Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    In the more than ten years that I have been operating the Autopia community forum, I have seen a myriad of new car wash, cleaning and polishing products come to market, but none as necessary as the waterless car wash. This new category of product would be more properly called a water[less] product, because that’s what it does. It allows us to clean our cars with less water, because there will always be times with the car is to dirty to clean without using water pressure.

Just in case you’ve been on planet Mars for a few years, water conservation and surface water contamination are hot topics. So it makes sense that we all should evaluate our car washing habits to see if we are in alignment with best practices. Based on an estimated 32-billion gallons of fresh water consumed annually in the USA to wash cars (both commercially and at home), I suspect a few of us are lagging in this area and not doing our part to conserve.

You might be wondering if 32-billion gallons of fresh water is a big number or not. It’s not a small ocean, but it would just about cover the drinking water needs of all Americans for a full year. If that doesn’t interest you, chomp on the fact that all of that water is wasted on a non-productive human process. It does not serve mankind a single bit (like drinking, bathing, irrigation...). Yep, it’s 100% wasted! And, if that’s not enough to shock you into reality, think about the tens of thousands of gallons of car wash soap, wheel cleaners and other chemicals that wash down all of the suburban driveways into the storm drains. For me, that’s a pretty sickening thought, knowing that in most cases storm drains lead right back to surface waters.

Conservation and reducing water pollution are not the only reasons to consider a change in how you wash your car. Can you believe the bucket, soap and wash mitt car wash method is as old as the automobile itself? In fact, it seems almost sacrilege not to be out on a nice Saturday morning hosing and scrubbing the cars in the driveway. However, times change, and just as we have all learned to recycle plastics, cans, bottles, paper and cardboard, we must learn a new way to clean or cars.

If you’re not familiar with waterless car wash products, let me offer a short introduction. Essentially you spray a panel of your car with a waterless car wash formula, let it sit for a few seconds, and then wipe off the dirt and formula with a soft towel. Another method is to give your car a sponge bath with a solution mixed in a bucket with a couple gallons of water. Now, you might be thinking “Oh, my gosh, it will scratch my car!”, but it won’t if you use the products properly.

Each waterless car wash formula is unique in regards to its ingredients. Some waterless car wash products use petroleum, silicone, or other hydrocarbon-based chemicals to clean the car. Another method uses organic plant-based products to clean the car. There is little difference in the cleaning ability between the two types of formulations.

The science behind the waterless cleaning process is pretty simple. When sprayed onto a car panel, the surfactants (cleaners) and wetting agents in the waterless car wash formula break down dirt, causing it to emulsify. At the same time, polymers in the cleaning solution wrap around the particles to form a barrier of lubrication. At this point a soft microfiber towel can be used to wipe away the dirt and formula. A second dry microfiber towel is used to help polish away any remaining formula and buff the surface to a clean, streak-free shine.

Compared to the traditional bucket, soap and wash mitt car wash method, cleaning a car the waterless way requires far less effort and time (less than half), and uses very little water. Time and effort are not the only benefits. You can also wash your car in the comfort of your garage or carport. If you live in an apartment, you can wash right in your parking area.

My own home town has recently voted to begin enforcing zero runoff in residential areas. This includes both property irrigation, boat rinsing, and car washing. As a result, my neighbors and I must learn to deal with the new ordinance. I for one am happy to see the change. Others will go kicking and screaming into compliance.

Where do you stand?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am amazed. I have been a distributor of a waterless car product for 10 plus years. When I first joined Autopia,that`s all I talked about. Well, I was not received to well to say the least. Alot of bashing and hating. Now that things have started to change about the waterless products,and the environment. Every supplier in the world has a waterless product. I am glad I stayed with it,and did not listen to the naysayers. Now they are all on the band wagon. Welcome to the Waterless Car Detailing Product World.

Post Thanks / Like
    I admit, I was late to the dance. I suspect we will have naysayers for many years to come. Most will go kicking and screaming into the future.

