Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by ca.detailchick View Post
    Its been over 15 years since Ive done any work in body shops and I dont exactly remember the product ,was probably 3M or SEM. Its a 2 part system you mix together ,black and gooey and you can apply it and sand it like you would bondo. If you google flexible plastic bumper repair you will find a few products available.

Its a much stronger repair and flexible ,unlike bondo.
    Thanks for sharing, I`m looking to get more into body work plus I have a huge dent in my car right now and it`s been killing me to look at it. That flexable bondo stuff sounds like gold.
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

I probably would have approached it like this...

"Is that the flexible body filler designed for plastics?"

That way he has to answer you and it looks like you are interested in his work. It`s a very non-aggressive way to approach the situation and his response (after he fumbles for words) will lead you to your next response.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    I probably would have approached it like this...

"Is that the flexible body filler designed for plastics?"

That way he has to answer you and it looks like you are interested in his work. It`s a very non-aggressive way to approach the situation and his response (after he fumbles for words) will lead you to your next response.
    I knew you would have a tactful approach Todd.

The guy is a nice and friendly guy and I am more interested in making friends not enemies. Im sure thats the way he was taught and has no idea there is a better way.We talked a little about detailing(says hes a detailer too)and he wanted to know about the clay sponges I told him about.

I may run into him again.He is also going to paint the bumper sometime soon and if I do I think I will mention to him how I was taught in the shops .He may be interested and want to know more .

I just didnt want to embarrass him in front of his friend.

Its still a delicate situation. Most of us have fragile egos and dont like being told how to do our work ,especially a man from a woman and a stranger!

Post Thanks / Like

So my neighbor basically fired his friend from the job for not following up on the bumper repair. Its left not finished and looking pretty bad honestly.

He asked me what I thought of the repair and I had to tell it was not a good repair and mentioned if he was going to keep his truck he should get it done right and bondo was not what auto body shops use on plastic bumpers.

I feel a little bad for having to say that about his friends work but he already knew he wasnt happy with the way it looked .

Seemed like a no win situation for me to be in but I had to be honest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information