Post Thanks / Like

When Did This Happen?

Well as the title states I had never noticed PDR forum here. Is it new?

I`m open to answer any questions people may have. I have a little experience with it.

Questions like.

• Pricing
    • How it`s done
    • What can and can`t be repaired
    • Locating a tech
    • Subbing out your repairs
    • Hail repair

Ron Harris

Concours Auto Salon

Authorized Modesta Paint Coatings Applier.

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: When Did This Happen?

Just noticed it myself. Looks like another upgrade to the DC experience.

Why don`t you just go ahead and address one of those talking points. Hail damage for example. I don`t know about some of the other regions represented by our membership, bu in many areas of Texas, unfortunately, the season is upon us.
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

PDR is something I`d like to learn.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking of making the investment of obtaining the tools and light to practice with. As far as I can see it is a pretty costly investment.

Question: How big is too big to repair with the PDR approach? Or better yet, is this dent something that would be to big for a PDR approach? pic below, Thanks TD

Post Thanks / Like

To me it looks like an art form. I have talked to a couple of guys that do it and it takes a while to learn and get the hang of it. I had bought a cd off of ebay and watched it and for me it is going to take awhile to learn. One of the guys I talked to said he went for training for 3 weeks and had to go back for more training. So good luck, hell give it a try you may have a new buiness

Post Thanks / Like

Dave - from what I`ve heard, sharp creases (like the two in the larger dent) are difficult to remove most of the time.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    Dave - from what I`ve heard, sharp creases (like the two in the larger dent) are difficult to remove most of the time.
    I haven`t read anything on the subject yet but that is exactly what I was thinking. I have some experience with hammer and dolly type of fender and dent repair from the body shop I used to work at so I am going to have a go at trying to repair that dent to the best of my ability.

The worst case scenario is that I end up right where I started from, Having to buy a new door or pay for a repair from a body shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    Why don`t you just go ahead and address one of those talking points. Hail damage for example. I don`t know about some of the other regions represented by our membership, bu in many areas of Texas, unfortunately, the season is upon us.
    Texans can always count on a hail storm. Dallas probably has the highest concentration of PDR techs in the country. It hails there quite often and is a good jump off point for guys who chase hail storms around the country.

If your vehicle is damaged in a storm or a storm comes to town you will notice guys from all over the country if not the world trying to get a slice of the pie. You might think this would be good for the consumer with a damaged car right? In some cases it can be but remember you get what you pay for most of the time. If some one is going to offer to pay your deductible put $500.00 in your pocket and give you a free rental i would be a little concerned that they would really short cut the repair or cause unseen damage to the structure of your vehicle by drilling numerous holes.
    I`ve seen lots of cars that had hail damage repairs and where every one of the dents was it now looks lumpy like an oatmeal cookie. If the repair is done right you will not be able to see it!

Some insurance company`s have a no drill policy. Meaning that the technicians must not drill to gain access to repair the dents.

A good tech will use a combination of traditional tools as well as glue pulling tools to repair your car.

You really need to check a company`s background and references prior to letting them tear apart you car to do paintless dent repairs. Working with a local Body Shop or Paintless Dent Repair company would be your best option. That way if something goes wrong you have some one to go back to.

The thing I hate is when a person gets a check for 2000.00 to repair the vehicle correctly and they set out to try and find some one to repair it for 500.00 There is a reason it`s going to cost that much.

There a alot of low ballers and shady people that travel around the country so be weary who you deal with.

A good site for more information or locate a tech would be Napdrt.org -- Reliable Paintless Dent Repair and Hail Damage Repair Information
    The "National Alliance Of Paintless Dent Repair Technicians"

Ron Harris

Concours Auto Salon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    I was thinking of making the investment of obtaining the tools and light to practice with. As far as I can see it is a pretty costly investment.

Question: How big is too big to repair with the PDR approach? Or better yet, is this dent something that would be to big for a PDR approach? pic below, Thanks TD
    Being a PDR tech is just as costly as being a mechanic. You have you tools, equipment, training and time spent honing your skill. Some people will spend their money and time trying to learn and then just give up. So I can be considered an art form.

As for your dent the large portion looks reparable however the two creases are the real challenge. This is something that a qualified tech with many years experience would have see in person to determine if it`s reparable.

Big dents can be repaired just not all of them.

Here is a picture of a sharp crease I repaired in the rear door of an F150

There was one just like it on the front door as well. the repair took around 6 hours.

This is a big dent in the door of a 350Z It was kicked in!

Ron Harris

Concours Auto Salon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post
    Being a PDR tech is just as costly as being a mechanic. You have you tools, equipment, training and time spent honing your skill. Some people will spend their money and time trying to learn and then just give up. So I can be considered an art form.

As for your dent the large portion looks reparable however the two creases are the real challenge. This is something that a qualified tech with many years experience would have see in person to determine if it`s reparable.

Big dents can be repaired just not all of them.

Here is a picture of a sharp crease I repaired in the rear door of an F150

There was one just like it on the front door as well. the repair took around 6 hours.

This is a big dent in the door of a 350Z It was kicked in!

WOW!! Nice work on those dents. Thanks for the info, I have no doubt about the time and dedication it must take to become successful at that type of work. I will be spending time reading in this forum, Thanks again Ron

Post Thanks / Like

i was wondering can you repair dents on the roof of the car?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CGdetailing View Post
    i was wondering can you repair dents on the roof of the car?
    Sure we repair hail damage all the time.
    Sometimes even large dents like the ones pictured above.

Ron Harris

Concours Auto Salon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post
    Sure we repair hail damage all the time.
    Sometimes even large dents like the ones pictured above.

Is it difficult to work with a roof?

I remember a long time ago, I saw someone at a sporting even jump on their roof, dent it, and then punch the inside to pop it out. It was still pretty messed up. The look on his face after he saw the damage was priceless.
    www.autopia-carcare.com
    1-877-855-3125
    John@Autopia-CarCare.com

Post Thanks / Like

One of the most difficult parts about roof repair is dropping the headliner. Well not really difficult just time consuming.

The worst thing you can do when you have a dent is try and repair or minimize the damage by pushing it your self. If you think it will save you money when the PDR tech shows up you might find it costing you more.
    When you push the low spot with out softening the crowns you can really lock in the rest of the damage.

Ron Harris

Concours Auto Salon

Thread Information