Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

Collinite #476s review updated

This is a follow-up to the original Collinite review thread:

http://www.detailcity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7660

Just finished doing the entire car after 3 layers of FMJ over the last 2 weeks, no pics but here`s how it went.

I applied #476 manually using a damp MF applicator, small brick style. I did the panels in quarters & used a WOWO approach. I took off the residue with a PC @ 3 using my softest MF towel trapped between the surface & a pad.

DO NOT LET #476 DRY!!! If you do, this changes from WOWO (wipe on / wipe off) to WOGO (wipe on / grind off) .... yea, it`s that tough.

#476 is so hard in the container I did the entire car & I hardly left a shallow depression in the wax. 1 can = lifetime supply. It goes on pretty easy but it doesn`t some close to what it feels like spreading s100, you can feel resistance even when applying it.

The #476 was on the surface less than a minute & there was resistance buffing it off .... I`d never do this my hand.

I kept going over the surface until the MF started to "pinwheel" (if you`ve used this approach you know what I mean) meaning the residue had been completely removed. The MF would not slip-n-slid around if there was any wax on the surface, the MF would stay stationary while the PC did the work.

Note: if you use this trapped MF approach, a LC 6" pad is just textured enough that it`ll hold on to a MF towel like velcro. Even when doing the sides the MF towel never hit the ground.

IMHO, I think the car looks great and I don`t agree with the "golden eyes" people who say Collinite is durable but it doesn`t look good. I did part of a panel with s100 & I can`t see or feel a difference aside from 50% easier to apply and 10,000% easier to take off.

There was minimal dusting , hardly worth mentioning but I felt compelled to include that.

Consider the applicator consumable because #476 is supposed to be detergent proof & I doubt it`ll wash out. I tried washing the MF applicator with some bar soap, the unused side lathered up immediately, the wax side did nothing.

Granted my Accord is Silver & a darker color would be a better clarity, depth, and gloss test comparing s100 & #476 but I`m thoroughly satisfied with #476.

I`ll do another layer, perhaps two as time and weather allows.
    There`s a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Collinite #476s review updated

Quote Originally Posted by NYV6Coupe
    This is a follow-up to the original Collinite review thread:
    It goes on pretty easy but it doesn`t some close to what it feels like spreading s100, you can feel resistance even when applying it.

The #476 was on the surface less than a minute & there was resistance buffing it off .... I`d never do this my hand.

IMHO, I think the car looks great and I don`t agree with the "golden eyes" people who say Collinite is durable but it doesn`t look good.

There was minimal dusting , hardly worth mentioning but I felt compelled to include that.

Consider the applicator consumable because #476 is supposed to be detergent proof & I doubt it`ll wash out. I tried washing the MF applicator with some bar soap, the unused side lathered up immediately, the wax side did nothing.

I`ll do another layer, perhaps two as time and weather allows.
    Thanks for the update. I`m still waiting for time to pass.

I also noticed the resistance while applying. I attributed this to the cool ambient temperature and surface temp. It definitly isn`t as easy as P21S. I didn`t have any issues with removing it. I more or less did two panels removing the first after completing the second and so on.

I also thought it looked very good. I characterized it as a `glassy` look. I`m happy here.

I didn`t really notice any dusting. Maybe I got it on thinner. Don`t know.

It is definitly detergent proof when you try to remove it from your applicator.

I only have the one layer on my car so far. I washed it the other day for the first time since applying it -- about two weeks. Water beaded everywhere but the top of the trunk where it sheeted. It looked like I might have missed putting it on there. Don`t know how that could have happened, but at my age I`m not responsible for anything. :hah I applied 476S to the trunk lid with my fingers. I don`t know that I`d do that again. I also applied it to my wheels this time. I`m anxious to see how well that works at the next wash.

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

sgo:

The dusting many have been caused by using a bit too much wax & taking it off with a PC but, honestly, it`s tough trying to get "too much wax" on the pad. I thought it felt like rubbing the MF applicator on a candle.

Also, I was taking residue off with the PC so I didn`t concern myself with how much wax I was applying. It takes effort to apply but it does tend to go along way.

It was 48* yesterday & I thought that may have contributed to the resistance when applying the wax. Except for the hood, the surface was pretty cold.

It`s raining a bit today & the beads are tight & round. Lots of surface tension going on here, I think the beads are tighter & more uniform with #476 than with FMJ.

Most FMJ beads were round but many were odd shapes & after 3 layers of FMJ I doubt I missed any spots.

