Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    This is an interesting issue. I myself, have already taken some steps to be `greener`. I bought a fairly fuel efficient vehicle (2008 Scion X to start. Second, I use Optimum No-Rinse on all but the dirtiest vehicles. Third, I try to use chemicals that are people and environmentally friendly when possible. My generator is a low emissions Honda which has an eco throttle feature. The great thing about some of the steps I have taken is they usually reduce my costs, which of course increases my profits.
    Brad Will- Owner

Reflections Auto Salon LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the govt. doing to keep all the homeowners that wash their own cars legit?

Same waste water. Same chemicals. Way more of them than us. You never see any of them getting fined or in trouble.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff

Unfortunatly many local gouvernaments are falling short when it comes to enforcing and contoling water use. A city close to us has residents on a water rationing system, even number addres, even number water use, odd number odd day water use. It`s interesting to note that this city is far from having water issues, but seeing that other parts of the world are in a water shortage, they have decided to act in prevention. So far this plan is working.

What needs to be done is for detialers and car wash operators in certian cities to get together and inform the public through adds. Instead of working against each other, if all the legit detailers and car wash owners of any particular city got organised, they would be in a great position to inform the public, and also to lobby city officials when overly restrictive legislation is proposed
    At Your Service

Yvan

Post Thanks / Like
    I look forward to this discussion and section, developing.

In the UK we have a very different context and legislation around this area. We have many people with a growing interest in `going green` with recycling, energy consumption reduction etc becoming a bigger area. So far though, this does NOT typically extend to the valeting/detailing world. We have waste regulations that cover the trade element, but are universally ignored IMHO, and dont apply to domestic car washing, but no restrictions imposed by local government except hosepipe bans in times of summer draught.

I am simply an amateur, but detail a fair few cars pa. I started using harvested rainwater, with 2000L of tanks at my home for car and garden use, but this has since started me on a drive for more `earth friendly` products and techniques. I have to admit to still being torn though...caught by the brands and marketing, while recognising rationally that products like Optimum, and others, offer great performance and green credentials.

I`d like to do more details for Ă‚£ in 2009 and see a `earth friendly` focus as a key USP, but as much as anything would like to be a catalyst to encourage more detailers to challenge existing and outdated views on how they should be working.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO, from what I know, it does not matter what the Mobile Detailer`s opinion is. The NPDES is a national Permit that regulates discharge into the Storm Drains.

We just saw an issue in Huntsville Alabama where that City fines a Detailer for the 2nd time for not using the Wash Capture Mat. California will lead, but it is not a California only issue.

The industry can complain and debate all we want, but the reality is that in major Cities, the EPA does not care about the home washer, or the other guy doing whatever ... they are focusing on the Mobile Car Wash & Detailer. If you do not think waste water from your car wash is a big issue, collect some and take a look ... do an engine detail and think about taking a sip ... would you even if diluted?

California has 2 Compelling Events that will necessitate change. They have drought that will drive water conservation and the new NPDES Permit issues by the State Water Control Boards will shift focus from Waste Cater Containment to Contaminations Capture! ... in 2009.

I believe that Eco Detailing is a way to seperte yourself from teh Bucket & Hose pack. I recommend doing so before the industyry is compelled to change ... be a leader.

Cheers,

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by reparebrise
    Jeff

Unfortunatly many local gouvernaments are falling short when it comes to enforcing and contoling water use. A city close to us has residents on a water rationing system, even number addres, even number water use, odd number odd day water use. It`s interesting to note that this city is far from having water issues, but seeing that other parts of the world are in a water shortage, they have decided to act in prevention. So far this plan is working.

What needs to be done is for detialers and car wash operators in certian cities to get together and inform the public through adds. Instead of working against each other, if all the legit detailers and car wash owners of any particular city got organised, they would be in a great position to inform the public, and also to lobby city officials when overly restrictive legislation is proposed

I can`t imagine that it would have any effect. Whenever I see a preachy anti-smoking commercial, it just makes me want to go out and buy a pack on Camels.

I hate to say it, but this is a whole lot of "the sky is falling" attitude. The environmental impact of our business is obscenely small, and local/state agencies cracking down on us is absurd. It`s just an example of the government getting involved in something that it has no real way to enforce or regulate. But that won`t stop them from trying.

If you really want to do something positive for our industry and your pocket book, be the best in your field. Offer a product that people see a value behind. Convince your target market that you are the one thing they didn`t know they couldn`t live without. The environmental and financial benefits will be a byproduct of you knowing how to run your business.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    I dare any of you detailers to drink your waste water and contaminants ... theoretically of course. There is a study that this will kill fish.

-jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Double Dare!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Relaited
    I dare any of you detailers to drink your waste water and contaminants ... theoretically of course. There is a study that this will kill fish.

-jim

I`d drink from my ONR bucket. Might not taste good but I know it won`t kill me.

What bugs me about all this waste water stuff is that every time it rains, all the crap that has dripped off cars since the last rain runs into the storm sewers. Oil, antifreeze, ATF, axle grease and whatever litter has been tossed into the roads. So far, I don`t see any regulations addressing that, IMO, much larger issue.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax

What bugs me about all this waste water stuff is that every time it rains, all the crap that has dripped off cars since the last rain runs into the storm sewers. Oil, antifreeze, ATF, axle grease and whatever litter has been tossed into the roads. So far, I don`t see any regulations addressing that, IMO, much larger issue.

I couldnt agree with you more Scott.

Green is IN now and I do it to do my part (even if efforts are microscopic in size compared to lager issues) and to put the other green (the one I like) in my pocket.

Also, allot got their panties in a bunch over water reclamation. Like it or not - It is the LAW. I decided along time ago to stop b!tching about it, got compliant and went back to making money.
    The second mouse gets the cheese!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottwax

You read my mind, Scott.
    ~Brett

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a valid point that you make Scott
    My profession and obsession

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes valid point Scott, that said have you ever been able to remove grease with low pressure water alone? While the oils and grease are part of the issue, soap residues are a very large issue, and one that our lakes and rivers are suffering from.

Like Joe said, go green, it will make your life easier, more profitable, and almost trendy.
    At Your Service

Yvan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by reparebrise
    Yes valid point Scott, that said have you ever been able to remove grease with low pressure water alone? While the oils and grease are part of the issue, soap residues are a very large issue, and one that our lakes and rivers are suffering from.

Like Joe said, go green, it will make your life easier, more profitable, and almost trendy.

I bet antifreeze running down the storm drains is at least as big an issue. Doesn`t take ingesting much of it to kill an animal or a person.

I use ONR and all my detailing products are VOC compliant. Plus my car gets better mileage than the typical van or truck most detailers use. I already do more than my part. I just think that in their efforts to "do something", our goverment borders on the ridiculous at times. They focus on minutia and ignore the bigger picture.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I spend a lot of time with government agencies. They do not have a high opinion of our industry.

What if the industry itself self regulated. What if the industry came together and said, hey, wait a minute, if we let the government come in and "clean up" our industry, then they will kill mosquitoes with an elephant gun ... we had better do it ourselves ...

Oh, wait a second ... this is the Detailing Industry ... and that will never ever happen!

So it is by our lack of action that this will occur!

Maybe some could join the IDA, pay only $50 and petition the leadership to put these environmental compliance issues on the front burner ... I am tired, and have given up on that.

I simply suggest that one should not blame the government, and would encourage self examination of the individual and the industry.

-jim

PS In some regards, I am starting to get comfortable with this. It renders my competition irrelevant, and makes it very easy to rapidly expand my locaitons.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information