Post Thanks / Like

8 weeks, 3 snow storms, 3 washes and Butter Wax

I had the opportunity to try out some of Adams Detailig products ... see this thread:
    http://www.detailcity.com/showthread...ams+Kit+review

After 8 weeks, at least 3 snow storms and the salt, dirt, brine and everything else that comes with them plus 3 or 4 washes and 2 or 3 Spray and Wipes, I thought I would give an update.
    After washing, the car still looked shiny and very reflective but the water no longer beaded. The paint also felt a little grabby (some parts, probably because of the brine they use on our township roads to melt the snow and ice).
    I determined that a lot of the Wax was probably gone from the finish because the detailing spray was also streaking somewhat. In the past I would grab the PC and apply a quick coat of NXT. However, since I liked the look of the Butter wax so well on the Bronze Metalic Paint, I decided, "what the heck." I grabbed a Meguiars` foam applicator and applied a quick coat of the Butter Wax, without any surface prep at all (except for the wash).
    I used 2 applicators because as I applied the wax they started turning brown in color ... this indicated that the Butter Wax was cleaning the paint at least a little. It took about 35 minutes to apply the wax.
    After letting it sit for about an hour, I wiped it of with a MF and couldn`t belive my eyes .......
    The car looked every bit as good and was smooth as silk just like when I did a complete detail 8 weeks prior. In fact, the paint looked even wetter than it did the first time.
    I have gotten better durability from UPP, but 8 weeks and such little effort to restore the finish with Butter Wax really impressed me.
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 8 weeks, 3 snow storms, 3 washes and Butter Wax

Thanks for the update. Nice to know how good the butter wax replenished the finish.
    2000 Ford Explorer XLT
    Alpine CDM-9803/Alpine MRP-F306/Crossfire TEK 35.2/Stock Speakers/JL Audio 10W3D2
    MODS: 31" BFG AT/KO

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Kim as usually very informative. What was the temp when you put the butter wax on?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OI812
    Thanks Kim as usually very informative. What was the temp when you put the butter wax on?
    I am fortunate enough to have a heated garage ... So the temperature inside where I was working was around 68 degrees. Outside, probably around 20.

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the early fall or late summer (whenever it was that I got the stuff) I applied a second coat of Butter Wax and the difference in looks was very impressive. Also, two coats lasted me quite a long time, but I have to take into consideration the moderate weather we have down here.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

I'm back YIPEE Refreshed! The Chee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Kim have you got the Brilliance spray glaze?
    You might like to use that before butter wax as it has pretty good cleaning properties . I would think that it would prep the surface somewhat (imho , sounds logical to me ) and give the butterwax a better surface to be on.

I have Brilliance and 2 X BW for bout 2 weeks now , 4 washes due to horrendous weather here, been raining a lot lately . I just sprayed some water on the car and it`s still beading on some parts although the car`s umm pretty dirty. Gonna wash it tomorrow morning.

ps: I was fooling around with VM and Brilliance. Both of them could remove some lines I scribbled with black permanent marker on persplex!! VM has a slighter better cleaning property than Brilliance. maybe someone can try this out and verify it as well??
    A man has got to recognize his limitations, and then learn how to adapt within those confines. Then go out and conquer.

Post Thanks / Like

Chee,
    I do not have Brilliance, but it is on my list.
    I was basically being lazy. plus I wanted to just do a quicky to see what would happen. I was pretty impressed with the outcome.

I'm back YIPEE Refreshed! The Chee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: 8 weeks, 3 snow storms, 3 washes and Butter Wax

Yea i`m very pleased with the look as well, my car is filthy but still looks good from a distance
    A man has got to recognize his limitations, and then learn how to adapt within those confines. Then go out and conquer.

Thread Information