Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Zaino review

Post Thanks / Like
    No, it didn`t take me 6 hours! After finishing, I played with my niece then we all went out to eat.

My brother had already washed his van when I got there, so I was able to jump right in and start with AIO. I even used a brand new polishing pad to make sure no other products came in contact with the paint. The paint was still in good shape since the van is only about 15 months old, so AIO was enough to prep the paint. I also did all the windows with it too. After polishing, the paint was noticably brighter, more reflective and slicker; just what I expect from AIO.

I mixed 5 drops of ZFX into the Z2 and shook it up real good before I started buffing, so by the time I finished, it had been 30 minutes since mixing. I misted a brand new foam hand pad (again, I wanted to make sure no other products could contaminate the results) and applied some Z2. It spreads very easily and a little goes a long way especially after the pad it primed. I applied the first layer and by the time I finished (maybe 10 minutes), where I first started applying Zaino passed the swipe test, so I removed the excess. Wiped off with no effort and I saw no streaking or smearing at all. Wiped off just as easily as NXT or Wolfgang if you want a comparison.

As I wiped off the excess, I noticed an improvement over just AIO. Clearer, wetter and more reflective. Slickness seemed marginally better than AIO. The van looked like I had applied another layer of clearcoat that was still wet. I expected Zaino to look very reflective but I was pleasantly suprised with how wet it looks. Looks similar to EX-P but with somewhat sharper reflections. Overall, very nice appearance! :xyxthumbs

EDIT I replaced the pics shot at dusk with these taken this afternoon. Still ugly out but more light. AIO + Z2 x 3 layers in these pictures.

A couple more on my site:

http://www.scottwax.com/nxt_and_zaino.htm

================

After taking the pictures, I still have some ZFX mixed Z2 I needed to use up. I QDed with Z6, then applied another layer of Z2. Again, by the time I finished, I could remove the excess. I then used the last of the Z2 applying a 3rd layer. Like I said earlier, once the pad it primed, a little goes a real long way and it spreads with ease.

I noticed more improvement (albeit slight) with the 2nd layer than the 3rd, so I think 2 layers would satisfy most people. My only real complaint is the necessity to use ZFX if you don`t want to wait to remove the excess and want to do 2-3 layers at a time. I ended up with some leftover product that obviously I had to toss out. I guess it takes practice to be able to accurately know how much product you will need so you don`t mix up too much. I don`t know about the chemistry in Zaino so I don`t know if it is possible to make it so it sets up more quickly without having to add anything. In any event, it is a minor issue.

3 hours since I applied and removed the last layer, the finish is noticably slicker than it was when I finished and the reflections down the side are very sharp. My brother is very happy how his van turned out...and once I can get some pics in better light, you will understand!

I have enough Z5 that I can do another whole vehicle, my understanding is that Z5 is better on darker colors so I`ll be looking for something to try it on in the next week.

I may end up ordering some Z2 and ZFX since I do have customers I only see a couple times a year. With AIO as a base, Z2 is very easy to use and gives outstanding results and (based on what everyone says) the durability to go 6 months with a single application (probably 2 layers though).
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Zaino club., I`ve been seriously considering changing s100 paint cleanser for AIO in most of my details. So I`m glad you did it that way. It makes a difference in depth with AIO base. I would say I never use a pad. Once in a while I`ll use the makita buffer pad with Zaino that`s it. Mostly I use just by hand. I hesitate to make a complaint about Zaino but there is one. With that more reflective surface it often looks like you have a dent in your car, but when you get close you can tell it`s the shine, funny.

Originally posted by Scottwax

Burlyq-there are a couple dings in my brother`s Odyssey and they are quite obvious now...the one drawback with polishing and sealing.

Yes, I meant in general though, even the natural lines of the car look akward because of the shine at first. It took me a long time to get used to this. I keep looking at my car and saying to myself is that a dent? Then when I got closer it looked like a mirror. It`s just my experience I don`t know if others had it. I also believe your next coats don`t necasserily have to be enabled by ZFX, you should check the Zaino guidelines, it`s been a while since I have. I often put the next coat on with no ZFX and let it sit a long while and buff off with very nice results.

