Thread: Pdr

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Pdr

Finally had the dealer address a pea size dent on the passenger side front fender Wednesday. Along with a new wheel I had installed due to a finish defect on the factory one. It is a fun process to watch if you never have seen it before. 10 min and gone. Like it was never there. They sublet that work to DENT WIZARDS.

https://www.dentwizard.com/paintless...car-dents.aspx
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pdr

Awesome to hear it’s all dialed in now!

Dent Wizard is in our town too - such a fitting name for a PDR company! The guy that was stationed at the dealership when I was there was top shelf. He pulled a crease out of the door of my M3 at the time that I was sure there was no way would be 100% removed.

PDR remains a skill that if I had the money for schooling I’d love to learn, even though it would only be for personal use. There’s another PDR place in town that offers a class that if I remember right includes tools as well...
    Likes PA DETAILER liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve dabbled in it with decent success. I got a kit from eBay and it has paid for itself. If you are paying someone to do the work, make sure they aren`t drilling holes to get to stuff. Iearned that the hard way a long time ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Wondering whether PDR could work OK on the hood, I mean...bonnet...of the Jag where my guy caused an outie. I`m afraid such work would crack the old lacquer...that dent bugs the [crap] out of me and dents usually don`t. To me, that one screams "incompetent person!" and I simply hate knowing it`s there, much less seeing it, let *alone* driving it with that...as bad as driving a car with swirls/holograms IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

PDR is amazing. They can do,what seems to me, magic. They can knock out dents you would swear were impossible. Depending on the age lacquer may be thicker and more elastic. If a dents bugs you I would not be afraid to call a reputable PDR company.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Its not a dent but an - outie - .. usually caused by closing the hood over something that should not have been there, so it punches the metal up from the back side..
    So the guy has to know how to put that outie down without stretching the metal too much and not breaking the paint.. He is going to have to hit it and not break the paint..
    Cant use heat very much if at all ,because its painted..
    All the guys I used to know who knew how to do real - metal finishing - including using - lead - are all way old and gone now.. Takes years/decades, to learn that craft..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Ah ha an “outie”. I can see where that would be more difficult. They would have to tap on the paint or something over the paint. I would give them a call to see if they would attempt it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    PDR is amazing. They can do,what seems to me, magic. They can knock out dents you would swear were impossible...
    So I hear

Depending on the age lacquer may be thicker and more elastic...
    Not this lacquer, it`s already prone to cracking.

If a dents bugs you I would not be afraid to call a reputable PDR company.
    If I ever plan on recommissioning the car I`ll want to look into it, but the problem is always finding those reputable companies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Its not a dent but an - outie - .. usually caused by closing the hood over something that should not have been there, so it punches the metal up from the back side..
    Exactly. Specifically, it was a bolt that secures the A/C lines. Zero question how/when it happened...if the guy weren`t a pal..still [ticks] me off.

So the guy has to know how to put that outie down without stretching the metal too much and not breaking the paint.. He is going to have to hit it and not break the paint..
    Cant use heat very much if at all ,because its painted..
    So far the only guy who`s looked at it (he *is* reputable) said he`d never attempt it.

All the guys I used to know who knew how to do real - metal finishing - including using - lead - are all way old and gone now.. Takes years/decades, to learn that craft..
    Dan F
    The guy who trashed the Jag (yeah..same car..poor thing ) with his rotary can do that sort of work *really* well...yeah, over 60 yrs experience. His son`s only been doing it for ~30 or so and he`s just "not bad".

Post Thanks / Like

If it’s already prone to cracking I would leave it alone. The dent I would hate, but but cracked paint would drive me to a repaint. I have a hard time looking at rock chips after I’ve Dr Colorchiped them. I know no one can see them unless they are 6 inches from the chip, but I know they are there. Stuff like that bothers me when I go to sleep. There is a tiny dent on my right rear fender and everytime I walk by it I think “needs to be fixed”. OCD. I think all Autopians have this to some extent. 99% of the general public trashes their vehicle and doesn’t even think about it. For them it’s disposable, for us it “deserves” better.

Post Thanks / Like

rlmccarty2000- Heh heh, "leave it alone" pretty well sums up what I do with that car period...~20K since new in `85, haven`t driven it for years.

Heh heh#2, the chips on the Crown Vic would drive you *nuts*!

And Paintwork is no longer on the table as the proper paint simply isn`t available any more (and no, they won`t custom-mix is, we`ve tried everybody). Anyhow, I gotta be careful I don`t "restore" the car to where I don`t relate to it any more, I just hate that somebody else did something to it that I`d *NEVER* do, same with how the painter trashed one spot with his rotary- I don`t do [stuff] like that, ever.

It`s weird what does/doesn`t bother me, extremes in both categories! Stuff that *no* other Autopian would put up with is perfectly OK by me, while I won`t drive vehicles over stuff that "nobody cares about". Eh, my game/my rules.

Post Thanks / Like

I never noticed mine till about the 2nd wash. It was high on the fender along the body line. Pea sized, but there. Not from a door ding. Guy figured it might have been from loading/unloading from the carrier truck. Just glad I caught it early.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

There are a couple of good PDR guys here in Austin. IMHO a good one is worth his weight in gold---especially to my wife who for some reason has not mastered the art of parking at the end of the parking lot instead of right next to people. I seem to use them more often than I want.
    Jay

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I had this done to my vehichle and my mother’s guy took out 5 ding in 3 different panel for $200. Did such an amazing job I had my mother come down to remove dents from her rav4. He literally made $400 dollars in 1 1/2 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information