Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EOppie
    The microfibers say they are bamboo...feel soft like my sheets!

So they cut down bamboo to make towels out of? That doesnt sound too earth friendly to me.. I just have never understood that :chuckle:

Post Thanks / Like
    I work for a chemical manufacturing company that manufacters "GREEN CERTIFIED" chemicals. There is a ton of eco-babble out there & be careful...buyer beware. There is a ton of false claims being made on green products & they are skirting the issue with wording & labelling. If a product does not have green seal(usa) or ECP (canada) certification on the label it ain,t green. Many many over the counter cleaning products claim to be enviromentally friendly but doing a search on the raw materials they use will shock you.

Scorecard Home

i have been into selling "green" chemicals before green was the thing to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    craigdt, I assume bamboo won`t grow in Kansas. It grows FAST! And establishes easily. I am sure in more tropical climates than NC, you can get several crops of bamboo each year. A few years ago Bamboo was all the rage for flooring because it replenishes so much faster than wood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Indeed! you learn something everyday.

I suppose if it is akin to some of the other such things that look similar, it would be

pretty feisty and grow fast.

Thanks for the educated reply. I thenceforth retract all biased comments pertaining

to bamboo towels

Post Thanks / Like
    Post whore here trying to build up my post count and thought I`d chime in.

Truly being green "and" owning a car can only be achieved (detailing related) by not washing your car at all. I am all for trying the ONR as it will save water, but how much water was used to manufacture that bottle of (insert any name) chemical (let alone the chemical) itself. I am on the saving water band wagon and would actually like to see more eco - friendly manufacturing processes and chemicals being made and used. But using the term "Green" feels almost slight. How about "water conscious"? :werd:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanMachine
    Post whore here trying to build up my post count and thought I`d chime in.

Truly being green "and" owning a car can only be achieved (detailing related) by not washing your car at all. I am all for trying the ONR as it will save water, but how much water was used to manufacture that bottle of (insert any name) chemical (let alone the chemical) itself. I am on the saving water band wagon and would actually like to see more eco - friendly manufacturing processes and chemicals being made and used. But using the term "Green" feels almost slight. How about "water conscious"? :werd:

I understand what you`re saying, but perhaps the bigger point is being missed. So let me post my point of view, which is shared by most people in the waterless wash business.

Car washing is a major consumer of clean water. In the USA alone, there are an estimated 3 billion commercial car washes a year and as many as 2.25 billion home car washes a year. The combined fresh water consumption is estimated to be in excess of 32 billion gallons per year. This enormous consumption of fresh water is caused by an inefficient car washing process that has been permitted by poor regulations or poor enforcement of regulations (i.e., EPA Clean Water Act).

Until recently, all car washing processes were based on the use of water pressure to remove dirt and cleaners from the surface of a vehicle. Although this method of cleaning is very inefficient (in terms of both time and water resources), social and regulatory pressures have had very little impact on the car washing industry and individual habits. With new clean water regulations in California, Florida and other states, this is all about to change.

Social and economic development throughout the world requires a ready supply of fresh water. More than 90% of the total water demand comes from irrigation for agricultural purposes and industry. The water used in traditional car wash methods is wasted because it is not part of a productive process that improves the quality of life.

So, implementation of any wash system that reduces water use and surface water pollution is a HUGE benefit. You may not think of it as "GREEN" because the best process has not yet been shown to the market. There are better ways than what we have seen so far, but the industry as a whole is making good progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think my post was mis read. I am 100% for LESS water usage. I was just pointing out the severity of our water abuse in this country. I am in no way saying I am not guilty, or that waterless technology isn`t a step in the right direction, just that along with waterless car products we can carry a bigger impact with other eco friendly products and procedures. I am very happy to see that this Autopian community I am now a part of shares my views.

Thanks for the info on water usage related to car washing. It is really quite disturbing once you stop and realize how spoiled we are. Chris Rock touched on this. He pointed out how tap water isn`t good enough to drink, that we need bottled water. Where , in other countries, they don`t have such a luxury and water is much more sparce. I won`t go into details of his skit, as I am not sure it is appropriate for this thread, but he says it is called "tap" water because it is only good for certain things.

So all in all I think we are on the same page and I was just trying to bring a realated topic to the table.:2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Great discussion and I think it is worth keeping the heat on for people to change their ways. I`m guilty as can be -- Strike that -- Guilty as charged! However, can can proudly say that I have not washed by cars by conventional method for more than 3 months now, and I am completely happy with how they look and how much faster I get the job done.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am actually amazed at how much I have learned in the past 2 months with regards to detailing and to conservation in this trade/hobby. I am an hvac tech and deal with being enviro-friendly on a daily basis with refrigerants and energy consumption. I am going to be doing detailing as a small weekend venture and hope to pass these "Green" (ha ha) tips to my son and family members as well as future customers. Like you said DavidB, the more pressure (and knowledge) the more "mainstream" this will become. I find a lot of resistance and or hesitation when it comes to offering a waterless car washing. Then again, I was on that side at one point. Proof is in the puddin`!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanMachine
    I find a lot of resistance and or hesitation when it comes to offering a waterless car washing. Then again, I was on that side at one point. Proof is in the puddin`!

Why tell people it`s waterless?

Frankly, I don`t think most customers care as long as their car looks great when it`s finished. If I was in the biz, I`d be telling people I use "an EPA approved cleaning method that reduces water consumption and pollution."

Here in So. Cal., city managers are starting to talk about fines up to $10,000. Who will they be going after? Detailers, of course, but even more significantly home owners associations. So people who live in a community managed by an HOA can very likely expect a letter that says "No More Car Washing". Waterless becomes the only solution.

Post Thanks / Like
    [I use "an EPA approved cleaning method that reduces water consumption and pollution."]

ha ha! :har:I like that!

I will be using that description! Maybe some waterless detailers can chime in. (CAUTION: I am guilty of not using "search" to see if there is a thread already started on waterless counter-opposition).

Post Thanks / Like
    P.S., I think the proper term should be water[less].

Post Thanks / Like
    No doubt! :xyxthumbs "I use a Less-water process on my details!"

I am getting some ONR here soon, so I will post my likes/dislikes/questions. I`ve seen a few how to vids including Scottwax`s. Looks like good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    I understand what you`re saying, but perhaps the bigger point is being missed. So let me post my point of view, which is shared by most people in the waterless wash business.

IMHO the real water waster is people washing cars at home, and rinsing them off with hoses. Professional car washes (coin op, and automatic) with water reclaim use much less water to start with, and then recycle much of it.

Waterless washing has its place, but you have to look at the total cycle of consumables. For example the water used in washing the MF towels, that is used to do a no-rinse wash of a car.

For example of the most water saving technologies around is commercial dry cleaning, because of the solvent reclaim. You can wash around 5000lb of clothing with 1lb of perc, vs say 1lb of clothing per lb of water in a washing machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidB
    So people who live in a community managed by an HOA can very likely expect a letter that says "No More Car Washing".

HOA`s are completely fascist, anyone who lives in such an area deserves the inconvenience.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information