Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

I like #16, but for the winter I put some 476S over top of it (wife`s car, she uses it for long trips). Come spring I just use a mild polish and go back to #16.

You put 476 on top of the IW? Can you do it the other way around to get durability with the superior (so I hear) finish of IW?

mb
    05 Cooper S

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Dawn doesn`t do much wax stripping anyhow, and it sure doesn`t dent Collinite for me.

Paint cleaners cut right through it though, Meg`s Deep Crystal Step #1, AIO, SRP, stuff like that`ll do it. Or you could use rubbing alcohol. Or you could just let the abrasive (that you`ll probably need after winter anyhow) cut through it, which is what I usually do.

I like #16, but for the winter I put some 476S over top of it (wife`s car, she uses it for long trips). Come spring I just use a mild polish and go back to #16.

I wouldn`t worry too much about pre/post VOC versions of IW. I`ve yet to hear of any issues with the newest version. But then I`m the guy who bought a case of 476S before the change just to be on the safe side

Accumulator, you and I have much in common, first it was 3Ms PIII RC, then it was #16 and now its Collinite 476S. You must be a conservative common sense type of guy !

Post Thanks / Like
    I used IW on my silver 307 last week. Not quite as wet as Nattys but still very impressive. I didnt bother with pictures as silver never looks as good in a photo.

Post Thanks / Like
    *BUMP*

11 posts up.

Wanted to know if they still have the Old 845 available anywhere.

Are you guys using the new 845? IS the durability relatively the same? Better?

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    try local Car Quest or Advance auto stores-might still be some old bottles on the shelf

Post Thanks / Like
    i`m ordering mine thru pakshak

Post Thanks / Like
    Wannafbody, tubler,

Thanx for replying.

So basically no place ONLINE has the Old IW?

I drove half and hour to the closest Advanced auto parts and the lady doesn`t even know about the product and was so careless in helping me. She`s like "What ever we have on the shelves is all" I feel as a store employee you should at least have somewhat of an idea of what you sell) she didn`t bother to leave past the register, quit chatting and help me.

Oh well, I gotta move on.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope somebody finally does a side-by-side with the "new" and "old" versions of IW just to put this thing to rest. I`m gonna be very surprised if there`s a noticeable, functional difference. The folks at Collinite worked on the new formula for quite a while and I have confidence in them.

Quote Originally Posted by EdLancer
    Accumulator, you and I have much in common... You must be a conservative common sense type of guy !

Heh heh, well, I do try to be sensible, and my more liberal friends would agree with the conservative part I *am* pretty conservative on the detailing products. Stuff that`s worked fine for me since forever still works fine today.

Quote Originally Posted by mbcoops
    You put 476 on top of the IW? Can you do it the other way around to get durability with the superior (so I hear) finish of IW?

Sorry, I must`ve been unclear, I don`t use IW, just the 476S. It seems to layer just fine on top of most anything. I dunno if the IW would compromise underlying products or not, I`d wonder about the solvents in it but I don`t know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman8r44
    Would a touchless automatic car wash remove it?

Depends on the carwash- what detergents they use and how the mix them. The touchless my wife goes through in TN doesn`t strip #16 or 476S but that doesn`t mean a different wash wouldn`t. It`s a gamble.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered mine from PakShak and I got the pre-VOC bottle. This was a few months back so I`m not sure if Ranney still has anymore left.

Also, 1 layer of this stuff went 3 months easily for me (half of it through the Melbourne winter) and it was still beading like new. After that I stripped it off. Was very impressed but couldn`t wait to try something new.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a new bottle that i bought in the spring, but it sure doesnt smell VOC compliant
    2001 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R
    2003 Toyota echo (45mpg)
    2005 Scion TC

I'll figure it out....
    Post Thanks / Like
    I started using 845 this past Sept. I already have 3 coats on the car, and I

plan to doa fourth probably before the end of this month. Now that I`ve had

time to play around with it, here are some more little observations:

It wil definitely hide light swirling and cobwebbing with multiple coats.

It leaves one of the clearest shines I`ve seen of all the carnuabas I have.

The only ones that challenge it are FK1 1000p, and PB Natty`s (the white one)

It. leaves the most rediculously small and tight beading of any wax I`ve used.

Haven`t used 476 yet, but I suspect it will have similar results.

Not as self cleaning as someting like #16, but it cleans off extremely well.

It seems to acummulate light dust after application and removal. But

after a wasy, the acummulation drops a bit.

Very glossy, and wet looking; not quite as sharp in reflection as something

like KSG, or the FK1 sealants.

Apply to the wwhole car and remove seems to net the best results; seems

to be harder to do the WOWO

If you remove with a "velvet style" MF cloth, it seems to give a much more

sharper reflection. The cloth seems to give a polishing effect, unlike the plusher

towels which just remove the haze. Best of both worlds is to break up the haze

with the plush towel, then follow up with the velvet.

You can apply 2 coats in a day; allow about 30 mins. between applications,

and be sure that the intial coat-haze is removed, or you`ll see it later on.

Be sure to lok at the panel from as many angles and under as much light as

possible so your sure not to have missed anything. When applied ery thin,

the haze is very hard to see as it does not really dry white. Putting on thick

coats will leave a bit more white haze, but then again, that`s just more wax

that you`ll waste. A little bit really does go a long way; about 4-5 pea sized

drops will prime the pad, and then just use 2-3 pea-sized drops to work in each

panel. Ad a drop or two more if you can see it is not applying to the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is 845 easier to remove than say UPP ?

Post Thanks / Like
    How long should you wait if you want to top 476 with 845? Will layering the 845 over 476 compromise the durability of 476?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Used IW (old formula) on my car exactly 1 month ago. Washed it today for the first time in 2 weeks. Beads are still impressive. Decided to give it 1 more coat for the winter and call it quits.

Agree with USDM. Use 1-2 pea-sized droplets per panel using a MF applicator for very thin applications. Two of the better applicators for this purpose are the new Meguiar`s White Gold Class and Waynestowel`s White applicator pads. Removal then becomes a breeze. I`d say on par with P21S or Soveran. If applied thick then its a bear.

A great winter carnauba wax.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    layering 845 on top of 476 is fine

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread Information