Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Zaino Review

Post Thanks / Like
    About 2 or 3 years ago when I started getting into automotive detailing, I heard about this product called, Zaino Brothers Car Polish. I read about it and searched and found the Zaino website. No online ordering? Well I thought to myself, this must be a crock. Well not to long after, I found Autopia and began reading about Zaino and heard about the dreaded Zaino Zealots. Those people who refuse to use anything else besides Zaino and all of the other stuff. Well, it pretty much turned me off to this product and up until recently, it was one of those products I vowed I would never use. So this winter I got to thinking, well maybe I could give it a try. There must be something good about it, all these people swear by it. To tell you all the truth as well, I was tired of buying ho-hum products and chasing the latest fads and trying to make my car look like Scottwax pictures- no offense Scott- your work is great, but so are your photography skills. So I decided to try Z.

I prepped my car by washing with 1Z Perls, claying with Autopia clay and Pinnacle lubricant. The paint was at this point in already good shape. Then I use Menzerna IP with a white polishing pad to get rid of a few swirls accumulated over the winter. I forgot how much I like IP on my car. It breaks down wonderfully and is a breeze to remove. Then I went with Menzerna FP with a finishing pad on speed 6. After that, I honestly wanted to stop because my paint looked perfect. The FP is kind of difficult to remove, but it burnishes the paint wonderfully without fillers- it squeaked when I removed the FP. Swirls were gone and they weren`t just filled, the paint was glossy and vibrant.

Next up Zaino.

First I took an Autopia microfiber pad and applied a dime size portion of Z1 and went to my fender. I applied like the directions stated, let it haze. I did this to the whole car. Note- Z1 smells awful. I was borderline sick when I finished the car. Then I opened up the Z5 and it smelled great- blueberries/fruity. I applied the Z5 thinly with a new MF applicator. I applied it to the whole car and since I wasn`t using ZFX, I knew it had to sit for a while. I let it sit for about 4 hours and it seemed dry enough to remove. Sure enough, it removed fairly easily. I was tired so I went to bed.

Next morning, I got up and looked at the car. It looked great, so I went off in my beater (not the Bimmer) to run errands. By the time I was back, it had been about 24 hours so I figured I could add another layer of Z5. This time, I put another layer on and then pulled the car out into the sun. It was in the sun for about 2 hours, then I put it back in the garage for another 2 hours. I went to remove it and it was so hard to remove. It seemed like it was dry, but it streaked and was so difficult to remove.

I searched here for Z5 streaking and didn`t find much. So next, I went and washed it with a strong solution of EF Power wash +. I chose this wash because it is strong- supposedly like Z7, which I don`t have. Well it took care of some of the streaking. Next, I decided to QD it with, hold your breath, Sonus QD. I don`t have any Z6 and thought Sonus might be a good match. It removed 95% of the streaking, yet a little still remains. I am hoping one of the Zaino vets can chime in here and tell me my problem.

This morning, I brought it out and took these pictures. This is exactly how I want my car to look.

Does it look plasticy? No

It looks just like it did after I was done with the FP, which is exactly how I wanted it to look.

All in all, I couldn`t be happier with the look. The streaking is the only thing that puzzles me? :nixweiss

So am I a new Zaino convert? I think I might be...

So here are the pics-

Wheels were done with AIO and SG, tires were done with Tiefenflieger and then Platinum Tire Gel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    The streaking with Zaino is usually a sign that the coat was too thick and can also be a sign that it hasn`t fully dried.

Did you use Z6 to help remove the product?

What did you use to lubricate your pad?

How much Z2/Z5 per coat did you use?

When I first started using Zaino, I could never believe how little product I was using. My first coat went on way too thick but using the ZFX bottles allowed me to notice right away that I was using too much product.

I would have tried a mild car wash first... the Powerwash+ from what I recall reading is some pretty strong stuff.

By the way, your car looks awesome. Nice work!
    Too many products ... too few cars!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great review Greg :up

I never had problems removing Z5 *but* I felt the new version is somehow harder to remove than the old one.

Did you misted the pad before application? I usually spray it with Z6 or distiled watter to help spread the product.

I never let it dry for so long tho, and even if I have ZFX I haven`t ever used. I apply Z1 followed by Z5, no need to haze, let it dry for 1/2 to 1 hour and remove.

The way you described how it looks matches my opinion on it. It doesn`t change the way the paint looks, it`s just like if you added another coat of clear coat. If you liked it so much it has to do with your prep, as you said, the IP/FP looks is fantastic! By Zainoing it your like protecting it, that great look. This is also my opinion.

:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    i had the same streaking w/ z5 when used in the sun, so i stoped using it in the sun.

i know it says it can be used in direct sunlight but that just wasn`t working for me.

i have the old formula (~3 years old), this stuff lasts forever, i mean that in terms of durability AND product usage.

let us know how you feel after the car gets washed. hazing issues are big problem for me, and i am so gentle washing it

Post Thanks / Like
    I misted the pad with distilled water because I don`t have any Z6. I am pretty used to putting on SG so I really don`t think that it was the thickness of application that caused the streaking, although it certainly could have been. I didn`t feel that the Z5 spread quite as thinly as SG does. SG is very very watery consistency which helps for thin applicaiton.

As for the power wash plus wash, I just mixed up a standard mix of it. Yes, it is strong, but so is Zaino. After the wash, it still feels extremely slick and it doesn`t appear to have adversely affected it.

I also think that maybe my car not being clearcoated may have had something to do with the streaking. The paint is nearing its 14th birthday here in June and lets just say, I have polished it a lot! I think that maybe the decreasing thickness has made it streak easier. Oh well, it still wasn`t as bad as Platinum streaked on me and a wash took care of most of it, where as I had to go get the AIO for the Platinum.

I also want to thank sonnydaze and Intermezzo for their generosity in donating the Zaino to me. Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    The Platinum also was easier to remove w/ their QD. But as I said in another post that was an early version of UPP.

For un-clear-coated maybe you should have used Z3

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg nice review. You should post in the review section so others can read this as this thread moves on. Excellent explaination on how you used this product and established a clean canvas (prep) in order to reach your personal conclusion.

Since you are not using ZFX, allow these first 2 coats to cure for about 5-7 days. Wash and apply another coat of Z5. I am sure the streaking problem will decrease as coverage (sealing) of finish increases. If you plan on stay with Zaino I would highly recommend the Z7 wash. :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    Very informative review.

Just FYI-my pics look exactly like the cars do in person.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Great review Greg. Zaino sure is a lot of work though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg, here`s one I did last year, same color as yours

Scottwax, here`s why I recomended you that 3M Finishing Glaze

Post Thanks / Like
    Jose`, I use the 3M PI III Machine Glaze after Menzerna IP and FP and I agree that on black it really works wonders in terms of depth and richness. :xyxthumbs

Holly Marie
    just goes to show ya... "never say never!"

Thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well what would any review be without low lighting super deep dipped in canola oil reflection shots where the paint actually might look bad, but who could tell shot:

Post Thanks / Like
    Last one

Post Thanks / Like
    Great review and great pictures.

I am not sure that Z5 is "intended" for non-cleared paints; that may have something to do with it streaking. You may have applied it too thick, also. 1 oz. should have done your whole car 3 times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information