Nice Review.

This is an edited part, I checked the Zaino site for my own info. here`s what it said about show cars, "Also, please reapply ZFXâ„¢ Flash Cure Accelerator Additive after every ten coats of Zaino Show Car Polish (Z-2 or Z-5, Z-3 for non clear coated)."
    A day without a scrub busting my chops is like a day w/o sunshine. :grinno:

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice review Scott, I look forward to seeing the day time pics when you post them.

My impression of Zaino, is that it does not reach it`s full slickness and reflectiveness for around 24 hrs, I`d be interested to hear if this is your experience too.
    Later ......

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Burlyq-there are a couple dings in my brother`s Odyssey and they are quite obvious now...the one drawback with polishing and sealing. Neither one is very big though.

Mike-I noticed in just 3 hours there was an improvement in slickness.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I can`t wait to see the daytime pics.:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Very Nice Review Scott!

I had quite similar findings

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by RedondoV6

My impression of Zaino, is that it does not reach it`s full slickness and reflectiveness for around 24 hrs, I`d be interested to hear if this is your experience too.

I experienced this when i first used Z as well. I thought that the difference after 24 to 36 hours was quite noticable.

Scott - you`ll get a feel for how much to mix for the application. I do a couple of coats on my Max with about 1 ounce of product.

I resisted trying Z for many years, but i can say that i`m happy that i`m now using it. I have about 6 coats on my Max. I havn`t touched the car because of the crappy snowy and cold weather for about 2 months now. And it still looks as good as the day after my last Z application.

Bob
    2004 Nissan Maxima SE (silver with black leather)

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear it worked out for you. the van looks very nice.

:up

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice review Scott. Glad you found another premium LSP to offer your customers.

You have mail. :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Scott...

It`s nice to hear that you have the same impression as most of us. The mixing thing isn`t a big deal after you get comfortable with how much to mix.

Can`t wait to see those day time posts...
    Too many products ... too few cars!

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent review Scott. I too am anxiously awaiting the daylight pictures. What makes me somewhat interested in Zaino is the comment that it wipes off like Wolfgang which is a breeze. I am not all that wild about removing SG. If it is slick like Wolfgang and lasts as long as SG, then I think I may try it on one of my vehicles, probably my wife`s bamboo Lexus SUV.

Post Thanks / Like
    The last coat of Z2 or 5 does not have to have the ZFX in it. I use about a half oz. w/ZFX-Z5 and the last coat , Z2, is straight from the bottle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott,

How long did you spend on the detail? Can you break down the time you spent on AIO, Zaino layers etc?

Thanks
    Later ......

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott,

Great review!

When I first started reading about Zaino, I was put off by its seeming complexity. I read lots of posts about how much hassle it was to apply. After the first application howerver, I thought it was pretty easy.

The only real extra step is that you need to mix just the amount of Z5 or Z2 with ZFX that you want to apply in one sitting (standing?). And that depends on your method of application (I use a PC with red pad) and the size of vehicle. I found that one ounce gives my two coats on my Audi A4.

One small benefit of the little mixing bottle is that you can tuck it into your pocket while applying Zaino. For me, it`s very quick to reach into my pocket, dab a few drops on the pad, then close and pop it back in the pocket. It`s faster than walking over to the work table or shelf (wherever I stick it) and doesn`t break my workflow.

One other tip... Don`t be shy about using Z6. It`s a great QD that improves the shine and slickness. My Z5/Z2 combination has been on for over two months. I QD with Z6 after every wash. The paint looks pretty much like the day after the first application and the water still beads in small, high, tight drops.

Please post followups when you get a chance. I`m very interested in hearing about any tips that improve or speed-up Zaino application.

One QUESTION:

Before applying Zaino, is there any benefit to using AIO in ADDITION to a final polish (like FPII)? I.e., is AIO just a quicker, faster final polish or does it have other benefits as well?

Regards,

Dan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott,

So is this going to be your new durability LSP? If I recall, your previous choice was #16, are you going to replace it?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information