Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    For wheels and tires we use a combination of products depending on the need.

For bad tires we use our MPC followed by a dressing, for moderately dirty tires we use a Ons step clean and shine product.

For the wheels, if the tires are bad it stands to reason that the wheels will be the same way, for this we spray our MPC at the same time we do the wheels. If the wheels are not bad we use our water less wash. As a cleaning medium we use MF towels.
    At Your Service

Yvan

Post Thanks / Like
    I read this whole thread, whats the point of it?

Talking about eco washing without any details, bragging about your R&D budget and all it looks like you`re trying to do is shill the website membership in the your signature.
    BMW E34 530i

BMW E38 740i Sport

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you read english?

Here let me help you, some highlights -

Quote Originally Posted by reparebrise

One way or definatly reducing marring and swirling is adopting a new wash technique. In 95% of instances you are better of with either a waterless product or ONR. Unless the car has been offroading the technologie in these products protects your paint like no soap could ever do.

Detailing over the next few years will live a revolution of sorts, with increasing water conservation, run off control, and consumer pressure , existing water smart methods will gain in popularity, and new products and techniques will change the way we detail for the better.

Since Henry Ford started making cars the methods we have used to clean cars have not evolved, in Mr. Fords times water, soap and a bucket were used to wash a car(in some cases kerosene was used as a water less wash as well) and 100+ years later some still do the same thing.

The second mouse gets the cheese!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mhuie,

My wife`s family is from Seattle, they are very environmentally conscious. I was surprised to not see you enthusiastically investigating this opportunity.

To save water and control run off, i would think are big issues on your neck of the woods.

Is there anything in particular you were looking to understand?

-jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mhuie
    I read this whole thread, whats the point of it?

Talking about eco washing without any details, bragging about your R&D budget and all it looks like you`re trying to do is shill the website membership in the your signature.

I found this thread very informative, I think you were overlooking those bits though. Many of the posts that you are complaining about were brought about by third parties flaming this thread and the ideals behind it. I am quite comfortable in ONR at present and would like to try some of the waterless options that are available.
    2003 Brilliant Black Audi A4 1.8t

2004 Tornado Red Triumph Speed Triple 955i

Post Thanks / Like
    I just had several conversations today with those involved in Southern California`s NPDES MS4 Permit, the one that regulates Storm Drains, etc.

Looks like the new Permits will elevate standards, and require those in the detailing industry to change methods. One for South Orange County has language that will impact Home Car Washing.

Time for a change suggests that individuals will have a choice. I believe that between the drought and the SWCB`s new Permit, Change will happen outside of any individual choice.

The only choice So California Detailers will have is how they will change ... not if.

-jim

Post Thanks / Like
    What do ya think? EPIC thread :bump: in the making.....??

This sure was an excellent discussion. I truly wonder if any of the nay-sayers have reconsidered their staunch views and adopted an Eco-Friendly wash alternative? Most are gone with the wind with the wild world of detailing I bet? Gotta give credit to Yvan (as well as Joe, Jim & Rob) for being ahead of their time because this methodology is so mainstream now a days. Kudos for still sticking with what works and keeping a hard line on your views.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, just finished a regular 740 tonight. Only wash that car has seen in 2 years is ONR, minus when he thought he would "try" another detailer because I was too busy for a time...secretary called me 2 months later to please come back! THey could not produce the same level of shine. It`s the ONR and other products over that, nothing rocket science (maybe it is).

No marring and I use WW towels for drying and only mf towels with the ONR. His new Audi R8 comes next month!!!!
    Robert and Susan Regan

Towel Pros Microfiber

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WCD
    nothing rocket science (maybe it is).
    To some I think it might be. LOL
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I credit Yvan for getting me into waterless. I made so much fun of it at first. One day I had a client with a new Porsche Carrera GT. He requested we do not use water on it. I made up a "ghetto wash" using last touch, soap and water. It worked!! Fast forward about 6 years and not only do we use waterless most of the time, I am being considered for the position of trainer (on call/part time) with Freedom Waterless and I was invited by Meguiars Jason Rose to help teach a class on waterless washing at Detailfest.
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you think it`s hard to educate detailers on the benefits of rinse less and waterless products , try it with the general public. They still are slow in coming around to the Eco way of thinking.I just had a conversation with the head of a local Mustang club about a rinse less wash of his new Roush hot rod. When he got done laughing I offered to do a freebie and if he was happy with the results he would be required to stand up at their next meeting and eat some crow.
    Paul Sparks

