Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    ^agreed! very informative ....I feel bad that swiss sold their "formula" to them ...biting the hand that fed ya...sigh!

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW, I read this thread just now from page 1 to 14 or whatever it is at now.

Ben sad to see you go.

And I was just about to order Vintage, but this thread changed My mind.

Also who said Zymol gives # of days their wax will last? or even giving

what makes their wax special? the Carnauba %? well ok I will give them

that, they have more wax in their stuff which explains why it is PITA to remove

if applied and stayed for more than 5 minutes. But does that mean it won`t melt

in the summer heat of 100F? +plus a black paint? not to mention application.

If I am willing to stretch my wallet more than it is, I will go with Swissvax.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used one Zymol Wax (Glasur) and my initial impression is outstanding. I have been questioning the Carnauba % after reading a discussion on Detailing World on Homebrewed waxes. I just assumed the percentage was of the container but after reading the thread I don`t think it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mixxmstrmike
    In all seriousness, why should this thread "die?"

I totally agree and is why it`s time for an EPIC THREAD :bump:
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow big blast from the past!

David Fermani hosts Autopia`s Greatest Threads!
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, people should plan on spending a good couple hours reading through this one! More EPICness to come....
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carnauba "Mythbuster".

Just read this full thread. Quite a few good twists and turns. This might be discussed in other threads but I`d like to bump this one a bit after reading so much. I have a couple of questions that were some what addressed here early on.

1. So am I to understand that the reason some carnuba based waxes perform differently (not necessarily better or worse) is due more to the other ingredients? Or is it due to higher/lower concentrations of carnuba in the wax? I assume both but what makes that difference more?

2. I know this gets discussed to no end but I want to make sure I understand. Topping a sealant with a carnuba wax is done more because of the desired effect of the carnuba?

3. So in combos like Blackfire wet ice over fire, I assume it is the other ingredients in the midnight sun wax that help it "bond" with the sealant?

Please excuse any misused terminology as I am still learning! Really enjoyed reading this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Carnauba "Mythbuster".

^Someone please reply to this man. Readership and contribution to these investigative threads is extremely important by fostering empirically-derived indicators for industry best practice and to uncover any systemic fallacies among the detailing community.

Also, as there has been a not insignificant amount of time since the bulk of this thread took place, has wax technology or application since improved or altered at all (rendering any advice herein potentially misleading now?)

Post Thanks / Like

Lol... It`s funny how life changes your priorities for you sometimes.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting read. Unfortunately it was stopped abruptly by charges of grandstanding and bias from the judge. Pretty fast way to end a good discussion if you ask me. What`s funny is many were privately asking for the topic to be closed. Why? If you have something contrary to say to the argument, then make your case publicly. Vendor or not, no one gets closer to the facts if the discussion is stopped, unless that`s the purpose of trying to end the discussion. I could care less of who is biased or not, put up your case and let it go on and let the readers judge for themselves what they will or will not believe. This entire industry is seeping in untested marketing claims to the benefit of the ones doing the marketing. Insight and debate should be welcomed at all fronts and only moderated if the debate results to personal attacks.
    Likes Shiny Mew liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Bump for whatever happened to Ben & his wax?

Post Thanks / Like

What company did Ben work for?

Post Thanks / Like

Great post. I agree with most of it but as I was reading I was asking myself...............Do people really still use wax? Why?

Durability stinks, its a time waster, and there are such better alternatives out there?

Its like saying I prefer riding my horse to work.

Me no get it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    Great post. I agree with most of it but as I was reading I was asking myself...............Do people really still use wax? Why?

Durability stinks, its a time waster, and there are such better alternatives out there?

Me no get it.
    Think it`s more about the process. If protection was the only concern, then everyone would simply buy a coating and be done with it. Personally I really enjoy "waxing" my car and stick to nuba based products. I like how the finished product looks and enjoy experimenting with different waxes. It`s a hobby for me and if I went to a coating, what would I do on the weekends?
    Likes KBsToy, tropicsteve, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post

Me no get it.
    Let`s see if somebody can change my ways!

I use wax (Collinite 476S) on the dark blue `93 Audi because:

-It looks good, just right on that paint IMO
    -It lasts a long time, much longer than many sealants I`ve tried (once a year applications at most on that car)
    -It protects well, better than many sealants I`ve tried
    -It conceals a little, again better than any sealant I`ve tried
    -It lends itself well to spot-correction (don`t need to redo the whole panel or do mutliple layers)
    -It`s easy to work with and I like the scent
    -I have a multiple-lifetime supply

I use M16 on my wife`s silver A8 for basically the same reasons, though I do plan to eventually replace it with FK1000P (which they call a "wax", FWIW).

Certain sealants that others like have *really* disappointed me. No coatings for me as I do spot-correction too often for that approach (I use them on wheels).

Quote Originally Posted by addysdaddy
    Think it`s more about the process. If protection was the only concern, then everyone would simply buy a coating and be done with it. Personally I really enjoy "waxing" my car..
    Heh heh, not me I`d happily *never* spend one minute on this stuff if I could magically keep my vehicles the way I want them without effort. I even think of using the Magic Checkbook approach, but my local so-called "detailers", uhm....well, they aren`t touching my vehicles.
    Likes RDKC, GearHead_1, KBsToy liked this post

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread Information