My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Edge pad foam types (attn: Edge pad users)

To everyone using or thinking about using Edge foam pads, I just learned something new today! :phone:

I have used LC pads and Edge pads and have been wondering why the Edge pads are all "hard", even their finishing pads, while the LC white and black finishing pads are very soft and pliable. The Edge DA 2k Durafoam PAC sells is "closed cell" foam. The LC foam is "open cell" foam.

What I just found out today is if you like the quick disconnect of the Edge pads, but like the softer foam style of the LC pads, you can special order this open cell foam from PAC (Edge makes em special for you)

Personally, I like the "soft" type foam, especially for final polishing/LSP application. The white Edge foam just SEEMS too hard for my taste, but I`m a velcro-hater. So, I`m thinking of buying some of the open cell/soft foam pads to give me exactly what I want. From what I`ve been told today and make my own inferences on:

closed cell: *maybe* more durable, more friction, keeps product on the surface of the foam better

open cell: softer and less friction, conforms better to non-flat car panels

This is all personal preference, but I wanted to share you can specify either foam type with the quick disconnect 2k system.

PS - yes I realize this makes your decision on what foam type/colors/pads/system to go with more difficult...sorry Nice to have choices though, right?
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Edge pad foam types (attn: Edge pad users)

thanks, you get a point for that one, good research answered a few ?`s for me
    "at the end of the game, the king and the pawn go in the same box"

Post Thanks / Like

Just a point that seems to be misunderstood. The durafoam is not a closed cell foam. It is open cell just like our regular foam. It is the chemical makeup of the durafoam which makes it more dense. Even though the durafoam is more dense and seems more rigid it is still an "open cell" foam. That being said the blue and white durafoam is fine for finishing and though the regular foam is definitely softer and more "squishy" and might seem a more appropriate finishing pad, depending on your personal preference either foam is fine. Again, just to clear that one point, the durafoam is still "open cell" foam even though it is denser.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the clarification Saul. Kinda confusing. :crazy

And it does sound like personal preference...do you prefer firm or squishy?!?!? Um, yea...

TO ME, the firm foam seems more suited to defect removal and the softer more suited to polishing/LSP`s. That being said, it`s not like I`ve seen marring with the white Durafoam pad using a light polish or LSP.
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like

Firm or squishy? Am I on the right board?

Actually, it doesn`t matter to me, I like both. (Sorry to play both sides of the fence!) The durafoam actually softens up a bit when it heats up so you have both the nice feel of the dense foam with the softness to polish or finish. The regular foam is nice as well. Again, it`s whatever you prefer.

Post Thanks / Like

I use alot less product with The Edge 2000 Durafoam pads. The don`t absorb nearly as much product as the less dense foams.

I remember when you guys switched from your original foam to the new Durafoam and it was definately an improvement in performance in my opinion.

Dwayne

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sauld2d
    The durafoam actually softens up a bit when it heats up
    That is true, to an extent.

You guys should really make it more clear that all these custom options/choices are available. I kinda just stumbled on it because I was asking alot of questions. It might get you some more business from people who want it "their way" ...unless doing custom orders is a pain in the:moon: :hippi Just trying to help.

Everyone has their opinion, and I am no more right than anyone, but I have not heard too many complaints from people that the LC pads absorb too much product. :dunno

Post Thanks / Like

Although the custom pads are available from the manufacturer, we do not advertise them on our website because they do cost slightly more since they are custom ordered and we are not able to discount them when the orders are small. Not a pain, but not mass produced either.

If consumers want to special order them, the cost is $19.95 each for the Edge 2000 DA pads that are custom ordered.

By comparison, The Edge 2000 DA Durafoam Pads that we stock are $17.95 each.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wifehatescar
    Everyone has their opinion, and I am no more right than anyone, but I have not heard too many complaints from people that the LC pads absorb too much product. :dunno
    Not sure if I was clear, I wasn`t talking about LC pads in my previous post when refering to using less product with The Edge Durafoam Pads. I was talking about the Edge Durafoam absorbing less product than their open cell foams that were previously used for their Edge DA pads.

Less dense = more absorbancy = uses more product. At least this is what I have found during my testing.

Wait a minute! Why am I saying these things? Using more product is a good thing! :naughty

Dwayne

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dwayne for the clarification, my mistake. Honestly, I`d advertise them....we all spend $100`s or $1000`s each year on this stuff, to me $2 wouldn`t deter me if I wanted something specific. But, I`m rich like that

Even a $20 Edge pad is no more expensive than 2 LC pads.

Thread Information