Distinctive Auto Detailing

Indianapolis IN 46234

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Distin...70659146390192

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul, instead of educating them we go ahead and wash the car, then they ask questions and see the results, lesson over. Since this thread has begun, we have changed shops and now have a dedicated car wash tunnel, where we hand wash cars. Due to are harsh winters we pre-rinse the wheels and wheel wells, ONR the car, and dry with Towel Pro`s Guzzler WW towels(ONR should not be sold without those towels). Customers that stay in the tunnel while we wash there car are surprised by the fact we only rinse wheels and wells, and the occasional rocker panel and rear bumper, then go straight to the sponge then the towel. The part that unnerves them the most is the lack of suds. As a profesional I see no need to justify to my customer my choice in products and methods. They hire us to get a result, how we reach that result is up to us. When I hire a carpenter I don`t ask him why he uses Dewalt instead of Makita, his tools his choice. Here is a short timelapse of a wash in our shop, lasts under a min, total wash time from drive in to invoice is under 10 mins.

At Your Service

Yvan

Post Thanks / Like
    Just read the entire thread, some very good points and also some ignorance really shines through. I use waterless when I can, but not for every wash, one big benefit I like about it is no chance for water spots when done washing and no extra time needed to dry. I live basically out in the country with no shop or garage (someday...) and detail as a hobby, so all my work is done in the direct light or under a light canopy. I have city water, but still leaves some spotting which was extremely annoying to deal with when I washed the car and then had to go back and remove water spots after I already cleaned it.

Years ago, before I even got into detailing as a hobby I still always kept my cars very clean... at least clean in my mind Car wash tunnels, local coin drop car washes using the brush. Someone posted on a forum I was on about a waterless wash and he was basically laughed away, I just couldn`t believe that someone would be so stupid as to not use any water to wash! Fast forward a couple years and my views have changed dramatically. Granted, the wash that the guy used was one of those "As seen on TV" type deals, but still, my views on waterless and water smart detailing have shifted for the better towards conservation of time, money, and the environment.... a definite win win situation in my eyes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by reparebrise
    we have changed shops and now have a dedicated car wash tunnel, where we hand wash cars. Due to are harsh winters we pre-rinse the wheels and wheel wells, ONR the car, and dry with Towel Pro`s Guzzler WW towels(ONR should not be sold without those towels). Customers that stay in the tunnel while we wash there car are surprised by the fact we only rinse wheels and wells, and the occasional rocker panel and rear bumper, then go straight to the sponge then the towel.

Yvan, why do you choose to not rinse the whole car? Is it to save water? If I`m rinsing the wheels, I`m going to rinse the car. It takes a minute or two longer BUT it keeps the ONR solution cleaner, reduces chances of marring, and speeds up the actual wash process due to less dirt and media re-dips required.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan We chose not to rinse for a few reasons, first, time is money, second water on the car further dilutes the ONR solution, so you actually have a chance to induce marring when the car is wet, third time is money, forth it`s harder to dry a car that has been rinsed due to the dilution. As far as keeping the ONR solution cleaner, the 2 bucket method, rinsing the car, and all the other obsessive compulsive behavior some people exhibit while using ONR only benefit there piece of mind. We change the water only when we can no longer rinse out the sponge, so for a 5 gallon bucket we get between 4-10 washes. Here are some pics of my car, 22 months old, 40,000 on the clock daily driven in all types of weather, and a true test bed for the No Rinse aspect of ONR, gets washed by employees twice a week, gets clayed every 6 months, has never been touched by a polisher or had any correction at all, but was coated with opticoat from day 1

At Your Service

Yvan

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information