Dewey,Cheatem & Howe ESQ.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Winter washing tips

After talking to Steve I have decided my marring problems can be controlled much better by rotating new wash mitts into mix. I use the microfiber mitts and have great luck with them with the aid of the grit-guard and the 2 bucket method.

I also use good soap from PB`S-OPTIMUM-MEGUIRES just to name a few. Once a mitt gets used for 3-4 weeks it gets used as a wheel mitt and the paint gets a new mf mitt to take its place. Please remember I wash 3-4 times a week and do 3 cars at a time. Some vehicles get a wash every other day and a rinse in between washes.This seems to lesson the chance of marring and gets off the sand/salt from moldings and other hidden areas.

Official Wax Waster atkinsonair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Winter washing tips

Can i leave my truck up there for you to do? Thanx in advance......

Dewey,Cheatem & Howe ESQ.
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure why not, what are friends for anyway, right. It just might make it to the turnpike before it needs a washing all over again...

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Having clean wash media is always important, but even more so when the sand/salt hits the roads.

FWIW, I hit the DIY wand wash or a touchless drive-thru anytime the vehicles are heavily coated with road crud. That happens year round in my part of the country due to the gravel roads that are often a part of road construction.

After rinsing off the majority of the road grime, I then finish the job at home.
    Most often with a rinseless or waterless product.

Charles

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

most people have a hard time deciding when their wash mitt or sponge etc are ready to be relegated to dirty work ... I think the same is true with microfiber
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

I guy on another site decided to switch to a foam gun/high quality boar`s hair brush process to get rid of swirling. He takes the BHB along the paint and has the foam gun spray right at the point of contact for a dislodge and flush process. By doing so the dirt particles are flushed away rather than drug across the paint. He then followed up with the same process with a lambswool mitt rather than the boars hair brush.

Post Thanks / Like

DOn`t for get a good prewash with bug squash

Post Thanks / Like

well I have used fake lambs wool mitts for years, I wash them maybe every two weeks. the secret is to leave them in your bucket of soapy water, that way it keeps the mitt soft , the excess dirt drops down in the bucket therefore cutting down on any micro abrasions .
    If you have a black vehicle I suggest using more soap than oyu would normally use in a 5 gallon bucket. you want the soap solution to fill slightly greasy when you put your hand in.
    Also , when washing your vehicle, never never, wash in a circular motion. use a long back n forth motion, and wash the vehicle from the top down. rinse from the top down, rinse at least 3 times. depends on what kind of soap you use, left over soap film causes those nasty abrasions as well.

dry your vehicle with nothing other than micro fiber with a plush weave.when drying your vehicle , again do not try and completely dry the surface all at once, do the walk around technique , where you remove water from the top surface down walking around the car. hood, roof , trunk, dry the sides last as they will be almost dry by the time you finish with the top surface.

Weekend Warrior RyansAutoDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

my outdoor water gets shut off in winter due to the excessive cold so i just go the lazy way and go to the ecowash touchless car wash then touch up after with UQDT and UQW and its good as new !

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by njcarting1 View Post
    ... Once a mitt gets used for 3-4 weeks it gets used as a wheel mitt and the paint gets a new mf mitt to take its place. Please remember I wash 3-4 times a week and do 3 cars at a time. ...
    Obviously I am not familiar with the environmental issues you are facing, but that just seems like a very short lifespan for a wash mitt. Are you demoting them because they are torn? For what your are spending on mitts you might want to check out sea sponges. They are darned rugged, rinse freely (moreso IMO than wool/mf/cotton etc.), and are just as finish friendly.

Thread Information