Post Thanks / Like

"Detailers shop version" of products

I know that some brands like Meguiars and 3M offer two different production versions: One for consumers, another for shops. Do you guys know what the difference?

Is the shop version better than those products from 4*, Poorboys (which afaik don`t have a shop version)?

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Detailers shop version" of products

"Normally" the shop version is made to work more quickly than the consumer version. However, the consumer versions are usually more user friendly. For example, some shop products are for use with a rotary buffer only. Many consumers don`t have the skill/experience with rotaries that would allow them to get a good job done-might even end up "butchering" the finish as a result.
    Consumer versions pretty much all are made to be used by hand and/or the "Mart" type buffers. They are usually less aggressive (less chance of screwing up the paint, but takes longer to "fix" defects), sometimes they have fragrances added, and often are a multi-purpose product (polish and wax in 1 bottle, clean and protect tire foam, etc.). The Pro versions are usually more dedicated to a task, and often require multiple steps (which isn`t to say that there aren`t "all in one" pro products-there are many "quick wax" type products available to pros for volume dealers.)

As to the Poorboys line, thery`re made to be user friendly and deliver professional results. They are even distributed by someone who has had experience in the "pro" detailing/bodyshop business. In my (limited) experience with "pro" versions vs. Poorboys, I would say that a person can get great results from either, depending on skill/environment. If you have to work in the sun/heat all the time, Poorboys would be the better bet, as many pro products require cool surfaces/shade to function well. Also, if you can use a rotary well, the pro products work well, but so do Poorboys.

In the end, the "best" thing is to try each and see which works for you. If time/money constraints limit this, I would say go with Poorboys, as I feel they are more versatile in application and more forgiving of "inexperience."
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Thread Information