Post Thanks / Like
    I have never used a wheel cleaner on any of my wheels on my personal cars. I just don`t have a need for it.

When detailing the cars of others, I use a very strong acid basd wheel cleaner cut 50/50 with water. It makes the job so much quicker and gets the area behind the spokes really clean. I wouldn`t go on a detail without an acid based wheel cleaner. Of course using common sense with its application is key.
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EBPcivicsi
    I have never used a wheel cleaner on any of my wheels on my personal cars. I just don`t have a need for it.

When detailing the cars of others, I use a very strong acid basd wheel cleaner cut 50/50 with water. It makes the job so much quicker and gets the area behind the spokes really clean. I wouldn`t go on a detail without an acid based wheel cleaner. Of course using common sense with its application is key.
    Just a word of warning to anyone that ever uses heavy-duty acid based wheel cleaner products...

Be very careful, acid can KILL YOU.

Hydrofluoric acid is commonly used in heavy duty wheel cleaners and exposure to skin or enhalation of fumes can attack your body and deplete your bones of calcium within hours, if not minutes!

Don`t think that sulfuric acid is any safer! Mixing sulfuric acid and ammonium bifluride together in a wheel cleaner CREATES HYDROFLUORIC ACID!

I`m not pointing any fingers at any company or brand. Since this thread did get on the subject of acid based wheel cleaners I am obligated as the owner of this website and as someone knows that acid is not something to take lightly to mention the dangers of HF acid. It is out their on the market.

If someone insists on using this type or product please be aware of the risks involved to both person and property and take precautionary measures to ensure both your own personal safety and also those that may be in the surrounding area.

Dwayne

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, something safer suits me better.

I am pretty health concious (not saying you aren`t EBP). I find between Wheel Wash and Simple Green, I get the rims, tires, and wells very clean.

I am trying out 4*`s and Poorboy`s Wheel Cleaners soon too. Those are both safe as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the acid getting to me? Did I make this this a new thread?

Thanks for looking out for us Dwayne. I always wear gloves, goggles, and never use it on windy days. If I had a detail shop I would never use it, but with my limited weekend warrior exposure I hope that I am taking the correct precautions.
    Word of Mouth Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I had some heavy acid based cleaners but I do not use those any longer. The reason was not just health related. I found that you really had to be careful on certain type of rims, as to not stain them.
    I stopped when I did a Jeep Cherokee and the rims turned a white color. What happened is the acid dulled the clear coat. I about lost it thinking that I had messed this guy rims up. I was able to polish it out and they looked great.

The Four Star wheel gel and a good strong degreaser seem to do anything that I have run up against so far.

I still have some acid based cleaner but I use that only on chrome and again you have to watch not to hit the plastic parts like the certer cap
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne
    :eek I think I will check the bottle when I get home to see if it contains HF.

Perhaps I should go back to alkaline and elbow grease!!
    Word of Mouth Detailing

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also agree with Dwayne (happy birthday) and HF and sulfuric acids are very dangerous in the wrong hands. I would not use them or make them due to safety reasons. I also believe it is illegal in many states to transport those acids over state lines without special permits.
    Either way, some people do need to use strong acids, depending on their work, and if you do it is a must to always use gloves and goggles as EBPcivicsi said and always use them in well ventilated areas, no garages:nono
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Poorboy: For the record and to ensure that everyone understands, does your new Spray N Rinse wheel cleaner contain any of the dangerous acids mentioned by Dwayne?

Can you tell us what acids it does contain without giving away a "trade secret"?

Thanks,
    Later ......

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I can tell you it does not contain HF , sulfuric or boric acids ...they are highly restricted acids that take a permit to cross state lines...usually they are also cheap acids sold by local chemical companies.

There are no SAFE acids...they all must be used as directed and should be used by Professionals or enthusiasts that understand that directions and safety precautions should always be taken...ie gloves, goggles, and a well ventilated area of use..

My L5-S1 is killing me! wifehatescar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is a strong base like A2Z "safe" to get on your skin for a short period of time? I`m sure the label says rinse off skin immediately, etc but everything says that these days to avoid legal action if someone gets hurt.
    Last edited by wifehatescar; 10-01-2004 at 02:19 PM.
    We can rebuild him. We have the capability to make the world’s first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better Stronger Faster

Post Thanks / Like
    Precautions are puton labels for usually the worst case scenario, but if you follow the precautions, you are much safer when using any product.
    Can you get A2Z on your skin, probably ...if you have very sensitive skin then I wouldn`t:nono but I`d also wash thoroughly after use of any chemical be it a wheel cleaner or polish, or even wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy
    I can tell you it does not contain HF , sulfuric or boric acids ...they are highly restricted acids that take a permit to cross state lines...usually they are also cheap acids sold by local chemical companies.

There are no SAFE acids...they all must be used as directed and should be used by Professionals or enthusiasts that understand that directions and safety precautions should always be taken...ie gloves, goggles, and a well ventilated area of use..
    Thanks very much for the reply, that puts my mind to rest. I can order some more SNR now!
    Later ......

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wifehatescar
    Is a strong base like A2Z "safe" to get on your skin for a short period of time? I`m sure the label says rinse off skin immediately, etc but everything says that these days to avoid legal action if someone gets hurt.
    I`m not a doctor so I cannot give you a definite answer, but I have used A2Z for a while now with no problems. If I do get any on my hands I just rinse my hand in the wash bucket I normally have around and then rinse with a hose. Also like PB`s suggested, I always use these chemicals outside, never in an enclosed space where I might breath in overspray or fumes.
    Later ......

Mike

Thread Information