Thanks for being a leader and hanging in there!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been using Optimum No Rinse for a few years. I stared using it because where I live there is hard water, and the outside facets are generally not filtered in anyway. However I find using a water[less] product is less messy and faster as you don`t have to pull out hoses and put them away again. The other great feature, at least of ONR, I can use it in the freezing weather (inside a garage) all you need to do it use hot water to make the solution. This is great for getting road salt of cars here in the snow belt. Then the waste water is either dumped on a grassy area where it will be naturally filtered, or I dump it in the sink where it gets treated as wastewater rather than going into storm drains.
    BespokeCarDetailing and AeroCleanse, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    I admit, I was late to the dance. I suspect we will have naysayers for many years to come. Most will go kicking and screaming into the future.

Thanks for being a leader and hanging in there!

Releited (however you spelled his name) is shedding a tear of joy with you saying that even though he banned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just began using a less-water product (ONR) and I like the advantages over conventional washing. It is effective, convenient and better for conservation. Good all around.

Prior to ONR, I used two buckets (1 wash, 1 rinse) and two mitts...wash w/ one hand rinse with the other. This two-bucket wash method uses more water than a waterless wash, but significantly less water/runoff than a hose.

Post Thanks / Like
    1ShinyCar,

You are one of the few people that describe ONR correctly. It is not a waterless product. It is a less water product. The new era of completely waterless products are the spray on - wipe off type. These are the true waterless products. Now they all contain water,but you do not mix them in with water. For example; Dri Wash n Guard (my favorite) NoWet,Adams Waterless Wash, and Buds product. Can`t remember the name. With laws ever changing about run off,pollutants,environment friendly products. All car washes and detailers fixed or mobile will have to be prepared for stricker laws,and watch dogs that will report violations to the EPA. I work in water treatment for city government,and our effluent is constantly monitored. Water plants all over the US are improving their water quality. Car wash owners will be affected the most. The reverse osmosis machines will be running more and longer. I`m already working on going Green in my mobile detail business,and not missing a beat. Stay informed and keep washing ,and detailing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried Dri-wash-n-guard ages ago, hated it. Then I used QEW for a while and moved on to ONR. I use ONR because I can extend the wash season to almost year round where I live. For me ONR is not faster than a conventional wash with a pressure washer.

Its my opinion that this wave of car wash water conservation is a low hanging fruit with lots of profit potential that is already starting to be exploited.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a new era for sure and not just a passing trend. Some can see it, others don`t

care, but all will comply in one form or another... And it`s a great opportunity for

those with foresight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday, I used ONR to clean my 2 daily drivers. I used approx 3gallons total for both with minimal runoff. I have used several waterless products with very good results. (PB`s Spray and Wipe et al) and I am looking forward to try the HD Free concentrate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Clearly Waterless Washes have their place. And that Place is growing ever larger due to many factors (mentioned above). But here in this thread (or somewhere like it) I read there might be times when a car is too dirty, ie. has to be pressure washed or water/bucket washed.

I live in a mostly dirt road county so dealing with dirt is as way of life. I tried JW`s Quick Wash last week and was not satisfied - car was more dusty dirty than caked with dirt. But QW is not ONR either. So that is next on my list as we move into the cooler months.

So how would you describe "Too Dirty" when it comes to waterless wash systems? What are the deciding factors that cause you to gravitate toward "traditional" wash methods?

Post Thanks / Like
    Since I can no longer wash the car in my driveway, I have started taking my truck to the coin-op wash a couple miles down the street. I spray my tires and wheels with HD TOTAL, put a buck in the machine and use nothing but their high pressure rinse to blow off the truck and rinse the wheels. Then I switch to the deionized water for a final rinse. My final step is to clean/dry the truck using HD FREE.

Post Thanks / Like
    What does HD mean DavidB? Are coin washes safe to use? I don`t have very many detailing tools so I ask because the coin wash does have great tools.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ave to admit, I purchased 16 oz of Chemical Guys Waterless wash. I have 4 cars and keeping them clean can be a chore and its time to try an alternative to washing, especially with winter coming soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TypeRlover
    What does HD mean DavidB? Are coin washes safe to use? I don`t have very many detailing tools so I ask because the coin wash does have great tools.

Most coin operated wash bays are nothing more than a pressure washer that can also distribute cleaners. I`ve never had an issue with a coin operated wash bay. I can`t say that most of their chemical are any good, but it was always a good place to go when the 4x4 or dirt toys were too dirty to wash off in my own driveway. Now, it`s the place I have to go when my Bronco is too dirty for just the waterless wash.

HD stands for "High Definition Car Care". It`s a new brand that I recently helped develop, launch and now promote.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information