiates a Zymol/Pinnacle from a Meg #16/#26.

Post Thanks / Like

I also seem to recall a standard email Sal Zaino used to send out stating caranuba waxes are dull and lifeless without their (gloss enhancing) additives. Actually it goes like this:

What should we expect him to say about his competitor....of course he`s gonna put the worst spin possible on his competition. I seriously doubt there`s alotta truth in what he`s preaching as well. Most of these guys use more weasle words than a used car salesman.

Icurrently use both systems and find there`s really not much difference between the two, however there`s a lot of BS out there when it comes to the facts and this thread really drives that point home.

It`s good to see this kind of thing get posted every now and then....

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate to go against the grain, but I would suggest that a little research should go into topics such as this one. There is much more to carnauba extract than what this post is suggesting. Bleaching isn`t entirely a correct term when referencing White Carnauba. The process is an old industry standard that has been practiced for many years, in which white carnauba is chemically extracted from the raw yellow compound. This post may provide some interesting reading. http://autopia.org/forum/car-detaili...tml#post803713

The only way to have a meaningful discussion about the attributes of carnauba products is to base the information on referenced facts. Having a conversation based solely on opinion will not really confirm or answer any questions or establish facts.

There are a few veteren carnauba users (myself included) that will also disagree with the duration of longevity of a carnauba finish as described in this post. I have had carnauba finishes that have lasted an entire year (with and without garaging). Again, that is also heresay, but even some wax tests referenced may be helpful in having a discussion about longevity of some products.

Although the topics raised seem interesting, I am left wanting more facts just reading this discussion without established references.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by benvegas
    I wanted to touch on a funny subject that makes me roll my eyes every time I hear the argument.

The argument is: "Ooooh it contains a lot of carnauba, so this wax justifies the price".

-Ben

Thanks for the write up...it`s spot on the money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lbls1
    I hate to go against the grain, but I would suggest that a little research should go into topics such as this one. There is much more to carnauba extract than what this post is suggesting. Bleaching isn`t entirely a correct term when referencing White Carnauba. The process is an old industry standard that has been practiced for many years, in which white carnauba is chemically extracted from the raw yellow compound. This post may provide some interesting reading. http://autopia.org/forum/car-detaili...tml#post803713

The only way to have a meaningful discussion about the attributes of carnauba products is to base the information on referenced facts. Having a conversation based solely on opinion will not really confirm or answer any questions or establish facts.

There are a few veteren carnauba users (myself included) that will also disagree with the duration of longevity of a carnauba finish as described in this post. I have had carnauba finishes that have lasted an entire year (with and without garaging). Again, that is also heresay, but even some wax tests referenced may be helpful in having a discussion about longevity of some products.

Although the topics raised seem interesting, I am left wanting more facts just reading this discussion without established references.
    I`m sure he had done the research. He is creating his own mass produced wax line from scratch. But, you do have some interesting points.

Post Thanks / Like
    Research would certainly suggest that he should have pointed out that there are many types of carnuba wax and tons of grades of those waxes.

2006 White Volvo S40

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread Information