Post Thanks / Like

Question Does clay remove wax? Of course? Not?

Before I get started, this is not about who`s right or who`s wrong - I hope it doesn`t come across that way. I just want to know whether clay removes wax or not.

Another DC member - not to name names but this member uses the initials TDman, made a statement in another thread that I found hard to accept. He said that clay will not remove wax. I personally can`t imagine clay removing the junk I`ve seen it remove without removing sealants and waxes. So I googled and found a reference to support my contention that clay will remove wax. Since then, TDman has reasserted his claim so I googled again - fully expecting to find a more authoritative source. Low and behold, I found some references that squarely support TDman`s statement.

So experts out there - what gives? :dunno

My research over the past 10 minutes - exhaustive research!!
    The clay manufacturer/producer site`s I visited skirt the issue but recommend you follow your clay with polish and sealant/wax. To sell product? Or to protect your car? :dunno

Some advice sites say clay will remove wax, others say it will not. Seems about 60/40 will to will not - for whatever that means from 10 minutes or so with google.

So what`s the scoop? Surely someone here knows the answer.
    Fasten Your Seat Belt! It helps keep the aliens from sucking you out of the car.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does clay remove wax? Of course? Not?

Well this is the way I look at it...if it can remove dirt and surface contaminates from the paint, it has to be able to remove some if not all the wax on a surface.
    Is it possible to clay and not remove any wax, I don`t think so...would it remove all the wax....probably not either...I think it also would depend on the clay itself...since there are a few different grades of abrasiveness of clays, some that are weak, and some made for body shops...maybe there are some that don`t remove wax:dunno
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

I still use terry cloth
    Post Thanks / Like

I`ve thought this myself a lot of times, and I`m split on the issue. The clay I usually use, ClayMagic, is a pretty slick and soft clay that I know removes contaminants, but the way it glides across the surface of the slick paint, I sometimes doubt that it`s removing the wax. There`s a section on the rear quarter of the bed of my truck that has areas that always seem to HOLD polish and wax (I`m assuming its the buildup of invisible road crap that flings up from my tires), requiring me to give extra effort to buff it off, but I know that those spots will clear up if I go over them with a claybar. So basically, I don`t know. This is an interesting question worth pondering though!

Post Thanks / Like

I remember attending a Meguiar`s Session and the Rep replied the question saying that No the wax is not removed since the layer is so small. However if you think of it, your car is obviously under abuse and needs to be re waxed / polished.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always felt that clay removed everything that was on the paint, I also was under the impression that was one of the things that it was designed to do?
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Resident of Detail City travisdecpn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think a test is in order, first apply wax to an area and let it cure. Then section the hood or panel, and use the clay on one side, leave the other alone. Spray water onto the surface to see if the clay removed the wax by lack of beating or sheeting characteristics. Just a suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by travisdecpn
    I think a test is in order, first apply wax to an area and let it cure. Then section the hood or panel, and use the clay on one side, leave the other alone. Spray water onto the surface to see if the clay removed the wax by lack of beating or sheeting characteristics. Just a suggestion.
    Unfortunately the product you use as lube for your clay would affect the test. Probably best to clay one side of an already waxed surface while washing the car. Then dry the car and do the bead test. I don`t know how definitive this test could be.

I would come in on the side that it can remove wax but does not necesarily do so. I thought clay was designed to remove contaminates like fall-out and tar. Clay doesnt remove water spots, and water sits on the surface too! If clay removed everything, you wouldn`t need a product like AIO but when I clay, I bookend it with an application of AIO.

just my .02 cents

Aloha,
    Robert

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience it is not the clay that will remove the wax (and it will remove some, don`t get me wrong, it is slightly abrassive), but it is the lubricating agent. Now, I have washed a car, and rinsed it, and used the water on the paint as a lube and after I was done and rinsed it, there was still plenty of water beading. My car was not that contaminated so I did not have to go over any panel twice, or get agressive with it).