Post Thanks / Like

sgo:
    It`s raining a bit today & the beads are tight & round. Lots of surface tension going on here, I think the beads are tighter & more uniform with #476 than with FMJ.

Most FMJ beads were round but many were odd shapes & after 3 layers of FMJ I doubt I missed any spots.
    Interesting comment about FMJ. I`ve applied it to two cars - a Subaru Legacy (sold) and Forester (my wifes). It looked great on these red cars and was easy to apply. But...

It`s not lasting too long. After three weeks, the beads are oddly shaped (not round) and relatively flat. Yesterday, I tried to blow dry (using a Toro leaf blower) my wife`s car after a hard rain. The water didn`t come off easily. Sheeted mostly. Actually, I noticed that the beading started degrading in the first week.

I`m comparing this to Zaino Z5 which is on my Audi. The water beads are high, round and tight. At highway speeds, the wind blows the water off of the car. Time will tell how long this lasts, but I`ve seen no degradation of paint condition or water beading so far.

While I still like how FMJ looks on my wife`s bright red car, but I`m losing faith in it quickly. I`m thinking of stripping it off and then applying Zaino Z5 + Z2 within the next month.

Regards,

Dan.

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure that I read something that Poorboy posted in another thread some time ago, stating that diminshed beading does not indicate the product`s surface protection is fading.

So if FMJ does not bead as well after 2 - 3 weeks, I guess that means whatever it is in FMJ that beads water must be wearing off but the protection component is still working. Who knows for sure?

Personally, I like to see lots of tight, high beads. What else can I use to judge whether or not the sealant or wax is present & performing?

The whole point behind using #476 was durability so I`ll see how long it continues to bead.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure that I read something that Poorboy posted in another thread some time ago, stating that diminshed beading does not indicate the product`s surface protection is fading.

So if FMJ does not bead as well after 2 - 3 weeks, I guess that means whatever it is in FMJ that beads water must be wearing off but the protection component is still working. Who knows for sure?

Personally, I like to see lots of tight, high beads. What else can I use to judge whether or not the sealant or wax is present & performing?

The whole point behind using #476 was durability so I`ll see how long it continues to bead.
    I have only used FMJ once so far, but I have also noticed the uneven beading characteristics. I realize that beading and sheeting are simply the effects of varying surface tension. However, the uneven beading and pooling is resulting in a lot of dirty water spotting on my horizontal surfaces.

It will be interesting to see the results of your S100 vs #476 comparison. Please keep us posted. I`m particularly interested in your observations regarding looks, beading, and dust attraction.

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

marj: I don`t expect the s100 to last as long but I`ll post-up when it starts to loss it. As of today, with zero sun & light rain, the s100 & #476 look identical on the deck lid and dust attraction (so far) is non-existant.

here`s a quick update:

2nd layer of #476 went on MUCH easier, almost like it`s designed to be layered.

Actually came off easier, too. With my Accord being Silver, it`s easier to miss some residue so when I was finished I walked around the cara with a clean MF to do a final wipedown. I found a spot on the PS quarter panel that I missed & the wax hand been on there for about 45 minutes ... I was getting ready to break-out the 100 grit paper.

It came off as easy as when I was doing WOWO, taking off residue with the PC.

Also, it didn`t seem to dust at all this time .... go figure.

I`m still liking the shine, if only the sun would come out so I could better assess what it looks like.

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried using a qd, or even water sprayed on the residue to remove it (when it gets really hard)? I`ve had good luck this way with other waxes (#16, etc.).
    Has anybody had luck removing dried Collinite? Was thinking of trying some, but not having much luck finding any in Canada.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Livin' the good life
    Post Thanks / Like

where are you located in Canada? If you`re anywhere near the border in Ontario, you can buy Collinite #845 (liquid) off-the-shelf at any CarQuest location for about $12 US.

Otherwise, did you try & Google this: "collinite" "canada" `cause I came up with lots of hits

I didn`t try the QD `cause I used a WOWO approach.

Secret is .... don`t let it dry & I really think taking the residue off with a PC gave me a glossy shine that I wouldn`t have otherwise. Perhaps the PC was generating just a bit of surface warming (it was less than 50* when 2nd layer was applied) & it burnished the surface ..... who knows but it looks nice & the water beads are really tight, tall, & round.

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I Googled, and most hits are US companies that have the words "Collinite" and/or "Canada" somewhere in the web page. Only 3 authorized distributors in Canada. BC, ON, NS. Not having much luck. Might try the Carquest next time I`m down there. Thanks!
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Thread Information