When using clay lube, and I really hate the stuff since it streaks up and makes more of a mess, it seems that the concentration of the lube (you use more QD per panel claying, that you would if you were using it for a wipe down--and really, most of it ends up in the rag within 5 seconds anyway) will compromise whatever protection is on the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Its my opinion that clay does not discriminate. Sap, wax, tar, brake dust, overspray, its going to remove a LARGE portion of sealant, and even a larger portion of Carnauba. I dont understand why anyone would clay and not follow up with a polish and sealant anyway, it should be part of your regimen anyway. Ya also have to ask yourself if beading is indicative of total protection, I dont think it is. Next time you use a paint cleaner on your surface, dribble some water on it and tell me it doesnt bead....
    When it`s you car, every detail matters...........

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

I assumed the "remember to polish/wax after claying" comment on the ClayMagic box was, indeed, just there to remind you that you`re not done.

The first time I clayed, the paint was smoother & slicker than after I had waxed so, to a noob, slick & smooth after claying = protection which is wrong. The "remember" comment is put there to remind you to protect the surface you have just cleaned.

Clay is abrasive so it may remove some of the good (wax/sealant) with the bad stuff but does it clean the surface down to the CC? Think about how many products & layers are on there and now look at the clay you just used. Doesn`t it seem that you`d see something on the clay?

First time I folded & refolded the clay many times to get a clean clay surface and eventually the clay was discarded. I`ve spot-clayed my Accord where needed a few times with a new bar & I don`t see much getting transferred to the clay so if it`s removing product(s) where are they on the clay?

Also, if UPP, EX-P, Optimum, and the top quality carnauba`s are so slick, why doesn`t the clay eventually get slick from all the products it`s supposedly removing?

Just my $.02
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Is Simple Green Simple?
    Post Thanks / Like

I look at it this way...

Odds are, the majority of the items that need to be clayed off that are resident on the surface of my paint probably landed there `post-wax` but, as all of us have done, I have been known to wax and not clay before hand.

With that in mind, I look at it as the stuff that was there before I waxed is basically sealed to the paint at this point with a very thin build of wax. Using a clay bar to cleve this particulate off of the surface will, in turn, remove the wax where the particulate was resident.

In short, I now have oodles of small `dots` where the clay pulled something off that probably doesn`t have any protection.

In addition to that thought, it would make sense to me that most things that are abrasive would remove film build. Clay is minimally abrasive. My thought, it removes film build. *shrugs* I`m sure it`s mediscule but, it just makes sense to me...

That being said, I feel that it`s a must to re-wax any clayed body panel after claying...

RP

Post Thanks / Like

i just always figured the clay slides over the surface and picks up anything that pretudes from that clean surface... so a layer of wax would not be fully picked up... but any little uneven parts of that wax layer will be... hmm.. just a thought

Post Thanks / Like

i thought clay was NON abrasive and floated on the surface of the paint with the lube, and it was the action of sliding that pulled the above surface contaminants from the paint. In my thoughts it would then leave tiny holes in the wax or sealant where ever a contaminant was removed, then requireing a rewax or reseal ? :dunno
    "at the end of the game, the king and the pawn go in the same box"

Post Thanks / Like

No its not going to leave tiny little holes ! Imagine putting floor wax on your kitchen linoleum. Same principle....If the surface is not contaminant free, you just apply wax over it, and cover the particles. Your not creating holes in the "wax, sealant". Now when you clay the surface, you shear or pull the contaminant out of the sealant, or waxed surface.. Claying does to your protective surface, what a polish would do to your clearcoat......Its best advised to repolish and/or seal after claying.
    When it`s you car, every detail matters...........

Post Thanks / Like

i dont think i explained what i meant correctly, what i meant was if you waxed a car with overspray, then decided to clay the overspray off the car there isnt going to be any wax UNDER where the overspray or paint drops of overspray were, thats what i meant by tiny holes in the wax or sealant, i dunno
    "at the end of the game, the king and the pawn go in the same box"

Thread Information